PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-18-2016, 01:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale

Hello PM's,

After a short break, it’s time for a new build. My youngest son would like an aircraft in his room so I changed my plans a bit as I had planned to build something completely different, which will have to wait a little while. The perfect solution to this is one of Yoav’s models and I chose for the Mirage 3C.

Yoav’s models have great skin details, with weathering and shadow effects, which make them beautiful on display and the fact that they don’t have landing gears mean that the aircraft has to fly. Great!
The original is scale 1:30 and I downscaled it to 91% of the original size to get 1:33, so it will make good comparison to e.g. the F104G model I just completed.

Based on Yoav’s information, the aircraft saw service during the Yom Kippur war in October 1973. I was 9 years old at the time and do not have much recollection of this, other than images on TV I vaguely remember. As some western countries supported Israel during this war, amongst others The Netherlands, the Arab nations closed the oil tap and as a result this forced the Dutch government to curbing car traffic to save on petrol. In November-December 1973 people were not allowed to use their cars on Sundays, to the Dutch public known as the “autoloze zondagen” (car free Sundays). So families took on for a stroll or cycle tour on motorways on Sunday afternoons and enjoyed the eerie sound of silence. This I still very vividly remember. A very strange experience, probably best illustrated by the pictures below, which appeared in newspapers at the time (not me or my family though although it could have been).

OK, so far for the introduction; time to start building. After spraying the sheets with egg shell matt varnish, the first parts of the ejection seat are ready. Tamiya German Grey XF63 seems like a good choice for edge coloring.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-anne-foto-1.png   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-autoloze-zondag-500x350.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn2910.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn2911.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn2936.jpg  

Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn2937.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-18-2016, 02:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.76 MB
Erik Hi - the main glory hour of the IAF Mirage IIIC was in the six day war in 1967.
In the capable hands of the Israeli pilots the Mirages shut down many mig 21 , 19 ,17. This huge success gave Marcel Dassault the push to sell some 2000 Mirages all over the world.
In the Yom Kippur war the original mirages IIIC force was dwindled much and was rienforced
by 40 Nesher fighter which was the Israeli mirage built version. Again in Yom Kippur many mig 21 , 17 and SU-7 were shut down by mirages although the IAF F-4E Phantoms scored many mig kills as well during the 17 days of fighting.

Yair
Old 03-18-2016, 06:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice plane for your new model. Wak recently added a mirage III with the same marking to its catalogue, wondering, is it a print of this one or a new design ?

Interesting you're making a mirage III after the f-104. If I'm correct, in the 60's luftwaffe's pilot thought they're going to have it but ended - for business, political reasons and... corruption, from politicians, shocking - with the starfighter.

If you haven't see it already, watch the documentary from lionel charlet "vols blancs" . It's about the last flights of the mirage IIIs in the Swiss army. The best in-flight picture/video I ever see

looking forward you're build.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
good luck Erik with the new project, i am sure you will do a great work as you always did.

your story about "car free sundays" is very Interesting and i didn't familiar with it, good to know new things.

take care

YOAV
Old 03-18-2016, 04:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Erik

Another fun project.

I think I may also scale all of Yoav's planes down to 1/33 scale as well. I like uniformity with my other models.

I may have to build another F-4E as well ( I built it original scale of 1/30 ).

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 03-21-2016, 02:47 PM

Thanks guys for your feedback. Yair, interesting to know those historical facts. Puts things in a certain perspective. Dje, I'll check the documentary one day, for sure.

In the mean time, no progress yet. Too busy with work and the yearly "end of March burden": Filling in income tax papers . Not all things made of paper are fun....

Erik
Old 04-11-2016, 12:33 AM

Progress!

It’s been a while and high time to continue with the model. Life has been rather hectic in the past few weeks and there was hardly any time for modeling. Needed to create space to display my latest models and I hang a few cabinets on the wall for additional storage and display. Well, that’s done now and my modest collection of the last two years is finally properly stored as you can see in the first pictures. That’s one of the things that kept me busy and now back to the Mirage.

First something about the paper I printed the model on. I used 160 grams (A4 size) paper, which is also recommended by Yoav. At first I printed it on 200 grams but the feel of it is just too thick, making the parts more difficult to flex. I also made a test print on the standard 80 grams printer/copier papier and both paper sizes may perhaps become useful at some point.

Building the ejection seat was no problem and I laminated the inside of the cushions with 0.5mm thick cardboard to get a “gluing edge” for the curved head and back rest surfaces.

Then continued with the nose cone by building from front to back and had problems with the fitting of the second ring. Somehow it was too small in diameter to fit with the next ring, part no. 3, and I had to cut it open, which leaves a gap of about half a millimeter. Still have to do the repair work and I may simply replace the nose cone all together as I forgot the fit a tube inside the cone, which will make it easier to install the pitot tube as the final part. Anyway, the nose section is black and the gap hardly noticeable.

For the cockpit assembly I deviated somewhat from Yoav’s instructions. I glued the cockpit to the aft bulkhead first and then glued both fuselage sections together instead of the other way around as per the instructions. Dry-fitting is an absolute must here. This allowed me a better control over aligning and fixating the cockpit. Also I glued the ejection seat to the cockpit floor before installing the cockpit, as well as a small strip of 1.0 mm cardboard to the bottom of the floor to make it more rigid.
Still have to finish the last details but the relatively difficult task of assembling the front section parts is complete now and everything fits just nicely; only had to trim some of the formers by fine grain sanding.

For edge coloring I’m using Tamiya German grey XF-63 for the cockpit and for the camouflage colors simple Staedtler felt pens. I like the sand yellow – brown – green livery, as these are truly the colors of the Israeli landscape as I remember it from my visits in the early nineties.

Last but not least, the other fuselage rings are ready to be assembled (the aft ones already are); something for the next episode and I’ve been studying how to make a vacuum box for the canopy. The making of this model will definitely be an interesting journey!
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3019.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3020.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn2940.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn2943.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn2944.jpg  

Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3018.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3023.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3024.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3025.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3028.jpg  

Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3029.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3030.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3031.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3033.jpg   Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale-dscn3022.jpg  

Old 04-11-2016, 04:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
hi Erik

your work is very good and clean, well done.

however....
why you had a problem between part 2 and 3?
i don't remember such a problem, i remember it was very smooth.
strange....any way i will chek it someday.

the only problem or difficulty i remember in the fuselage, was the connecting between part 6 and the air intake section(parts 12+13).....that needed a little bit Technique and experience.....and i know you surely got it.

however a little picture of my nose section.

YOAV

Old 04-11-2016, 07:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
It is a very interesting subject, Erik! I scratch built a Kfir many years ago and the new Wak is on my list. My trouble with house-printed kits is that the paint is horribly fragile. What’s your experience with it?

The F-104 is in good company! The Mosquito is from FlyModel? And the Fokker?
Old 04-13-2016, 01:05 AM

Hi Yoav and Ricardo, thank you.

Yoav: When I started building I was quite distracted with many other things and it may have been my mistake due to misalignment or something else when I hurriedly started the model. Don't bother to check. I'll probably build the nose section again at some point in time as I could have done better. It usually takes a bit of time before I'm in a "flow".

Ricardo: Would be interested to see your Kfir! Before cutting I tend to spray the sheets with oil/acrylic based matt varnish. This protects the print. When finished with a certain section of a model I do touch-ups with a small brush to protect the edges with varnish, or simply apply another spray coat. Although I learned you have to be careful with that as the second layer usually dries up with a bit of shine and gluing parts on varnished surfaces does not always give a good bond, especially when using white glue. It's a bit of a trade-off.
The Mosquito is from Orlik and the Fokker D-21 is by Modelik. Great models, I can recommend them to your very skilled hands!

Erik
Google Adsense

Tags
time, aircraft, yoav’s, great, models, car, dutch, sundays, remember, original, make, good, war, scale, build, mirage, stroll, cycle, free, families, tour, afternoons, silence, vividly, strange