PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-11-2016, 07:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.60 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Great model! Too bad you had to leave it behind, but I look forward to your next build.

I hope you enjoyed your stay in Korea. I lived a total of nine years in Korea over four tours of duty and enjoyed every minute. Haven't been back for about ten years, but would love to make another visit.

Never lived in Dongducheon, but visited from time to time. It is quite a modern city now, quite different from its appearance in 1962, when I first saw it.

Don
I enjoyed it. This was the third visit in recent memory, and it felt different from the other trips. I didn't feel like a tourist now, maybe like familiar territory... I went to school there (great way to spend my break)... I made plenty of models too. The 747 went to my grandparents (or did they give it away) The smoking and drinking culture got on me though. I had trouble sleeping because some jerk was smoking outside the apartment. Dong Woo told me to call 112 (the police). I also encountered drunks on the subway at Seoul for the very first time...oh well...

There's also a lot of US military bases in that area as you might know. I passed by a base with all their Patriot missiles lined up...also had A-10s circling my apartment. I saw a lot of Americans at Jihaeng on Fridays, but I never mustered up the courage to go talk to them (weird). Turns out my friend's sister was based in Uijeongbu at the same time.

I'm glad you enjoyed Korea. I certainly did... just wondering, were you based on the border, or somewhere down towards Busan?
Old 08-11-2016, 08:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Seoul is crazy these days. I'm glad I moved out of there.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:44 AM

You moved out of Seoul?
Old 08-15-2016, 03:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Sorry for the delay in responding to your question, Joshua: "just wondering, were you based on the border, or somewhere down towards Busan?"

During my first tour in Korea, 1962-63, I was stationed near the Imjin River in a place we called Blue Lancer Valley, near the village of Nullo-ri. In later tours (1971-72, 1974-78, 1984-87) I lived in Seoul, but during the latter two tours I spent a lot of time an Panmunjeom since I was assigned to the United Nations Command Component of the Military Armistice Commission.

Don
Old 08-17-2016, 03:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
I'd like to go, to see the toy stores, model stores, gundam stores, model shows, toy shows, toy cafes, figure collection showrooms, figure stores...
Google Adsense
Old 08-20-2016, 05:02 PM

If you're talking about shops in Korea, they're great for eye shopping. Look at the price tag though, and you'd be better off importing from Hong Kong... Plastic 1:200 models that would be $30 here are like W80,000, or around $75-ish. Everything else is good though.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajaeseo View Post
If you're talking about shops in Korea, they're great for eye shopping. Look at the price tag though, and you'd be better off importing from Hong Kong... Plastic 1:200 models that would be $30 here are like W80,000, or around $75-ish. Everything else is good though.
It's so annoying. They're way cheaper in England. Those ₩80000 models are around £20 there....
Old 08-25-2016, 12:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 217.00 MB
A few years ago, I scaled the plane to 1:100 with Inkscape, deletet these terrible red and blue helping lines, printed extra sheets on 80g paper to get straps and glued the frames on cardboard. So, I built it the classical way and it looks much better than this overlapping method.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
I guess Joshua overlapped the nose and tail cones only, because the fuselage seems to be pretty good aligned.

But you're right, Andreas, that for these Canon models one can cut out the straps (or strips) and add them right under each piece, in order to avoid the overlap.

One more thing, painting the edges of the paper before gluing will help a lot, Joshua.

Other than that, the model looks good. Do you have any updates? Landing gear added maybe?
Old 09-03-2016, 08:26 PM

No. As I said before, I left it behind in Korea. Can't work on it anymore. I have other things I'm working on though.
Google Adsense