PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Robert, I'm very much looking forward to seeing your vacforming techniques. Where do you get clear plastic sheet for this?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
I talked to jules and this is the first model he has done with full formers. He says he may have made them too small. Please let us know if your change makes a difference! He is taking a look at the design right now. I cant recall.... are the forumers supposed to go right at the joins or should they be offset a bit to make room for join strips?
Thanks!
Chris
In the instructions, the formers go at the joint for the forward fuselage that I had done. There were no join strips for those parts that I saw...unless I glanced over them....I can check to be sure. But the photos in the instructions show a flush former at the joint.

Got em, thanks. Email replied to. Printing when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhorse View Post
Robert, I'm very much looking forward to seeing your vacforming techniques. Where do you get clear plastic sheet for this?
I am going to follow CDRTED's tutorial....it'll be my first time. I am gonna see if transparent sheets are thin enough, otherwise I'll make a special trip into town to the local hobby store to get some clear PVC plastic sheets like explained in the tutorial.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:22 PM

What was the factor in creating the 'proper' formers???

From personal observation and trial.

I have found that digital models that are sliced up, tend to have 'infinite' thickness at the skin's surface. So for example, if I have an 50mm diameter cylinder, I would have a sliced former that would be 50mm in diameter. If I printed this and tried to insert the card former into the card cylinder, it will not fit. So I have to consider the card stock, 10 sheets measure 2mm in thickness so a sheet's thickness would be .2mm thick. My former would have to be .2mm smaller or offset all the way around.

Below is an example of an aircraft fuselage section behind the pilot cockpit.

With digital models being printed on different card types, is this the reason why formers are a problem with digital models?
Old 06-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
When Jules made the formers the first time he dropped off a whole MM. After I told him about the fir issue he changes it to drop off .3 which seems more in line with your suggestion - but yes I see what you are saying and that could certainly be a factor!
Chris
Old 06-17-2009, 07:50 PM

StevO. That's a great explanation. I've run into that before. I don't layer sheets myself to get the thickness for the formers though. I use some cardboard inserts that I get from my wife....her company uses them as backers for brochures. So when she opens up a pack, I get the cardboard

I printed out the formers, glued them to some backing and they are currently drying. Getting started on the nose again and will post up the results of the new formers...and I'll have pics either tomorrow or the next day.
Google Adsense
Old 06-18-2009, 02:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Julescrafter
Hi all, I just get back here again. thanks stev0 for the tips. umm.. I think I know where this problem started. At first I was use 1/72 scale, then after I looked at the small parts they were so tiny. and at 1/72 scale I reduced them inward 1mm so if we measure the section it was 2mm.

And the problem occurred when I scaled them into 1/48, I delete all the formers, and started all over again but that time I reduced them 0,5 mm then I scaled them to 1/72. :p

Robert I need your input for this problem, this is my first try modeling with formers.

many thanks
Jules
Old 06-18-2009, 05:59 PM

Hello Jules,

What ever you did got them to fit. Better than last time. I had to trim just a little...just inside the black line, but I'd rather trim to fit flush than it be way too small. Here is what I got last night...way better than the first go round.
Please excuse the blurry of the photo....I didn't use a tripod and the depth of field was narrow. Now I also see that I needed to color the edge.:o

Okay.....off to build up some more and see how much I can get done tonight. Starting with the cockpit tub next.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.83 MB
O.K. Here I am at my new home. (Banned from Z without a trial) I was just an observer for the past few years but now I am making this my primary forum and I see a lot of my old friends here as well. I was involved in the design process of this model and having seen it, I can tell you it is awwwwwwwsome. The fast that they are doing some re-paints is awsome too as there are three models of this aircraft. The p2v7, p2e5 and the OP2e which was converted from the P2e5. I was involved with the training of the flightcrews and pilots of VO-67 and was thrilled to see the torch taken by e-cardrmodels to honor this aircraft and the men who flew her. They had a very short but heroic history and one worth researching. Check them out at VO-67 Association - Introduction - Welcome Page
Old 06-19-2009, 01:27 AM

All right, I finished the cockpit tub and was getting the formers in place with the skin and front wheel well and hit a snag.

This is where I was at, putting in part 5D:

Turns out, the wheel well, part 5D is too long. Originally, I had glued the wheel well to one end of the skin and then was going to glue a former to the end, part 5C, but found that the wheel well stuck out...so I had to cut it off.

Here is a shot of what it looks like too long....the left tab is the one chewed up from me cutting it back out.

I think it's about .2 or .3 mm too long. It does not allow me to place former part 5B.

Jules and Chris,

I have part 5C glued in...so tomorrow, I think I can do a little surgery and cut down the wheel well to fit, to continue on. But the part will have to be shortened just a tad. I would say perhaps the .3mm since the two pointed tabs will fold over on the end and increase thickness to fit between the formers part 5B and 5C. What do you all think?

Time for me to get some rest for tonight.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Modeler View Post
O.K. Here I am at my new home. (Banned from Z without a trial) I was just an observer for the past few years but now I am making this my primary forum and I see a lot of my old friends here as well. I was involved in the design process of this model and having seen it, I can tell you it is awwwwwwwsome. The fast that they are doing some re-paints is awsome too as there are three models of this aircraft. The p2v7, p2e5 and the OP2e which was converted from the P2e5. I was involved with the training of the flightcrews and pilots of VO-67 and was thrilled to see the torch taken by e-cardrmodels to honor this aircraft and the men who flew her. They had a very short but heroic history and one worth researching. Check them out at VO-67 Association - Introduction - Welcome Page
Did you know the crew of Dennis Anderson?

Ryan
Google Adsense