PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-31-2015, 12:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter

Hello PM's,
Time for a new project and during building of the D-XXI the idea gradually took root to build the Fokker G-1. However, in the end I chose something without cylinders and propellers, just for a change. So the G-1 will have to wait a little while.

I once built the 1:50 scale WMV F-104G Starfighter and after 20 years it’s still on display in my home. It was a pleasant model to make, every part fitted well and we’re talking pre-computer era here. I couldn’t resist posting a few pictures of this one to start with.
Even longer ago I built the 1:33 Revell plastic model of the F-104G as it flew with the Dutch Air Force (Koninklijke Luchtmacht) until being replaced by the F-16. That one didn’t survive the passing of time; I must have blown it up with fire crackers because that's how the plastic models usually ended. High time to explore the F-104G in paper.

In 2013 Kartonowa Kolekcja (KK) published a wonderfully printed and detailed F-104G of the German Luftwaffe as it flew with JBG-34 based at Meminge Air Base in Southern Germany and I decided to build this beauty. It cost less than 10 euros at zeistbouwplaten.nl, which is an amazingly friendly price for such quality and hopefully many, many hours of building enjoyment. There’s an interesting movie on YouTube meant for instruction of German aircraft mechanics that shows a lot of details of the aircraft during pre and after flight inspections (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKv9lsdln7E). When watching the video I felt some of that Cold War atmosphere again, so familiar when I was a kid back in the seventies. Almost like youth sentiment.

The kit is contained in an attractive A4-size booklet, consisting of a detailed history, building instructions and 10 pages for the model itself; altogether over 600 parts. The text is almost entirely in Polish, except for the explanation of construction symbols, which is also in English. The instruction drawings are very clear and remarks in the drawings can easily be translated online so language isn’t really a barrier although my curiosity about the rest of the text remains. Perhaps mastering Polish should be made a mandatory skill for paper modellers.

Before starting to cut I sprayed the parts pages with Talens Oil/Acrylic based matt varnish and let them dry overnight. Assembly then starts with the cockpit. The pedestal is not glued in place yet, first the pedals have to be installed and at this point the assembly already consists of 44 parts. Everything fits perfectly. Next will be the highly detailed instrument panel and ejection seat. You simply wouldn’t believe this is all paper, especially when using the optional parts marked in blue, which give further enhancement of details.

Well, that’s it for now.
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7316.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7320.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7321.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7312.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7311.jpg  

Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7313.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7315.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7357.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7358.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7360.jpg  

Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7361.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7362.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7389.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7390.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-31-2015, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Nice choice.

I too purchased this one as well as the GPM version. I think that this version you are building is better since the fuselage integrates the engine intake transition instead of the GPM version which glues the sides on.

Also, I see you did not purchase the laser frames. What about the canopy? There is one already made for this kit.

Isaac
Old 05-31-2015, 01:54 PM

Hi Isaac,

Thanks for tuning in. I wasn't aware of the canopy, a good one to keep in mind although I was thinking of trying out Ostoja's method when the time has come.

Deliberately didn't purchase the laser frames, the formers do not look that complicated and up so far the 0.5mm and 0.9mm thick cardboard I'm using work out just fine. A matter of cutting as precise as possible.

The KK F-104G has very good reviews, better than the GPM to be honest, that was the main reason for me to go for KK. Although the GPM version has a more detailed engine aft part, but that's hidden in the exhaust pipe. Someone posted pictures of the GPM F-104G last year or so but I can't seem to trace them back on the site.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 05-31-2015, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
hi erik,

A really interesting model you're starting, and with the shape of that fuselage and intake I bet it's not going to be a simple one to do !
Even the gpm looks good this is the kit I would do too, much more details.
For the canopy as I saw, only gpm sell one.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
looks great my friend.

YOAV
Google Adsense
Old 05-31-2015, 10:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 425.39 MB
Looks great. As i like the 104 I will follow with interest

Currently building: Colonial Viper from Uhu02
Finished:
Yoav Hozmis Kfir
Old 06-02-2015, 05:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I think these Luftwaffe 104's were eventually tagged as 'Strauss' Folly', if I recall correctly?
Old 06-05-2015, 02:23 AM

Instrument panel and ejection seat

Hello everyone, thanks for your reactions. Chris, I'm not sure about the nickname - I couldn't trace it back. The only one I ever heard is "widow maker".

Back to the model - The instrument panel consists of various layers, some of them are optional. I used all options, which means the painstaking job of cutting out more than 20 very small circles in the upper panels. I did not use a clear sheet in between to simulate the glass parts but used drops of Tamiya clear gloss instead, which gives the same effect. I have never detailed an instrument panel like this before but it’s all worth the effort, especially since the canopy will be in the opened position once the model is finished. The "glass" looks a bit milky at the edges but that's because I took the picture right after applying the paint.

The control stick is a simple but effective design. It looks like a complicated thing but consists in fact of two parts only: One part to roll into a tight tube, with different lengths that create the “relief” and a small circle to be put on top as a cap. Simply amazing; this makes paper modelling so extremely attractive.

The ejection seat is pretty straight forward and consists of quite a few parts. After assembly of the entire seat I varnished it as final protection layer but did not install it yet in the cockpit. Just put it in place to show in the pictures. First the skins around the cockpit section as the seat might simply be in the way during the process and could get damaged. I'm still studying some actual pictures and consider to add a few more details later.

Have a nice weekend ,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7393.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-rscn7418.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7412.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-rscn7395.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7411.jpg  

Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7413.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7469.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7471.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7472.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7473.jpg  

Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7474.jpg   Kartonowa Kolekcja 1:33 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter-dscn7475.jpg  
Old 06-05-2015, 04:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.24 GB
Wonderful detailing, and nice clear photos showing it off!!
Old 06-05-2015, 05:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.38 MB
Great instrument panel!
Google Adsense

Tags
f-104g, starfighter