PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-12-2018, 10:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.75 GB
Russian diorama ideas

Straight off CNN this morning: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/r...rts/index.html
Google Adsense
Old 09-12-2018, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 683.22 MB
Yukon version

And, if you want a Yukon version (airport served the route to Russia during WW2), look at Watson Lake .

Regards,
John
Attached Thumbnails
Russian diorama ideas-watson-lake-airport.jpg  
Old 09-12-2018, 03:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Correct me if I'm wrong John, but way back when these were built, wasn't Alaska part of the USSR?

I find these old wooden buildings quite fascinating. Way way back when I was a wee chavvy just starting primary school, it was in an old pre-war wooden building. Behind it was another old wooden building that was the Junior school, which I also attended a few years later until I was 11.

I'm fast approaching 75 now, and on checking Google, would you believe they are not only still there, but they are still in use as Primary and Secondary schools.

OK, it's not as stylish as the russian airports, but it's in much better condition.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:23 PM

Wooden buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong John, but way back when these were built, wasn't Alaska part of the USSR?

Hi John. Actually, Moscow cashed the cheque from the US about 75 years before the airport facility at Watson Lake was built. And the Yukon has continued to be on the Empire side of the border .

The windows on that school are great and should warrant an architectural card model .

For my own appreciation of wooden buildings, I still have to get to this one on my list: Russia Church of the Transfiguration - Europe - Architecture - Paper Craft - Canon Creative Park

Regards.
John
Old 09-12-2018, 06:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
It is a grand old building in it's way I guess. Back when I was at school that green quadrangle actually had a Peacock and Peahen in residence, but I very much doubt if they are still there.

What I really find surprising is how square the old wooden roofs still are. No sign of sagging at all yet, unlike me that is.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:26 AM

Lend-Lease

And, yes, since Watson Lake was on the aircraft supply route to Russia, you can park your red-star marked P-39, P-40, P-63, Hurricane, A-20, B-25, and C-47 in front of the Watson Lake terminal . If anyone is interested, I am in the process of seeing what drawings of the terminal I can get.

Regards,
John