PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-22-2018, 09:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Talking Slow But Deadly in 1:100 from Nobi

Probably one of the most successful aircraft of all time. Ed Heinemann's first success in a long line of brilliant aerioplanes was really a Northrup BT with prettier dancer's legs. She was most famous for the being the primary weapon that sank four Japanese carriers and a battleship off the island of Midway in June of 1942. This battle sealed the fate of Japanese expansion and gave time for the tremendous manufacturing capability of the United States to gear up for the long slog ahead. She served in every theatre of WWII and was also flown by the New Zealanders and the French. I am sure our esteemed forum historian, Mr. Boose, will be along shortly to add to my thoughts and provide some books to read about this splendid little aircraft and the men who flew her.

This is the Thai Paperwork (Nobi) kit released in 1:48 but shrunk by the mad mangler yours truly to 1:100. It portrays a SBD-3 at the Battle of the Coral Sea which took place in early May of 1942. In conjunction with the TBD's of USS Lexington and USS Yorktown they sank a light carrier and severally damaged a CV of the Japanese that would have been at Midway a month later.

The plan is to do the Full Monty on this lil' gal and give her a cockpit and a canopy so her aircrew can see those dastardly Nips over the horizon. So set your Way Back Machine to 1942 and let's get started!
Attached Thumbnails
Slow But Deadly in 1:100  from Nobi-p_20180322_111513.jpg  
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense
Old 03-22-2018, 12:34 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
This should be a grand build. Got my tickets to a front-row seat for the show.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 317.47 MB
Iconic Dauntless. I'll be following this thread. Pacific War - that's what I like. Don't disappoint me Michael. I wanna see a great model .
Good luck!
Old 03-22-2018, 04:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Drooling with anticipation. If it turns out anything like your CR.32 I'll officially be your biggest fan.
As great a war changer the SBD was, I always wondered why it virtually disappeared overnight at war's end. The SB2C Helldiver and Avenger both went on to serve for a few years but (at least it seems to me) not the Dauntless. Was it because the dive bomber role was now redundant?
Can anyone fill me in on this?
Old 03-22-2018, 04:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Another historic Navy aircraft. Looking forward to the build.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 03-22-2018, 05:21 PM

Here on the hangar deck of the "Lady Lex" the burning rage and anger towards the Japanese right after the attack on Pearl Harbor has turned to a determined hatred and a growing need to strike back and get the job done. It is now mid April and the Lex has been blooded in strikes at Japanese held islands in the central Pacific. One of their own, "Butch" O'Hara has recently almost single handedly stopped an attack on the Lex. Now the crews are hard at work repairing and maintaining the ship's air wing. One of the petty officer is overseeing the work and insists that the crews work quickly but also carefully at their jobs. Sloppy work like edges of aircraft panels that are not touched up with paint is not tolerated. To fly right everything must be aligned meticulously. This is sometimes tedious work but the workers understand the need to do it right the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
Slow But Deadly in 1:100  from Nobi-p_20180322_130738.jpg   Slow But Deadly in 1:100  from Nobi-p_20180322_185244.jpg  
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 03-23-2018, 01:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
I think I'll love that dramatic part of your builds. ) All the best with the new build.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
One of the petty officer is overseeing the work and insists that the crews work quickly but also carefully at their jobs. ...
When the CPO talks you listen!

Quote:
This is sometimes tedious work but the workers understand the need to do it right the first time.
Yep; that other fellow who's trying to kill you, do you really want to bet your life on his guys not doing it right the first time for him?
Old 03-23-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
When the CPO talks you listen!

Yep; that other fellow who's trying to kill you, do you really want to bet your life on his guys not doing it right the first time for him?
While I was on my one year extended vacation in SE Asia as a young man I flew the lil' guys in these pictures. Sometimes when we would go sightseeing the locals would get upset and try to mess up our trips. As an "Occifer" I was not supposed to "fraternize" with the crew chiefs but I can tell you I was there all the time with them making sure they "colored the edges" and "aligned all the parts". The US guvinmint had contracted me to be there a year and by Gawd I was going to fulfill my end of the bargain.
Attached Thumbnails
Slow But Deadly in 1:100  from Nobi-image.jpg   Slow But Deadly in 1:100  from Nobi-minigun-me.jpg   Slow But Deadly in 1:100  from Nobi-loach13.jpg   Slow But Deadly in 1:100  from Nobi-loach7.jpg   Slow But Deadly in 1:100  from Nobi-loach16.jpg  

Live, Laff, Love...
Old 03-23-2018, 09:16 AM

Here on the hangar deck of the Lady Lex the repair division is really flumoxed and stymied by the extent of the rebuild necessary to make this SBD airworthy again. The aircraft had missed the wire on landing and had hit the barrier, a large steel net strung across the flight deck, very hard. The US Navy was on the end of a very long supply chain here in the Pacific and had to repair every aircraft they possibly could. The very slim years of the depression had also taught the Navy the necessity of having extensive repair facilities onboard all their ships.

Study and patience are required to figger out how to get this baby back in the air but knowing how important the task is the CPO's and swabbies look forward eagerly to their work.

Anyone out there in the peanut gallery with any advise will get a pack of smokes.
Attached Thumbnails
Slow But Deadly in 1:100  from Nobi-p_20180323_104007.jpg   Slow But Deadly in 1:100  from Nobi-p_20180323_105626.jpg  
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense