PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-18-2015, 04:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 56.48 MB
Maly Modelarz PZL P.11c,

At this years IPMC, my Castle Hohenzollern was awarded the "Silk Purse from a Sow's Ear" prize, and the prize was the Maly Modelarz PZL P.11c kit from 2003:
Maly Modelarz PZL P.11c,-pzl-p.11c-cover.jpg

I can't start building until after Thanksgiving, since my work area has been commandeered to deal with the horde that will be descending upon us in a week. But I've been getting prepared.

First I translated the instructions, now available in the download area.

Then, since this is a plane I know basically nothing about, I got myself a good book about it - one full of all sorts of pictures:
Maly Modelarz PZL P.11c,-511stodml2l._sy344_bo1-204-203-200_.jpg

I like this kit very much. The instructions and the assembly diagrams are excellent. The designer even thought to include a disc that you can insert into the cowling to hold its shape during assembly, since it's assembled off the fuselage then slid over the completed engine.

There are a number of optional parts, including filler caps that install on top of printed areas to give a 3-dimensional effect, complex or simple wheels:
Maly Modelarz PZL P.11c,-page_005.jpg
and the option for separate control surfaces. The separate control surfaces are rather simplistically done, and I haven't yet decided whether I'll do them (I probably will, but I'll wait to decide).

The one piece I don't like is the front edge of the cowling (part 78):
Maly Modelarz PZL P.11c,-page_006.jpg
This is a single part, less that 0.25" wide, that's supposed to be scored down the middle and folded to create a peaked ring, attached to part 77 on the outside and part 79 on the inside, to create a 3-D front to the cowling. I'm not sure how to score, fold, and then form that properly. I'm planning to print several copies of that part and practice, but if anyone has thoughts, I'd appreciate them.

Another thing I find strange is that ALL of the parts are printed on cardstock - including the parts that are supposed to be rolled (e.g. gun barrels). In most other kits I have, these parts, and often the bulkhead/former templates, are printed on thin paper. I'll see how rolling goes with this stuff, but I might well wind up printing these parts on thin paper myself, if I can get a good enough color match.

I'll be back with the start of the build in a couple of weeks. I think this will be a lot of fun.
Google Adsense
Old 11-18-2015, 04:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
This is a pretty good kit from MM. Their designs improved significantly from about 2000 on as well as the quality of the paper in the booklets. Earlier kits can be a bit crude in design and were printed on thick, coarse paper. Looking forward to your build.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
I'll be following along!

Greg
Old 11-18-2015, 08:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm looking forward to this build, David.

Don
Old 11-19-2015, 01:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 102.73 MB
Hello

I will follow this thread too.
This iconic Polish fighter has several different issues from few authors and publishers. Yours kit was made by one of the best cardmodel designer.
I'll try to help if it will be necessary.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
The front cowl piece: I would use a drafter's circle template to lay over the piece and use it as a guide when scoring to get a good circular score. Then just gently pinch the part to get it folded. This will be my plan of attack whenever I get to this build in the future.

Greg
Old 11-19-2015, 05:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Very good model with few small issues, but fun to build - maybe my thread MM Aviation Contest PZL P.11c will prove helpful.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:04 AM

Greg - not sure I have a template that large. Also, the leading edge really should be rounded, not sharp, per the pictures from the book I got. I think what I may try (on a copy) is to use a narrow burnishing tool down the center of the piece and see if I can just round it over manually.

Michael - Thanks. I will look at your thread.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Looking forward to following your build! I see you like to build aircraft and castles/architecture. Same goes for me.

Regards,
Erik
Old 11-20-2015, 10:34 AM

Yeah, I like planes and architecture. I'll do something with space for IPMC next year, and I bought a military truck kit at this year's IPMC, just for the heck of it.
Google Adsense