PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-30-2009, 04:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well, my card modeling friends, this is likely to be the last post in this thread.

The model served its purpose, that being to help guide my students in their own builds. But the model itself just is not getting my creative juices flowing.

For one thing, as I hinted earlier, it is not a highly detailed model, and I find it increasingly difficult to get motivated by less-detailed models once I have progressed past a certain point on the learning curve. That's not a knock against simpler models, heavens no, since we've all seen beautiful examples of finished simple kits. It's just who I am as a builder.

Second, in this photo P-51D Mustang, Paper Models International, 1/32-bad-alignment.jpg you can see the bad graphics alignment I discussed earlier. Comparing the front cylinder (to the right) with the one aft of it, you can see that some panel lines match up dead-on, some are too high, and some are too low, all on the same seam. I believe that that is just faulty drawing, and not something that can easily be fixed. The other seams are similar, and the alignment between the two sections that comprise the checker boarding around the nose is even worse (the two parts are not joined, because not only was the alignment bad, but the fit between the too parts was way too tight as well). As a bonus :o , you can also see where I smudged the silver ink. I think Tacky Glue and metallic finishes are not well-suited too each other.

So, finding it hard to press on with this particular model, I think I shall move right along with my next Marek Marathon build, since I have restocked my supplies of card stock and color ink and can now proceed with printing the kit -- look for it in the Marek Marathon sub-forum!

TTFN,
Old 06-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Might try some simply constructed models with good graphics for the kids' first attempt (get something done and in their hands before proceeding to more complex and detailed models). The Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center (jleslie48.com) has several rocket models aimed specifically at kids. Look in the real space downloads about half way down.
Might not be challenging enough for you, but the kids are the target audience (and it's their first time).
Yogi
Old 06-09-2009, 08:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
That's not bad advice, Yogi. In the past, I have had students build various simpler models. I once had us all build one of the HO-scale old west downloads from Thomas Pleiner's forum as a group build. All these strategies have met with varying success. Usually, in addition to having little or no basic building skills, the students also have no patience, and they are not keen on having to build one of the simple models first. The class is part of a series of one-week electives, and some kids are only in the class because that is what was available, so motivation is a factor, too. Oh, well...

I wish Rick had reminded me about boomerangs earlier. I think I'll do a class on those next year.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoyle View Post
For one thing, as I hinted earlier, it is not a highly detailed model, and I find it increasingly difficult to get motivated by less-detailed models once I have progressed past a certain point on the learning curve.
I couldn't agree more. In fact, I really believe that just because the model is made out of paper, it doesn't have to look as it it is. So, I prefer models of the Halinski calibre that can be made to look as if they are a multi-media kit.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:59 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoyle View Post
I wish Rick had reminded me about boomerangs earlier. I think I'll do a class on those next year.
Well, the beauty of a good boomerang is, it will come back

otherwise it is just a stick

Many happy returns(pun intended)
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 06-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Chris,
It's all about motivation - and attention span. Nothing wrong with sneaking up on them.
Here's a thought. Have the kids build the 1:288 ARES I from Roland's launch complex at the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center e-gift shop (jleslie48.com). Should take less than an hour. Be sure to leave a 1/4 hole at the bottom - inside diameter of either the nozzle or add a paper washer. If you need instructions, pull the larger ARES (for the less experienced builder) from the LHVCC at http://jleslie48.com/gallery_models_real.html (3/4 of the way down the page) - direct link is Index of /aresb09 .

Then, bring out the $10 Rocket Launcher (or start with the launcher shooting straws and let them do a rocket build to launch later) posted on Jon's miscellaneous page at the bottom. You can sneak in some real science while the kids fling straws around the room. The lesson book containing the launcher plans also has a diagram for a simple glider they can launch (pretty good flier). The glider might be their first paper model (rather than "paper airplane") since it has a folded triangular backbone for a fuselage.

Bait ...
P-51D Mustang, Paper Models International, 1/32-fwb-science-explosion-2.jpg

Fish (brain?) on!
P-51D Mustang, Paper Models International, 1/32-fwb-science-explosion-4-simon.jpg

We had a continuous line for both launchers all day at this event - just under 300 total kids. Had to refresh the piston seals once and straighten a launch tube once (used Aluminum on these instead of brass - not as stiff) - try that with 'yer $200 Pitsco launcher.

Yogi