PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-26-2016, 01:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 625.64 MB
Newbie Concorde Build

As I mentioned in my note on the introductions thread, my first completed paper model build was Ralph Currell's beautiful Graf Zeppelin. I started Shreiber Bogen's OHEKA II sometime before and she is nearing completion.

Attached are a few pics of my new project: the Ralph Currell and Erik the Groen Concorde; my work area--an old wine box that conveniently holds my tools and parts; and my OHEKA II which is nearing completion.

Since it seems that the forum likes to see new modelers get their feet and I think posting would inspire me to be more consistent in my efforts I am going to post occasional photos from this build and a few notes about my experience building it. I am normally a detail nut; but I am also practical. Accordingly, I am going to defer to the fact that I have a family, work, and a long commute. My goal with this build is not perfection but development of basic modeling skills on subjects that interest me. If anyone finds this interesting, that is great. If not, I think that documenting the build will help me get more out of the experience and that is enough.

I am building the kit in the in-flight configuration with visor up and landing gear retracted. A coat of Rustoleum brand clear matte sealant was applied to the parts sheets in several thing layers (printed side only). I ran the parts on a tired old color laser so the print quality is mediocre but again, my objective is not perfection.

For today:
As with the Currell Graf Zeppelin, an easy to understand instruction sheet with great diagrams.

Fuselage parts cut, formers assembled, and the first fuselage segments have been glued together. Despite studying the parts/instructions in some detail before commencing assembly I still managed to forget to cut the slits for the wing spars in the main fuselage segment. Happily, it was easy to do this work after assembling the parts.

Focus here: increasing precision/consistency of cutting technique. And trying to shape/glue nice fuselage segments.

Specifically, I cut all parts down the middle of the black lines outlining the parts. I found a piece of doll rod that was very close to the diameter of the long fuselage segment, and wrapped copy paper around it to help form the segment and glue the joint.

I found that using a Stanley "break off" blade in a handle gave easier/cleaner cuts on straight edges on the 68 pound paper that I printed my parts on than I achieved with the #11 blades in my Xacto. I picked up a lot of great new cutting techniques today from First Cuts that I will apply going forward (no heavy card here, hurray).

I have never built a plane (though the Graf Zeppelin is somewhat similar to this point--assembling formers for the main body of the subject). Clearly some alignment issues despite efforts for a smooth fuselage, but I don't think they will hamper getting this put together so the show goes on. Even at 1:144 scale, the fuselage segments assembled are sleek and impressively long.

Next up: completion of the fuselage and assembly of internal wing structures.
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie Concorde Build-img_2401.jpg   Newbie Concorde Build-img_2398.jpg   Newbie Concorde Build-img_2402.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-26-2016, 05:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Great start, and you're building experience and techniques! I did the Concorde in the "Air Canada" scheme, it's a fantastic kit.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie Concorde Build-air-canada-concorde-01.jpg  

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 06-26-2016, 01:21 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Fuselage looks good. Don't worry about your alignment issues. Do your best and keep going. With practice you will improve.

btw, what's the boat in your second and third picture?
Old 06-26-2016, 01:54 PM

Schreiber Bogen's OHEKA II; the Otto Hermann Kahn's luxury yacht.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.45 MB
Welcome to the forum. You are off to a great start. This model is on my computer in the "one of these days" folder.
Google Adsense
Old 06-29-2016, 02:11 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Hello there, welcome to the insanity.
Once bitten by the paper bug it's poison spreads through your body and your overcome with a new desire to build and acquire more kits. So far from what I've read, there's no cure. Sorry.
Very nice job so far on the Concorde kit. Please keep posting and share your progress with us.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Couldn't agree with you more, Rich, now I need nine lives to finish all my stash of papermodels.

Papermate
Old 11-14-2016, 12:25 PM

Slow progress, but the port side wing internal structure is complete. Despite care to not loose parts, I lost and must reprint the starboard wing's internals.

I am amazed how this all fits together, building a model really makes you respect designers!!
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie Concorde Build-img_3480.jpg  
Old 01-07-2017, 05:55 PM

upper wing surface attached!

Not going to win any speed races here. But, finally attached the upper wing surface.

Heavy on the glue I think, but fear (probably erroneously) something separating on me when I go to slide the wing assembly onto the spars.
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie Concorde Build-concorde-wing-structure.jpg  
Old 01-07-2017, 06:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.60 GB
It looks good! Doesn't have to be fast, can't rush art! Going to follow this thread, since I'm going to build this too. I like your method of keeping parts in place.
Google Adsense

Tags
build, concorde, currell, erik te groen