PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-18-2015, 04:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation

When I built Gerry's repaint of Bruno's L-1049 Super Constellation, I discovered
that the fuselage appears to have a hump and the NORTHWEST graphics doesn't
seem to line up horizontally. Would Gerry have a look at it to see if it is just my
build problem or a need to adjust the design of the relevant sections of the fuselage,
please. An overlapping pic is attached for your reference.

Papermate
Attached Thumbnails
Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation-dscn5071.jpg   Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation-pic-1.jpg   Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation-pic-2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-18-2015, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
The hump is authentic. The original Constellation became the Super Constellation when it was 'stretched' by inserting about two meters just in front of the wing. It was also given stronger engines, to be able to carry more passengers. This broke the fantastic dolphin-like line of the fuselage. I am sure Google and Wikipedia will give all details you want.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Hi Papermate, it looks like the fuselage of the NW Connie is in another scale.
The hump indeed is authentic, the misalignment of the graphics might be due to the simplified curvature in the hull. I guess you could make it better by using an embossing ball or small marble to roll the 'hump' in a more smoother shape from the inside.
Also helpful in smoothing the curves is to cut off all the glue tabs and use inner glue strips, so the hull parts will connect more seamlessly.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
I think I agree with Papermate, the stretch was in fact a constant diameter section in the middle of the fuselage (prismatic). The sloping of the fuselage to the cockpit and upwards to the tail should be very gradual, not as abrupt as now seems to be the case in the model.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
I checked my facts again, searching several Google entries. The original Constellation (L049) was 95ft 3 in (29.03 meter). The stretched version, called Super Constellation, came in a large number of varieties with small differences in length - the L1049 C (for instance) was 113ft 7in (34,62). So not just two meters longer, but 5.59 meters. I found only one reference to how this was done: Lockheed experimented with tube shaped elements 'in front of, and behind the wing'. When I prepared my own publication of model of the KLM Connie (Paper Trade - see my website - Zeist Bouwplaten - Import, verkoop, ontwerp en productie van papieren schaalmodellen, maquettes en bouwplaten (cardmodels), Modelbouw, Rietveld cutoutmodels) I read somewhere that in the end, the lengthening tube (same diameter at both ends) was inserted before the wing. This is quite noticeable in the Schreiber model of the Super Connie. I also found the picture below: the stretch part seems to begin at the vertical line just forward of the lettert LUFt(hansa).
Attached Thumbnails
Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation-constellation_wiki.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-20-2015, 06:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Thank you guys, that's very educational and informative. If a re-paint of the graphic in question is not forthcoming, the only way for me to do is print a continuous band NORTHWEST and glue it on both sides of the model. Of course the original graphics on relevant sections of the fuselage will have to be wiped out first.

Papermate
Old 09-20-2015, 12:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
I think I agree with Papermate, the stretch was in fact a constant diameter section in the middle of the fuselage (prismatic). The sloping of the fuselage to the cockpit and upwards to the tail should be very gradual, not as abrupt as now seems to be the case in the model.
That actually was what I meant to say. The model's hump is very abrupt up and down and should be much smoother. I thought it just was because of the simplicity of the model.