PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-08-2016, 08:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hi Ricleite, beautiful result up so far. I hope the speed brakes will not get damaged during the assembly of the fuselage and the rest of the model. They look rather fragile. The way you make the wheels is a technique worth to keep in mind.

Regards,
Erik
Old 02-10-2016, 08:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
That’s a good point, Erik. It would have been wiser to keep the airbrake’s struts apart until much later in the assembly process. Well, it is at my own risk

The nose gear has a lot more detail than the main gear. I didn’t car to extend the wire down to serve as the wheel axle. It will bear almost no weight, anyway…
Attached Thumbnails
F-84F - HobbyModel - 1/33-f-84-c33.jpg   F-84F - HobbyModel - 1/33-f-84-c34.jpg  
Old 02-10-2016, 02:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Edited below.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricleite View Post
The fact is that I have easy access to a large scale plotter.
Aha! One more secret from Ricardo!

I remember Ric's formula ... I went back to the stacked circles .
Old 02-15-2016, 07:46 AM

@ Gerardo - these tires are of the "simple" variety, with a cropped circular section. Some tires, mainly on more recent jets, require more complex tires…
The front landing gear compartment is squeezed between the air intake ducts. So much that there a single wall, double-faced.
Attached Thumbnails
F-84F - HobbyModel - 1/33-f-84-c35.jpg   F-84F - HobbyModel - 1/33-f-84-c36.jpg   F-84F - HobbyModel - 1/33-f-84-c37.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-16-2016, 01:06 AM

What a beautiful clean build up so far. How I envy you!!

Erik
Old 02-17-2016, 08:25 AM

​Thanks Erik Looking at your F-104, it is a safe bet to say that you know it all about clean assembly

As you can see in the pictures, I added a lot of tabs, both to fix the landing gear compartments and to get a large gluing surface between the wing skin and the structure. So, it is not necessary to apply pressure in order to get a proper link. As you know, it is all too easy to deform the paper while gluing and the shiny paper shows any problem.

I didn't get a good curvature on the wing leading edge. The paper resists much more to be curved on one direction than on its perpendicular. Unfortunately, the wing skin parts are printed on the worse direction. The truth is that, on A4 format, it would not be possible to rotate them. Well, that's how life is...
Attached Thumbnails
F-84F - HobbyModel - 1/33-f-84-c38.jpg   F-84F - HobbyModel - 1/33-f-84-c39.jpg   F-84F - HobbyModel - 1/33-f-84-c40.jpg  
Old 02-17-2016, 08:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
how do you that? i never succeeded to connect like that wings, i always close the wing and after that attached it to the body.

well done

YOAV
Old 02-18-2016, 08:10 AM

@ Yoav – Thanks Most of the times, I use this sequence to glue the wing skin. There were exceptions, like Halinski’s Tornado and GPM’s A-7. In both cases, the landing gear doesn’t connect to the wings. So, it is possible to push the previously closed wing skin over the wing structure, as you suggest.

I find the first method more comfortable to align and fix the landing gear compartment to the wing skin. It also allows me to fix the landing gear solidly to the wings, as you can see in today’s pictures. Sometimes, the upper wing surface doesn’t mate perfectly to the fuselage but the wing root fillet is usually enough to hide most of the misery

Feel free to say that I’m just using the wrong type of glue but I always try to get a landing gear assembly where the (not so) weak element is a 1mm wire. If the wire that serves as the wheel axle can be curved to make an L inside the wing, properly fixed to the structure, fine! In this case, it was easy. Hopefully, the pictures are self-explanatory.
Attached Thumbnails
F-84F - HobbyModel - 1/33-f-84-c41.jpg   F-84F - HobbyModel - 1/33-f-84-c42.jpg   F-84F - HobbyModel - 1/33-f-84-c43.jpg  
Old 02-19-2016, 02:08 AM

Hi Ricleite, I have used the same wing assembly technique like you did a few times and came to the same conclusion: It provides you with a better span of control to install the wings with greater accuracy. It depends though on the "type of wing". In any case attaching wings to a model requires quite some planning upfront, dry-fitting and sometimes own improvements during the process to get the job done. Well, that's the charm of it all .

No doubt the landing gear will turn out great.

Erik
Google Adsense

Tags
kit, paint, glue, f-84f, quality, paper, white, hobbymodel, pages, 9, 5, cheap, parts, printed, assembly, trick, cellulosic, print, diagrams, copy, simple, effective, “plus”, thin, scheme, thunderstreak