PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-28-2016, 05:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Yes it has an odd assembly sequence.Butt jointed fuselage structures with no back bone are the source of my difficulties with this build.that and not putting additional wood in the wings.Clearly lack of experience really got me this time!Who makes better designed paper kits?
Old 06-28-2016, 06:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
You will get lots of suggestions for airplane models that are easier to build. My two cents:

Models designed by Aaron Murphy and Design Group Alpha will generally be well engineered and will fit together well.

Dave Winfield's models are exceptionally well engineered and tested and he provides exceptionally thorough instructions.

Nobi's Thai Modelworks models have parts that fit beautifully, but I think it would be better to have built a couple of more models before undertaking his.

If you like big bombers, John Dell's B-17s and B-24 are also very well engineered and build tested with a few challenging assemblies (it take a few tries to produce acceptable burnished round noses, for example).

Bruno's models are well designed, and he make a 1/100 Hampden that can be enlarged, within reasonable limits - say 1/72 or maybe even 1/48. Roman Vasyliev (der Kampfflieger) also produces models that fit together well, but he leaves it up to you to figure out the joining strips.

All of these models are available via ECardmodels https://www.ecardmodels.com/

Forgive me for not providing URLs for each of the designers, but I am dashing this off in between prepping for a lecture tomorrow. I hope all the other great designers will forgive me for leaving them out inadvertently.

I will now sit back and watch the additional suggestions roll in.

Don
Old 06-28-2016, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the recommendation s I will look into them.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.06 GB
If you want small planes that look great and are easy and fast, I suggest bruno, who goes by scissorsandplanes on this forum. He has about 1800 designs under his belt, and more are being cranked out everyday. If you want a little more complexity than bruno but bigger and more details go with aaron: Murph's Models. If you want even more of a training wheel, try something like ojimak's models, they don't look as good but are easy and how I got started building (although now i work at 1/200 scale almost exclusively)

-C-2A Greyhound
-Br.1050 Alize
Old 06-29-2016, 02:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Philo,

In my view you should opt for Halinski models, only available in printed versions. For a quick overview, you could check out the firm's own site, or this trusted European retailer: Slawomir Wojcik's Modellservice.

To some, they may seem difficult for a beginner, but difficulties arise - as you have experienced - from bad designs. Halinski's models are as near perfect as you can get, with excellent 3D-instructions sketches.

When everything goes together as it is promised, even a complicated model is not as difficult as a simple one, which won't fit.

After a while, studying the many offers from various firms, you will get a feelling for designers and firms. Maly Modelarz, as an example, has several later models which are of very high quality, as compared to the old one you started out with.

To succeed with the Hampden, you would have to return to it as a modeler in your own right, and use the kit just as a starter for designing something of your own. That would include going into graphic programs, repainting and redrawing.

For that, you would probably like to build a well-designed model first, to get a feeling for what this medium really has to offer.

Kind regards, Leif
Old 06-29-2016, 04:55 AM

Yes I would probably have to design it myself.Okay,I got the support structure for the canopy cutout and installed.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:05 PM

Got some of the canopy parts installed.The kit provides additional paper canopy strips to frame it.I will add the strips a bit later.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:43 PM

More canopy work.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
I am kind of suffering with you on this one. I remember some of my first attempts at papermodeling with printed kits from early Maly Modelarz, e.g. the Hurricane and Spitfire and Lysander of some decades ago vintage. I'm glad I didn't give up completely!

The revelation came as I bought my first Halinski model. Difficult, yes, but it went together like a dream. You could always trust those parts. If they didn't fit, it was your fault. With models such as the one you are struggling with, you end up doubting the design, and you never know whether a less than strived for result is your own fault, or the designers.

Which shouldn't be interpreter as a comment on your work; just that I seemed to recognize the position you are in - an experienced modeler coming to this medium. You do deserve better material to work with, believe me.

For what it's worth, Leif
Old 07-01-2016, 05:38 AM

Yeah,I have resolved to press on to the bitter end on this one.This is one project I will never forget,that is for sure!
Google Adsense