PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-19-2016, 08:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Erik, you've clearly achieved "seamless", you can't even see the joins. Beautiful.

JoeG
Old 04-19-2016, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.63 MB
Erik, es macht Spass dir zu zusehen!
Gruß Maxe
Old 04-20-2016, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.13 MB
Looking good Erik.
Beautiful plane !
Your son will be happy I'm sure
Old 04-21-2016, 11:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 425.39 MB
Hi Eric,
nice build so far. As far as I know the Canopy for the Kfir and the Mirage are the same. If you want, drop me a short line and I can send you some canopys. I already did a vac mold for it.
Netherlands should be good for postal fees

Currently building: Colonial Viper from Uhu02
Finished:
Yoav Hozmis Kfir
Old 04-21-2016, 11:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTschegsn View Post
Hi Eric,
nice build so far. As far as I know the Canopy for the Kfir and the Mirage are the same. If you want, drop me a short line and I can send you some canopys. I already did a vac mold for it.
Netherlands should be good for postal fees
you are absolutely right about the canopies of the KFIR and the MIRAGE

YOAV
Google Adsense
Old 04-22-2016, 12:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your kind offer but I'm building the Mirage on scale 1:33, so at 91% size of the original and I'm not sure what the size of your mold is.
I'm currently making a vacuum box and see if it leads to something. To maintain some sort of progress I'm working the air intakes as well.

If I screw up, I may gladly take up your offer and will let you know!

By the way, how's your Kfir coming along? Thought you were still in the final stages of completion?

Cheers,
Erik
Old 04-25-2016, 12:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Vacuum box and air intakes

This weekend I spent a few hours to make a vacuum box to prepare the canopy. Found an interesting tutorial on YouTube how to make one, and it wasn't that difficult. Most of the effort was to drill the holes, 225 altogether, with a diameter of 3mm.
I used wood glue to seal the edges for avoiding false air coming in. On top of the box is a loose frame in which the transparent sheet will be pinched and then the frame will be pressed on the box. I used a piece of weatherstrip to ensure sealing of the frame while pressing and also the opening where the vacuum cleaner hose will be connected is lined that way.
I tested the box with a thin sheet of paper, and yep, it sucks !

Made the canopy mold, based on the inside frame and used the 200 grams paper copy I made for this purpose. Used white glue to sort of "plastify" the inner and outside surface and applied a bit of wall filler on the inside to make the canopy more solid. Not too much of it, as it may buckle the surface when drying. I trust this construction will stand be strong enough to withstand the vacuum.
Finally two layers of spray paint to smooth out the surface. A bit of sanding is still required to get rid of the slightly visible seams and rims after the paint has fully hardened.
Why green? Well, that was the only spray color I could find around the house.

In the mean time a bit of work on the air intakes as well. To make them fit properly to the fuselage some trimming of the skins will be required. These lobe shaped parts somehow always appear problematic. Pictures were taken late at night so the colors have an orange tone.

Well, coming Wednesday is our national holiday (King's Day or Koningsdag as we say) and that should be the big day to see if the vacuum box is really able to make a nice canopy !

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3052.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3053.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3054.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3050.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3063.jpg  

Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3051.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3055.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3057.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3058.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3059.jpg  

Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3060.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3061.jpg  
Old 04-25-2016, 06:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Good luck with making canopies.

It's an art form.

Isaac
Old 04-25-2016, 07:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I think I would fill the canopy to make it solid prior to vacuforming. I use Super Sculpey, a brand name in the US of a clay like material that when baked at low temp becomes a solid plastic like material. I find it in art supply stores. Plaster of Paris also works well. Don't forget to raise the canopy slightly off the vacuform's surface since the plastic sheet even when heated can't make 90 degree bends at the base of the canopy.

Super job on the construction so far, but you know that already.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Good luck with making canopies.

It's an art form.

Isaac
more than agree

good luck Erik

YOAV
Google Adsense

Tags
time, aircraft, yoav’s, great, models, car, dutch, sundays, remember, original, make, good, war, scale, build, mirage, stroll, cycle, free, families, tour, afternoons, silence, vividly, strange