PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-14-2015, 12:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.22 MB
The FG Montgolfier revisited

I found myself looking into my files for a montgolfier balloon after watching a PBS documentary on the reconstruction and launch of a full size one. I found the FG one and decided to have a go at it (my least favorable card creation is a sphere) I discovered that it had tabs..so the card thickness would show on the overlap..next time I will remove the tabs and use an internal connector strip with the segments butt joined...much smoother finish. I did not follow the suggested procedure and started with the bottom tabs. I found the that balcony/basket was too small according to period prints so I used the large file version (the file had a regular about 1/50 and a larger version) and reduced it by 80% , it looks better now, the inside of the neck was lined with the same exterior wood minus the bunting, I also lined the basket with the same strip used on the gallery wall. I then used a spoon to burnish the joints on the inside as best as could be attained. The result was far from the quality I produce especially after seeing the humbling quality of the likes of "space odyssey" ...and I still have not started the last BRDM of the series...(bucket list project)
Attached Thumbnails
The FG Montgolfier revisited-montgolfier-1.jpg   The FG Montgolfier revisited-montgolfier-launch-1.jpg   The FG Montgolfier revisited-montgolfier-3.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-27-2015, 12:02 PM

The Montgolfier launch base

I finally decided to finish the base which should offer no problems...however when I tried making the steps, which I thought would be a simple fan fold, it turned out to be a daunting task! I tried three times using scoring, bending on straight edges etc. every thing bending...could not get a decent set of steps which would fit on the stringer provided. So I went to my stash of Evergreen styrene angles and picked a size close to the one on the model...the riser/tread ratio was 1:1 which is not Accurate but much better by far than anything I could produce from the print!.The angles fitted perfectly of course and the side walls had to be built in a different way, I made a box of three trapezoids and fitted the steps on after glueing the treads on, turned out quite nice (could never do them as per FG!) I finished the model by adding the cobble stone paving and the mooring ropes as depicted in the period prints.
Attached Thumbnails
The FG Montgolfier revisited-launch-base-steps-2-2-.jpg   The FG Montgolfier revisited-launch-base-steps-2-1-.jpg   The FG Montgolfier revisited-launch-base.jpg  
Old 10-27-2015, 12:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Nice diorama

Really give the model some scale

Tim
Old 10-27-2015, 03:00 PM

Thanks, if I attempt this again it will be a butt joint segment balloon, the tabs just add a thickness which should be avoided.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
Very nice work! I remember similar problems with the steps. I added a wire to the base so my balloon hovers about three inches as it "lifts off". The wire is hidden by a "smoke plume" of polyester fibers spray-painted black so some white still shows. (Don't use cotton balls -- they soak up the paint and turn into coal lumps.)

I use these fibers for most of my smoke/steam effects, and you can find it fairly easily now at any major craft store -- it's stretched to make spider webs for Halloween decorations. (Not sure if the "snow" used for Christmas scenes is the same material -- looks like denser stuff.) And when sprayed with orange and/or yellow paint, they make very impressive flame columns under a rocket model. Try a bag before they disappear -- the Halloween stores are already clearing out inventory.

David T. Okamura
Google Adsense
Old 10-29-2015, 07:34 AM

Thanks Dave..the smoke idea was one of the issues on my mind (apart from the difficulty of producing decent card steps!} The smoke is in more than one period print so I just blackened the pit and its edges with pastel black. Do you have a trade name for the poly fibers? I know spiderweb but I have no idea what to look for these poly fibers..will definitely try them..and the wire.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.47 MB
Great job on the modifications! I find most FG models to be a good starting point, but in need of some modifications to look right, and enjoy the challenge of figuring out just how far I can take their simple plans. I've had the Montgolfier on my list of to-do's for a long time now. Going to save this post for when I finally get to it.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
The Montgolfiers thought it was smoke, not hot air, that was the lifting factor. Thus, their fire pits were fueled with combustibles that produced lots of dark smoke. This is perfect for elevating the balloon from below, as the support wire can be hidden by the plume.

I don't know the actual name of this material other than the bags of "spider webs" I grabbed at a crafts store -- a little goes a long way. You might also try polyester fiberfill stuffing (used for quilts, pillows, etc.), but the formed padding mats might not be fluffy enough for this purpose.

David T. Okamura