PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-26-2015, 12:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 613.72 MB
Next parts:
Underwing radiators and airscrew with spinner.
The radiators were simple: Open boxes, reinforced with the front and rear face of the coolers themselves.
Airscrew: In order to get a blade right, I clamped the lower surface down with a pair of tweezers that close by themself by spring action. Anybody knowing the right english word??? Then i folded the upper / front side over and edge-glued it to the bottom / rear. Cut the lower part to shape, then gave them a "core" of a toothpick cut to fit.
Built the spinner, glued the wire axle into it. Some years ago, I had made my self a simple rig in the shape of a box that got the hollow "stem" of a cotton stick in the center. Now it came in very handy, because I could get the airscrew blades perfectly aligned. Before anybody complains about the airscrew turning wrongly counterclockwise. Sorry folks, this is perfectly right: The Griffon had a different transmission than the Merlin!
Next pics: Assembly so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Spitfire MK.XIV by Evgeniy Polovinnik, 1/33-adscf4371.jpg   Spitfire MK.XIV by Evgeniy Polovinnik, 1/33-adscf4384.jpg   Spitfire MK.XIV by Evgeniy Polovinnik, 1/33-adscf4386.jpg   Spitfire MK.XIV by Evgeniy Polovinnik, 1/33-adscf4387.jpg  
Building: Cavalier Mustang chase plane by David Winfield, 1:33
Not a native english Speaker. Thus, constructive criticism is always welcome!
Old 11-26-2015, 01:11 PM

Next area: Canopy.
1 st thing was the gun sight: Some fiddly detail work, but doable.
Then the canopy frame: I paint the edges and the rear face with water colours when the parts are still safely in place in the cardboard sheet. When dry, I cut the parts from the sheet, apply small amounts of glue to the rear face with a tooth pick or similar and let it set for a moment. Then I attach them to the canopy and press them down lightly. The canopy was a prefabricated part, originally made for the venerable Spitfire MK.V by fly model. Fits very well.
I glued the canopy to the fuselage with tiny droplets of CA glue. This attacks the laser toner, but dries matte, so I could correct it with water colours.
Next parts: The wing cannons. Actually a simple, rolled affair. The only problem: Nothing said about them in the building instructions, so I had to refer to the pictures of the finished thing on the homepage of gremirmodels.com.
Attached Thumbnails
Spitfire MK.XIV by Evgeniy Polovinnik, 1/33-adscf4388.jpg   Spitfire MK.XIV by Evgeniy Polovinnik, 1/33-adscf4391.jpg   Spitfire MK.XIV by Evgeniy Polovinnik, 1/33-adscf4392.jpg  
Old 11-26-2015, 01:24 PM

Last parts:
Details. Rear view mirror, pitot tube, finished.
I did not fully use some alternative detailing possible with this kit: You can also build it with the landing gear down, separate control surfaces and radiator flaps.

Verdict:
+ Very attractive model of a rare variant, an absolute looker;
+ Excellent parts fit. Building just flows along smoothly;
- Could use more detailing in the cockpit area and more fuselage segments to do full justice to the flowing lines of the real thing;
- Building instructions could use more details and more attention to the specific model variant;
- Michael Krol apparently has made very bad experiences with pirated copies. He uses his very own file format which makes it near impossible to refine the model. This will get even more irksome with the PR.XIX as the vertical cameras are simply in the wrong place with this model.

Still, I really recommend this kit to anybody interested in late variant Spitfires. It is a very welcome addition to any collection.
I guess this is my 13th or 14th model of this beautiful bird.
And now for the P-51 by Emil Zarkov!

Cheers, Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Spitfire MK.XIV by Evgeniy Polovinnik, 1/33-adscf4394.jpg   Spitfire MK.XIV by Evgeniy Polovinnik, 1/33-adscf4395.jpg   Spitfire MK.XIV by Evgeniy Polovinnik, 1/33-adscf4396.jpg   Spitfire MK.XIV by Evgeniy Polovinnik, 1/33-adscf4397.jpg   Spitfire MK.XIV by Evgeniy Polovinnik, 1/33-adscf4398.jpg  

Last edited by sparrowhawk; 11-26-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A real beauty!

Very well done.

Don
Old 11-26-2015, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.06 GB
Great job, awesome spitfire!

-C-2A Greyhound
-Br.1050 Alize
Google Adsense
Old 11-26-2015, 07:24 PM