PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-14-2009, 08:14 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Pfalz DIII.a 1/33 scale BUILD THREAD

Okay, guys, gals, and small woodland creatures.

I'll be posting a build thread on the following, over the next few days!

The DC

ps. This assumes my computer can handle posting pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Pfalz DIII.a 1/33 scale BUILD THREAD-cover.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: doc cover top.doc (34.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-14-2009, 08:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Welcome to the Kerass, DC!

Looks like you and your computer broke the code on posting pics.

Neat airplane! Can't wait to see your build.

Don
Old 05-14-2009, 08:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looking forward to your build thread.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Another Pfalz! GREAT! Mine suffered some damage in transport from our recent evacuation/re-occupation, so it's in the shop for repairs. I'll be interested to see your reaction and experience with this kit. You'll surely get ahead of me, so please post easy step-by-step photos to make it easier for me!
Best of luck and I look forward to following your course here.
Chris
Old 05-15-2009, 07:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
good luck! i hope it build nicer than the LaGG so far which do not fit very well in some areas and which would benefit from real instruction.
Google Adsense
Old 05-15-2009, 03:43 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Here goes...

For my first build thread I present one of the models in the contest. I have no expectation of winning; my time is too tight, but I appreciate the opportunity and the effort Chris is making to provide photos for his customers.

This is an interesting kit. I like the subject, the Pfalz DIIIa, an effective and attractive fighting plane from the Great War. Over 750 were built of this specific craft, over 1000 of the DIII design. The design did not reach use until 1918, giving it limited time to establish itself. There was also some suggestion that established companies of the period lobbied against its acceptance in an effort to promote their own products. It was reputed to have the unfortunate habit of twisting under age and use, leaving the frame distorted over time. Some suggestion was made that this was due to insufficiently aged lumber used during what was described as a labor intensive construction effort. The DIIIa was modified from its predecessors with guns that were more accessible on the top deck, allowing for limited in-flight servicing, not possible with the previous DIII design. It is sleek and attractive and was flown by the red baron himself [watch out for Snoopy!].

The craft had a 160 hp Mercedes engine, two 7.92 mm cowl mounted machine guns, and a top speed of 102 MPH. Replicas of the DIII style craft have since been built, one for a movie and another for historical display.

The kit is extremely detailed with many parts that allow for the desired "I can't believe its not paper" impact we seek. The cabin, engine and extra can provide an excellent final product with a visual punch. It has excellent graphics that make the final build quite impressive. The colors are also excellent, wood grain parts had tonation that appears very realistic. The kit consists of a cover sheet, a second page of history and data, and 5 pages of parts. A page and a half of designs and diagrams are the only instructions [see]:

This is the kit's greatest weakness. It provides nor direction to speak of nor building tips. Given it is so highly detailed, this impacts the enjoyment of building it.

Next post we start the process of construction.

Slainte'

The DC

Last edited by THE DC; 05-15-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:57 PM

Here are the instructions...

Snoopy was messing with my computer to avoid the publicity of this kit again! Here's the promised design pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Pfalz DIII.a 1/33 scale BUILD THREAD-diagram-close-up.jpg   Pfalz DIII.a 1/33 scale BUILD THREAD-directions.jpg  
Old 05-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Kewl I built one of these a long time ago - very fun build

Something to think about... when someone does a full build thread I will link to the thread from the purchase page. This will act as pseudo instructions! Plus generate a link in for the forum
Chris
Old 05-15-2009, 04:42 PM

You read my mind...

I was going to suggest somthing similar; a future contest where the points are allocated for the quality of instructions for some of these well made kits, but are too detailed for a single build diagram!

The DC

Last edited by THE DC; 05-15-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Looking forward to this one... Great color scheme.
Google Adsense