PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-21-2016, 01:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Future Hypersonic

Been awhile since I designed anything.

Admire Virgin for what Mr. Richard is doing to get the masses to experience space flight. Forward thinking...

Decided to try a model of my own design.

Here it is, alpha build.

Usually do a Alpha build as white to check parts fit. In this case didn't have the time to build a couple of different versions, so I colored it.

Yes, several graphic changes will be made.

Found several different paint schemes for Virgin Airliners. Tried to keep the look but also add a futuristic look.

Could not pass up the noseart that was found doing my searches for the look I wanted.

Model is 4 ft 4 inches long and weighs more than it should for flight. It was designed as an air pressure flight ready rocket. Not sure how well it will fly, weight is big problem, wings are small and a thin airfoil was used.

Flight profile will probably be like a streamlined rock.

Changes will be made to the graphics. But for now this is what has been created.

Graphics changes will be done to correct gaps in passenger windows, main door location, and color added to the nose-art.

Top View
Future Hypersonic-top.jpg

Side view
Future Hypersonic-side.jpg

Nose-art
Future Hypersonic-nose-art.jpg

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 04-21-2016, 04:07 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Looks reminiscent of the SR71 Blackbird. I like it!
Old 04-21-2016, 06:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Great job, and a real cool model!

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 04-21-2016, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.38 MB
That's a good-looking spaceplane! What will you be using to provide the air pressure for a model this size, a portable compressor?

Last edited by Yeti; 04-21-2016 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
It looks really good I would love to try my hand at this model.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
That's a good-looking spaceplane! What will you be using to provide the air pressure for a model this size, a portable compressor?
An air tank made using PVC pipe and a 1/4 turn ball valve to open quickly. PVC tank is wrapped in a fiberglass 3/16" welding fire blanket-in case PVC fails.

PVC pipe is 4" inches diam, with a 1" dia ball valve and piping to launch barrel. Launch barrel can be changed from 1" size to 1/2" size as needed using threaded reducers.
Future Hypersonic-air-tank-system.jpg

Notice the metal portable air tank used to do initial fill, then a small battery cordless compressor or bike pump can be used to top off pressure to required range.

I've launched a 6-foot tall Saturn V using a 100 psi with this system.

Mike
Old 04-23-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven Blaack View Post
It looks really good I would love to try my hand at this model.
Might reduce the size for a smaller model that can be printed on letter size paper. Right now it is sized for printing on 2ft x 3ft cardstock. Not download friendly...

If I do the smaller size, it won't launch as the rear diameter will be too small to accept the launch system. Would be just a static model, or freeflight glider-if it flies.

Mike
Old 04-23-2016, 02:54 PM

Thank you everyone for your awesome comments.

Yes, found a photo of what Lockheed calls the SR72. Based some of my design on the look of that concept.

Mike
Old 04-23-2016, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Since this air pressure flight is something I know little about, I'm going to both ask here then go play in Google; what kind of internal system is employed to prevent the sudden air pressure change from rupturing the model?

Found this, http://ae.capmembers.com/media/cms/N...3BAE38586A.pdf
Wow!
Quote:
Because tremendous force and velocities are generated during the flights of these rockets, caution
should be exercised to prevent personal injury and damage to property. Medium-pressure rockets have
been timed at 100-plus miles per hour with the maximum speed registering 170 mph! Speed trials of high-
pressure paper rockets are pending.

Two types of rockets are presented in this paper. One is constructed from paper and the other
from plastic bottles. Each use tape, metallic washers, and cardboard. Unless these rockets land on hard
surfaces (e.g., parking lot), they may be reused several times. A bicycle pump is used to energize the
launcher. The latter are easy to manufacture and provide years of service.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
Since this air pressure flight is something I know little about, I'm going to both ask here then go play in Google; what kind of internal system is employed to prevent the sudden air pressure change from rupturing the model?
Well when I first designed a rocket to handle the pressure, most stomp rockets were made by wrapping construction paper around a PVC launch barrel, tape was used on the outside edge and then the top was folded over, once again tapping it tight to create an open end pressure tube.

On my models there is an internal pressure tube that has formers attaching it to the main body/fuselage shell. This allows rockets to be designed with graphics and different sizes.

The internal psi tube or chamber is made from a single wrap of cardstock. It is slightly loose when slipped onto the launch barrel. This allows the excess air psi to bleed off.

The trick is to size the internal psi tube to slide easy, but tight enough to seal to the barrel.

My 6ft Saturn V made the mistake of binding during the launch, which caused it to Explode! Small bits of cardstock floated down like feathers....

Another issue with the internal psi tube is the rocket weight. If it weighs to much, it sees a higher pressure, before it starts to move up the barrel, the movement itself helps keep overall pressure low.

On the 10ft tall Saturn V, this weight will cause the tube to go bluey...Don't want to double wrap the psi tube, so looking at alternative ideas. Want to stick with cardstock because if it does explode, floating paper is a whole lot safer than plastic or other materials.

Bought some Minwax Wood hardener to experiment with the psi tube, glue, and construction. Not sure if the glue will hold after soaking tube in the hardener.
Future Hypersonic-wood-hardener.jpg

If you go to the download section-toys automata you can find some stomp rockets to download and build.

BTW-Found the plans for the tank system on Steve Spangler's website years ago. He has since removed it because of safety issues. Flying PVC pipe shrapnel is not very nice to human body parts. Why the fiberglass welding blanket is wrapped around my system now!

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 04-23-2016 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Photo added
Google Adsense