PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-03-2015, 06:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.28 GB
Mikoyan Gurevich MiG 21 Prototypes & Variants (Design & Builds)

Hi all,

I have started a new project of collecting, designing and building prototypes and variants of the world famous Jet fighter of the 20th century, the MiG 21.

Here, I am posting some of the prototypes and variants that I have cataloged with the help of the INTERNET. Which by all means would be made as papermodels and the build updates would be continued following this post.

Here are some I know and some I would like you guys to identify, You can suggests any such prototypes and variants that I have missed here.

Prototypes:
=============
1]. Ye-2

2]. Ye-50

3]. Ye-66A

4]. Ye-150

5]. Ye-152A

6]. Ye-152M

7]. Ye-8/1 and 8/2

8]. Ye-10

9]. Ye-5

10]. Ye-I-75F

11]. [Suggest more folks, in reply]

Fighters:
========================
1]. MiG 21 F/F-13/ Fishbed C

2]. MiG 21 PF/ Fishbed D

3]. MiG 21 FL/Type 77 (Build by HAL, India)

4]. MiG 21 PFM/ Fishbed F

---------------------------------------------------------------------
This PFM is wierd considering the high angle of Canopy shield

5]. MiG 21 I Analog

6]. MiG 21 R/RF/ Fishbed H

7]. MiG 21 S/N/PD/MF/Bis/ Fishbed J

MF
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wtxWkuwXax...252Bdesert.jpg

8]. MiG 21 SMT/ Fishbed K

This SMT is kinda short!!

Others will be posted in next instance...
Google Adsense
Old 10-03-2015, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 342.84 MB
Missing one:
Croatian MiG-21UMD

And this is the image for MiG-21I Analog

Old 10-03-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ahsani View Post
Missing one:
Croatian MiG-21UMD

Thanks Raja,
yes I am missing so much more. Trainers and chinese derivatives and other upgraded versions such as Bison, LanceR, 2000, and so on... Keep them coming.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.56 GB
The Ye-2, Ye-4 and Ye-5 are the immediate predecessors to the MiG-21F (MiG-21 F-13 when they removed one canon and added the AAM)

That Ye-10 looks like a photoshopped pic of the Ye-8 2nd prototype.

It's not that the SMT is short, it's that it has a huge saddle tank that altered the handling in flight and was disliked by its pilots. That's why the MiG-21 Bis has a smaller spine.

The MiG-21PD was a VTOL demonstrator. Fixed undercarriage and very short combat radius.

The PF/FL/PFS/PFM look more like a continuum than a set of distinct variants. Front hinged or rear hinged canopy ? Narrow chord fin or wide chord fin? Drag chute under the fuselage or under the fin?

Last edited by cafe; 10-03-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:29 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
My penchant for the Mig-21 is well documented in my Mass Mig building thread, so you know I
would be eager to see some of the prototypes, and an SMT would be a most welcome addition to my collection!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense
Old 10-03-2015, 08:02 AM

Some prototypes are being designed in Russia and will be tested in Nepal after this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Mikoyan Gurevich MiG 21 Prototypes & Variants (Design & Builds)-ye-8-107.jpg   Mikoyan Gurevich MiG 21 Prototypes & Variants (Design & Builds)-mig-e8.jpg   Mikoyan Gurevich MiG 21 Prototypes & Variants (Design & Builds)-smt.jpg  

Last edited by bkensky; 10-03-2015 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Correct post is the last one
Old 10-03-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe View Post
The Ye-2, Ye-4 and Ye-5 are the immediate predecessors to the MiG-21F (MiG-21 F-13 when they removed one canon and added the AAM)

That Ye-10 looks like a photoshopped pic of the Ye-8 2nd prototype.

It's not that the SMT is short, it's that it has a huge saddle tank that altered the handling in flight and was disliked by its pilots. That's why the MiG-21 Bis has a smaller spine.

The MiG-21PD was a VTOL demonstrator. Fixed undercarriage and very short combat radius.

The PF/FL/PFS/PFM look more like a continuum than a set of distinct variants. Front hinged or rear hinged canopy ? Narrow chord fin or wide chord fin? Drag chute under the fuselage or under the fin?
My first thought about the Ye-10 was so as yours, Only one image is available but there is a 3-view available attached with this post. Yes the PD was a testbed for requirements that later lead to the development of MiG 23. The SMT seen as Republic of OSITIA can be compared with the SMT just above it and differences can be seen clearly.

Yes the P variants differ from each other in some points. Notice the Weird looking P variant at the last, the canopy looks weird to me atleat, so sexy .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texman View Post
My penchant for the Mig-21 is well documented in my Mass Mig building thread, so you know I
would be eager to see some of the prototypes, and an SMT would be a most welcome addition to my collection!
Hi Ray! I am in awe by the one man build you did years ago. I can't promise so much production but I would build one model for each prototype, variants, trainers and derivatives. I have collected some so far but I guess I have to design missing models by my own.

BTW, the variety of models you represented on that thread is so fascinating. Is there a model available of 21-93?

So much to R&D...
Old 10-03-2015, 08:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.76 MB
Hi Bkensky - I have the YE-152 of hobby model ready for a build.
I have already built the mig 21 of GPM and the mongol of electronic card models.
The mig 21 is one of the classics that will never disappear.
Here are some photos of the two.

Yair
Attached Thumbnails
Mikoyan Gurevich MiG 21 Prototypes & Variants (Design & Builds)-20150914_094707.jpg   Mikoyan Gurevich MiG 21 Prototypes & Variants (Design & Builds)-20150914_094753.jpg   Mikoyan Gurevich MiG 21 Prototypes & Variants (Design & Builds)-20150914_094738.jpg   Mikoyan Gurevich MiG 21 Prototypes & Variants (Design & Builds)-20150913_151821.jpg   Mikoyan Gurevich MiG 21 Prototypes & Variants (Design & Builds)-20150913_151735.jpg  

Mikoyan Gurevich MiG 21 Prototypes & Variants (Design & Builds)-20150913_151759.jpg  
Old 10-03-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyair View Post
Hi Bkensky - I have the YE-152 of hobby model ready for a build.
I have already built the mig 21 of GPM and the mongol of electronic card models.
The mig 21 is one of the classics that will never disappear.
Here are some photos of the two.

Yair
Are these papermodels!!!! I thought them to be of plastic kit, So well built and preserved Way better than in any other material. Your MiGs look sexy and realistic. I have them so they will be build again in 1:200 scale.

Keep more coming guys, I have to find out what versions are missing and should work on them to complete the lineup.

I am looking forward for your build of Ye-152.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.56 GB
The Ye-8/3 is a what-if. Here is the source. See also that Ye-8U at the bottom of page 5 and the MiG-21Sh at the top of page 6. MiG actually worked on something like that but based on the MiG-21I Analog (analog wings + duck nose + side intakes + armored cockpit). And you'll find another variation on the Ye-8 by Chernayaakula on that page: a Ye-8I Analog