PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-06-2015, 09:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build

I have the wonderful pleasure of using my bit of free time during this summer to do a beta build of Murph's BMW Schnellbomber 1. This is pure Luft '46 stuff, and it's my favorite design of the bunch.

I am building this straight as designed and printed. I am keeping the connected glue tabs. I usually remove them and add my own connecting strips, but I thought I'd give the old tabs another go. The only fancy stuff I'm doing is edge coloring, and using cardboard behind the engine plates, and on the wheel sides.

1. The model is 8 pages + 1 instruction sheet.

2. I started the build by doing the wing spar box. As this plane has a very unique wing shape, I thought I'd build it and test if I'd need to add reinforcing to the wing spar. After building, it is quite rigid, so nothing else should be needed at this small of a scale.

3. Some details of the wing spar- engine exhaust ports (exhaust exits trailing edge of wing, to these spots will be visible.

4. Nose section rings formed

5 & 6. Nose section completed. ( I had some trouble with the tiny tabs fitting properly at first. This was my doing, as once I got the pieces massaged correctly, they went together well.)

7. Mid fuselage sections formed

8 & 9. Mid fuselage connected to nose section

10. Tail section parts

11. Tail sections formed

12. Completed tail and nose sections: I dry-fit the nose and tail sections at this point to try and find an approximate center of balance. Doing this helps determine about how much nose weight will be needed.

13. I settled on 3 small fishing weights. Not sure on the actual amount of weight (size 5 weights)

14. To prep for adding weight, I stuffed a small amount of glue soaked napkin (or paper towel sometimes) into the nose section and packed it in place.

15. I rolled the weights in glue, and dropped them in place in the nose on top of the napkin. I then packed more crumpled napkin on top of the weights until I filled the fuselage section to the wing box openings.

16. Vertical and horizontal tail pieces. Be sure to NOT score the leading edges. These should be rolled to a nice smooth point, not creased.
(Note, there is an optional tail piece included that does not have the swastika)

17. Assembled empennage

18. Completed tail section

19. Completed fuselage (with wing box inserted)
Attached Thumbnails
Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build-img_0110-copy.jpg   Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build-img_0111.jpg   Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build-img_0112.jpg   Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build-img_0113.jpg   Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build-img_0114.jpg  

Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build-img_0115.jpg   Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build-img_0116.jpg   Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build-img_0117.jpg   Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build-img_0118.jpg   Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build-img_0119.jpg  

Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build-img_0120.jpg   Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build-img_0122.jpg   Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build-img_0123.jpg   Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build-img_0124.jpg   Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build-img_0125.jpg  

Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build-img_0126.jpg   Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build-img_0127.jpg   Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build-img_0128.jpg   Murph's Models-BMW Schnellbomber Beta Build-img_0129.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-07-2015, 12:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 244.87 MB
great job I will continue to watch :-)
Old 07-11-2015, 12:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Slight delay on the Schnellbomber. While building a backyard play set for my kids the other day, I managed to cut two fingers on my left hand. Well, I cut one right on the side of a knuckle, and the other had a chunk of skin ripped off when it got pinched by the wrench. The cut is basically healed, but the missing flesh is very tender. Much like a blister that got ripped off. It should be all good to go on Monday.

On the build, I spent Wednesday building up the engines using the cardboard discs for strength. But, they look horrible. I'll rebuild them with just the card stock Monday. And of course, lot of pictures!
Old 07-11-2015, 05:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
What an interesting subject. Unfortunately, the swastika on the right side is reversed. If I ever get to do this, I will likely use the unmarked tail, gloss coat, decal, and then flat coat. Otherwise, wow!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2015, 07:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Sorry to hear that, willygoat, get well soon and keep your good work going.

Papermate
Google Adsense
Old 07-11-2015, 09:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Interesting choice. What scale is it?

Isaac
Old 07-11-2015, 11:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by at6 View Post
What an interesting subject. Unfortunately, the swastika on the right side is reversed. If I ever get to do this, I will likely use the unmarked tail, gloss coat, decal, and then flat coat. Otherwise, wow!!!!!!!!!!!
I can never get those stinkin' swastika's on right. How did they do it in real life?
Old 07-11-2015, 11:48 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 594.81 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
I can never get those stinkin' swastika's on right. How did they do it in real life?
Do you use Wikimedia for your icons?
(It might help a little).

Link: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C...e:Swastika.png.

-RunwayOneSixRight (Matthew)
Old 07-12-2015, 12:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I usually hand draw them in Rhino and project on to the part That way they sit right. or wrong in this case.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:30 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 594.81 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
I usually hand draw them in Rhino and project on to the part That way they sit right. or wrong in this case.
Okay, that was just a suggestion to whether or not you want to use the .PNG images or not.

-RunwayOneSixRight (Matthew)
Google Adsense