PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-24-2009, 04:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
FG racers

Jay's thread about FG's Gee Bee R1 build remided me of my resolution of building all racers from FG.
At that time, a couple of years ago, I built 7 racers as is shown in the first picture then forgot about it.
Today renewed my determination and started building Wedell Williams racer as first one. I'm going to build other racers from time to time in between other kits build.

Paper I use is glossy photo copy paper because all racers are painted gloss paint.
Two problems in using glossy paper are
1. Chipping off of color at cut edge
2. Dificulty of gluing glossy paper with ordinary glue for paper modeling

To solve first one, I cut out the parts in two steps. First, cut the parts about0.5mm to 1mm larger than black line. By doing this, we can prevent significant color chipping off. Cutting out narrow strips perhaps alleviate the stress created by plowing knife blade in between paper ( I wish I could describe this with flawless writing like Don-sama does:()

To solve second problem, I peeled off top glossy layer where glue is to be applied.

Today built only part of fuselage. There are many gaps but building this simplistic yet well designed kit gives me satisfaction

Yu
Attached Thumbnails
FG racers-racers.jpg   FG racers-ww_0001.jpg   FG racers-ww_0002.jpg   FG racers-ww_0003.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-24-2009, 06:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuG View Post
Jay's thread about FG's Gee Bee R1 build remided me of my resolution of building all racers from FG.
At that time, a couple of years ago, I built 7 racers as is shown in the first picture then forgot about it.
Today renewed my determination and started building Wedell Williams racer as first one. I'm going to build other racers from time to time in between other kits build.

Paper I use is glossy photo copy paper because all racers are painted gloss paint.
Two problems in using glossy paper are
1. Chipping off of color at cut edge
2. Dificulty of gluing glossy paper with ordinary glue for paper modeling

To solve first one, I cut out the parts in two steps. First, cut the parts about0.5mm to 1mm larger than black line. By doing this, we can prevent significant color chipping off. Cutting out narrow strips perhaps alleviate the stress created by plowing knife blade in between paper ( I wish I could describe this with flawless writing like Don-sama does:()

To solve second problem, I peeled off top glossy layer where glue is to be applied.

Today built only part of fuselage. There are many gaps but building this simplistic yet well designed kit gives me satisfaction

Yu
Beautiful work Yu... It gives me satisfaction to see such clean precise modeling.. Looking forward to updates.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:10 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Thanks for sharing YuG, your posts always inspire me to seek a new and more
professional level..

Ray

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-24-2009, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Yu-sama, I see your appreciation of simplicity. For me, the ultimate model of simplicity is the FG Spitfire. Chip doesn't like his old models as much anymore, as they are so different from the new ones, but the simplicity of a hand drawn model to me is a special thing. Like a sketch from Degas..
Old 05-24-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuG View Post
( I wish I could describe this with flawless writing like Don-sama does:()
Yu
I know what you mean - Don's command of the Emglish language is nearly perfect.

(Sorry, Don - I couldn't pass that one up.)
Google Adsense
Old 05-24-2009, 09:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Yu-sama: Many thanks for the gift of this thread. I look forward to seeing the FG versions of the famous racing plans take shape under your skilled hands. I'm also glad to have the benefit of your lessons on how to build these models.

Thank you for the compliment, but as Ron points out so gently, many of my posts are riddled with typographical errors in spite of my efforts to catch them. (Bravo Zulu, Ron.)

Glen -- I just printed out a couple of the Spitfire/Seafires. They ARE pretty!

Don
Old 05-24-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTroll View Post
I know what you mean - Don's command of the Emglish language is nearly perfect.

(Sorry, Don - I couldn't pass that one up.)
:D:D:D No offence, Don-sama, I didn't say that. Just implied and Ron-sama remembers... :D:D:D
I know Don-sama intentionally made mistake to put me at ease in writing Emglish showing even Monkeys fall from tree. You are the nicest person I have ever met since I was born.

Yu
Old 05-24-2009, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
That's a very attractive air show you have there. I can see why you would want to add to it.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Very nice collection Yu. Would make a neat mobile.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Yu, have you tried printing on card stock and then spraying gloss? If the finish were to be acceptable then it would be much more satisfactory than struggling with coated paper.

And I don't understand the comments about language since I don't see errors in your command of English. One of my observations after working basically all over the world is that non native English speakers frequently have better command of it than people who grew up with it. Don is an example of that (OK, cheap shot, but I couldn't help it).

Your models are always beautiful also.

Carl
Google Adsense