PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-23-2016, 05:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Six foot and ten foot rockets? Those are serious stuff!
Now, for our metric friends, where's that conversion thing? 1.8m and 3.0m.
I don't know what the hardener would do to paper and glue, but on balsa nose cones it seems to continue hardening for about a year after application.
(there are a bunch of unfinished LPR rockets in the closet, and a few finished or mostly finished on the wall)
Aleen's will take lacquer just fine when I saturate paint assembled cardboard and/or pasteboard box models with it. Even though the hardener is different chemicals from lacquer, maybe that is a good sign?
Old 04-23-2016, 09:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 46.38 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
An air tank made using PVC pipe and a 1/4 turn ball valve to open quickly. PVC tank is wrapped in a fiberglass 3/16" welding fire blanket-in case PVC fails.

PVC pipe is 4" inches diam, with a 1" dia ball valve and piping to launch barrel. Launch barrel can be changed from 1" size to 1/2" size as needed using threaded reducers.
Attachment 281646

Notice the metal portable air tank used to do initial fill, then a small battery cordless compressor or bike pump can be used to top off pressure to required range.

I've launched a 6-foot tall Saturn V using a 100 psi with this system.

Mike
Thanks for the info, Mike, extremely cool stuff. Please give us a flight report when you get to that stage.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
Because tremendous force and velocities are generated during the flights of these rockets, caution
should be exercised to prevent personal injury and damage to property. Medium-pressure rockets have
been timed at 100-plus miles per hour with the maximum speed registering 170 mph! Speed trials of high-
pressure paper rockets are pending.

Two types of rockets are presented in this paper. One is constructed from paper and the other
from plastic bottles. Each use tape, metallic washers, and cardboard. Unless these rockets land on hard
surfaces (e.g., parking lot), they may be reused several times. A bicycle pump is used to energize the
launcher. The latter are easy to manufacture and provide years of service.
Yep can be really amazing.

Here is a link to a Air Howitzer Canon launcher that impresses me the most.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jurvetson/3972922344/

After checking the main photo read the comments and scroll down for another photo. These guys are launching at 1000 feet per second or around 682 mph.

BTW-My rockets are just cardstock, with minimum parts to keep the weight down-no escape systems, or detail parts added. The 10ft tall Saturn V weighs less than 3lbs if I remember right. I do have some videos and photos of flying them. Here is a link to what I have here: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/m...uers-projects/

Mike
Old 04-27-2016, 08:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
I REALLY like this! As a desktop model or as one of your stomp rockets, what a winner!

Wyvern
Old 04-27-2016, 10:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Everything Mike offers us is so different and interesting.
Paper Models? or pure brilliance?

Another great project Mike.

But I do have to say...not enough videos of these things in action.
Many, like me, don't have the ability to get into this and since I live in a small City,
I don't have many places to launch these type sof models.
So, I experince it through your photos and videos.
Give me more videos!! LOL

What happened with the Pulsejet?
Google Adsense
Old 04-27-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
Everything Mike offers us is so different and interesting.
Paper Models? or pure brilliance?

Another great project Mike.

But I do have to say...not enough videos of these things in action.
Many, like me, don't have the ability to get into this and since I live in a small City,
I don't have many places to launch these type sof models.
So, I experince it through your photos and videos.
Give me more videos!! LOL

What happened with the Pulsejet?
Thank you Dave for the kind words!

The pulsejet is morphing into the next stage. Hopefully the final one!

Decided to go with an aluminum "power skid". Basically the engine, fuel tank and electronics mount inside the paper. Welded aluminum structure won't vibrate apart like the present wood structure can.

Was thinking of making it slightly larger, however the present size is nice and light, plus everything fits. Still deciding on the size...

One final addition will be "dolly" that it rides on for takeoff. Once it is airborne the dolly drops off just like the Me163.

Waiting on my new AC/DC Tig/Stick welder to get here. Local high school has a welding program, they also have a really cool plasma table. The instructor will cut my parts if I give him a .dxf file of the shape I need for the internal skid. Once cut plan to do the welding here at home.

In other words, probably sometime next winter before a working/flyable version is ready for the one test flight.

BTW- recently purchased a great video camcorder from canon. Next rocket launch videos will have sound and a great HD view. Just not sure when the next launch day will be. I do have a new recovery system planned to deploy a parachute. It will be tested when I fly a full size ARCAS rocket (air pressure powered).

Mike
Old 04-30-2016, 12:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 529.13 MB
Any progress on the downscale?
Old 04-30-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widget View Post
Any progress on the downscale?
Just finished working on graphic issues, next will be another test build to verify graphic changes work. Then downsize will be done.

Mike
Old 05-01-2016, 12:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 529.13 MB
Just a suggestion here...allow enough room in the tail section to put a moter mount for Micro Maxx sized engines. If it's not a large redesign issue on your end. At 18-25 ft max altitude, tumble recovery wouldn't do any damage to the model.
And it would keep your design flying!
Old 05-01-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widget View Post
Just a suggestion here...allow enough room in the tail section to put a moter mount for Micro Maxx sized engines. If it's not a large redesign issue on your end. At 18-25 ft max altitude, tumble recovery wouldn't do any damage to the model.
And it would keep your design flying!
Wasn't planning on keeping the internal PSI tube when I downsize. This might be an issue-what diameter is the engine you want to use? Best answer would be the internal Dia. of the engine mount the Maxx fits in.

I'll see what happens if I downsize the internal PSI tube at a size it could fit in. This could cause build issues as the model has been designed to barely fit the internal PSI tube-interesting build trying to get fuselage sections together. It does have a removable nose-cone.

Planning to keep the downsize to be printable on letter without chopping wings, or fuselage up a bunch. If it will work for the engine I'll do it.

Mike
Google Adsense