PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-22-2016, 03:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
An older version

I built the Hobby model RF-84F version wich is similar in many respects.
RF-84F Thunderflash- Hobby Model in 1/33 scale

and a picture
F-84F - HobbyModel - 1/33-dscf0165.jpgF-84F - HobbyModel - 1/33-dscf0204.jpg

Hope this helps you somewhat

I am looking forward to also building your current version as well.

Nice looking machine.

Isaac
Old 01-22-2016, 08:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 52.76 MB
Hi Gerardo - the F-84 F of hibby model is a very nice model.
I hope I will be able to build it some day as I have many other
priorities and couple of models in half finished status. The
small fuel tanks are looking very nice and will certainly add appeal to the complete model.
I have the old IAFM model with Danish air force colors that was build some 8 years ago and is based on Wilhelmshavener design. This model is looking old and crappie now but as with
Wilhelmshavener models it captures the model general lines nicely.

Yair
Attached Thumbnails
F-84F - HobbyModel - 1/33-20151212_121008.jpg   F-84F - HobbyModel - 1/33-20151212_121057.jpg  
Old 01-22-2016, 11:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 52.76 MB
Hi Ricleite - sorry for confusing your name with Gerardo.

Yair
Old 01-23-2016, 01:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I've always liked this aircraft despite its acquired nickname, "Lead Sled". They were based in my hometown with the Alabama Air National Guard because the Birmingham airport had a 10,000' runway. The old joke was/is that: If a runway could be built to encircle the globe, Republic Aviation would build a plane that would require it!
Old 01-23-2016, 02:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 46.13 MB
Great model and work !

The conversion to the Thunderstreak in Holland has been called the toughest trainingschool. The trainees usually came from the T33 training.
There is no twin seater for the streak, so the young pilots got a familiarisation in a static cockpit from a crashed thunderstreak, followed by taxi and runway 'runs'. We had a system with a buddy seat on a hinge for the instructor outside the cockpit to give the trainees some support for the start on the runway. We accelerated and then powered down (of course) and repeated this a couple of times.
For the instructor this was a very cold and windy job
To my knowledge there was no other airforce that used this system.

After this the pilot was headed for his first solo on the streak. The instructor took off too and chased the trainee. During the first landing the instructor flew very low above the grass, next to the trainee to give him advice.
He had to keep an eye on the new pilot, his own heading and his height above the grass. Both pilots were transpiring profusely.

The streak was called 'a ground loving whore', 'heavier than concrete', and she was, especially with full pylon tanks. Difficult to land on a wet strip and a crosswind, she slipped easily.

The OCC (Operation Conversion Course) of the 315th Eindhoven often had more laundry in one day than other squadrons in a month !
Google Adsense
Old 01-26-2016, 08:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
That’s quite a feedback! Thanks for participating

@ Isaac – That’s a good point. Maybe the companies like to advertise a super performance in “clean” configuration, when the aircraft range is just enough to bomb the airfield perimeter. More seriously, it is interesting to see widespread use of conformal tanks on F-15s and F-16s. Most probably, a fighter performance with extra internal fuel capacity could be better than with conformal tanks, let alone “drop” tanks! Anyway, stealth is imposing a whole new set of rules…
Regarding your other post, I see that HobbyModel very much likes the many F-84 variants. The same goes with the MiG-15…

@ DavideV - Sure! I call (perhaps incorrectly) lamination to the process of separating a bit of thick paper into two bits of thin paper. You can force the separation quite easily on GPM and Halinski paper, for example. It is relatively easy and quite reliable. The printed half becomes more fragile but can be curved more tightly, which is useful for the tips.

@ DeltaPike – good joke I guess that, at the time, the takeoff and landing speeds were increasing steadily. With a lot of power, such as in the F-104, the takeoff run might be relatively small. With the F-84, well…

@ Longbow – thanks for the very entertaining information. Yes, cold and windy job!!! If I got it well, you did fly in an F-84? Wow!

I added a couple of paper rolls in each bomb, to ease assembly. The tail roll is simply cylindrical and works as an inside tab. The front roll is suitably shaped, as HobbyModel choose the slices method to model the nose. In this case, I’d prefer the nose to be modeled in the cone method, with some joints disguised by the color scheme. But that's how life is...
Attached Thumbnails
F-84F - HobbyModel - 1/33-f-84-c10.jpg   F-84F - HobbyModel - 1/33-f-84-c11.jpg   F-84F - HobbyModel - 1/33-f-84-c12.jpg  
Old 01-27-2016, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.13 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricleite View Post
@ Longbow – thanks for the very entertaining information. Yes, cold and windy job!!! If I got it well, you did fly in an F-84? Wow!
No, I haven't flown the streak. They were phased out in 1970, I was just 18 then.
I've got the insight from Evert Motshagen who was an instructor at the time, and full of stories
Old 01-28-2016, 07:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.02 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricleite View Post
@ DavideV - Sure! I call (perhaps incorrectly) lamination to the process of separating a bit of thick paper into two bits of thin paper. You can force the separation quite easily on GPM and Halinski paper, for example. It is relatively easy and quite reliable. The printed half becomes more fragile but can be curved more tightly, which is useful for the tips.
Oh, I get it. Not being a native English speaker I don't know what the proper name for this technique is, but I guess you're likely to be pretty close.

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 56.48 MB
Strictly speaking, that would be delamination, not lamination. Lamination would be gluing multiple layers together (e.g., when reinforcing bulkheads you are laminating the cardstock with the reinforcement).

Not trying to be overly pedantic, but I was wondering why multiple layers would improve things
Old 01-28-2016, 07:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.02 MB
[OT]
In my native language (Italian) the process of diminishing a layer's thickness is called laminazione (translated millwork), while a lamination (English noun) is a multiple layer structure. False friends...
Nonetheless, thanks for your correction... I like correctly naming things

Tags
kit, paint, glue, f-84f, quality, paper, white, hobbymodel, pages, 9, 5, cheap, parts, printed, assembly, trick, cellulosic, print, diagrams, copy, simple, effective, “plus”, thin, scheme, thunderstreak