PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-22-2016, 11:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
that's really well done, smooth surface; by experience I know this paper doesn't tolerate mistakes !
Old 03-23-2016, 12:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Wow, that's already an excellent start! How do you make those meticulously pointed cones? Silver printed paper is difficult to glue, without leaving stains - very well done Ricardo.

Erik
Old 03-24-2016, 08:17 AM

Thanks, friends

@ Erik – you may find it surprising but this silver paint is much sturdier than the “half-silver” paint on the F-84!
As getting sharply pointed cones with thick paper is beyond my reach, the trick is to delaminate the paper. If the part is small, I delaminate it entirely. If it is large (like those on the external tanks), I delaminate just a section near the tip. Half-cutting on the back before delaminating helps to get a regular border. It is a dangerous task. If you are over enthusiast at the half cutting stage, at best you mark the silver paint. At worst…

The wing structure is, in my view, very fragile. It has a single card spar, bent at the fuselage limits. I had to apply half-cutting to get decent bends and restored a measure of strength with extra paper strips, glued on the outer face of the bend after fixing the bend angle. A pair of card triangles, joined by a straight wire at the back, also helps.

The main undercarriage bays are extremely simple. They don’t have to support loads but I thought it wise to add a few card bits and gluing tabs.

The fuselage sections don’t fit very precisely. I choose to put the misery on top, where it will be hidden by the dorsal spine. For the moment, it is clearly visible…
Attached Thumbnails
MiG-21 / GPM / 1/33-mig-21-c16.jpg   MiG-21 / GPM / 1/33-mig-21-c17.jpg   MiG-21 / GPM / 1/33-mig-21-c18.jpg  
Old 03-24-2016, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.76 MB
Hi ricleite - your build is very accurate and the work with the silver paper
looks exemplary and very well done. As Eric pointed out your cones are looking like they came out of a 3D printer!
I build this model some 8 years ago and now the varnish lack made it looks rather yellowish. At the time , I build the fuselage by disk to disk attachments without the treads strips which is still the best method. As usual I downsized it to scale of 1:48 like the big plastic models. This way makes it easier to store the models inside a vitrine as they consume less space.

Yair
Attached Thumbnails
MiG-21 / GPM / 1/33-20141220_164851.jpg   MiG-21 / GPM / 1/33-20141227_193017.jpg  
Old 03-24-2016, 01:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 42.25 MB
Ricleite, your build is beautiful. I have this model and have been slowly building it in 1:18 scale. You put my efforts to shame.
Google Adsense
Old 03-25-2016, 03:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hi Ricardo, that's very smart to delaminate the paper. I've been experimenting with this as well but it is indeed a risky job. Likewise your experience I cut the way the inner layers that stick out after rolling to a tight shape (as the paper deliminates itself in the process) and then apply glue. Advantage of this is that you still have enough surface area to create the bond.

Your work is impeccable, a joy to follow.

Erik
Old 03-25-2016, 01:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 52.85 MB
Ricardo you are doing a very fine job in a model that it so simplistic that can turn that simplicity into hard work. As you know I already made this model in 2012 (I have pictures of the finished model here in the forum) and it ended up well in my opinion. Its a shame that GPM dont make improvements to the design when reprinting the model in new colours.

You delaminate the pieces of the fuel tank? I didnt do that and it worked well the same.

Surely it was easier to roll the paper for you than for me after you delaminate the paper.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:14 AM

@ Yair – I understand your space problem. My planes are kept at a large vitrine but it is getting really hard to find space for more. Sooner or later, the older models will have to migrate to another place. If all goes well, next year I should complete the 100th plane in 1/32 or 1/33 scale. I have to take a family picture, then…
@ Kingjason 14 – 1/18?! Wow, that’s big!!! When reprinting, you lose the shiny finish, right?
@ Erik – that’s it: rolling tightly and unrolling a small part is usually enough to get a neat delamination. On the bigger ones, it becomes problematic. The paper also gets horribly weak and that’s why I seldom use white glue on delaminated parts. If the part is only partially delaminated, it is easy to close the part on itself with white glue and deal with the tip at a later stage.
@ Tino – I only delaminated the tips. It is amazing that (I checked!) you did get a good result without delaminating! Regarding the GPM reprints/repaints, I agree.

The wings are assembled with the usual method: bottom face first, in order to have good conditions to install the landing gear bays and the landing gear itself.
Attached Thumbnails
MiG-21 / GPM / 1/33-mig-21-c19.jpg   MiG-21 / GPM / 1/33-mig-21-c20.jpg   MiG-21 / GPM / 1/33-mig-21-c21.jpg  
Old 03-28-2016, 07:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 42.25 MB
You are correct, no shiny.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Beautiful build. Very clean.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Google Adsense

Tags
gpm, kit, mig-21, 1/33