PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Not much progress this weekend, had visitors from out of town so I was busy. I do have the sides of the cockpit ready to assemble, and have added the targeter to the instrument panel. I really wish this piece was a couple laminated sheets instead of being a folded 'box' - I think it would be easier to get looking good - although I'm not completely upset with how mine came out. I did decide I didn't like the pixalated dark grey - so the entire piece was blackened with sharpee - I think it looks better black.
If you look closely you can also see I've added a slight extension to the front of the side cockpit pieces. Without them, the pieces were fitting exactly in the opening with no overlap for glueing. I'm hoping that this isn't foreshadowing a bigger fit problem when I get to skinning - but we'll see soon enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Messerschmitt BF109-G8 Modelik 1/33-bf109g8-b1.jpg  
Old 09-03-2007, 08:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
I didn't notice you finished the GeeBee.
That thing came out great!

What's with everybody and these great cockpits lately? I've never seen that kind of instrument panel before, but on this forum everybody has it!
Old 09-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Aviation Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharbad View Post
I didn't notice you finished the GeeBee.
That thing came out great!

What's with everybody and these great cockpits lately? I've never seen that kind of instrument panel before, but on this forum everybody has it!
Thanks - the GeeBee sits on my window ledge here at work safe from the cats

I think 2 things really lead to the IP's. 1)Kits including multiple copies and 2) Hole punches. I know it wouldn't have looked near as nice (and I hazard a guess I might have skipped trying it) without the hole punch. As is, my $12.99 cheap version kind of tore a couple cuts instead of getting a smoother cut - but I was able to clean up the fuzzies by painting the edges. The clear plastic is just a thin stiff piece I scrounged from something going to the garbage (same as the GeeBee cockpit and the clear piece on the targeter).
Old 09-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Aviation Moderator

Here's couple pictures of the latest progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Messerschmitt BF109-G8 Modelik 1/33-bf109g8-b2.jpg   Messerschmitt BF109-G8 Modelik 1/33-bf109g8-b3.jpg  
Old 09-08-2007, 10:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.48 MB
very clean build...look forward to see more
Google Adsense
Old 09-09-2007, 07:53 AM

Nice job Dan! I see by your other thread you are worse than me! I usually wait to more than half way through a build before printing or pulling out the book of the next one! This one is looking great!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Aviation Moderator

As far as reading books, I probably pick up a book of an unbuilt model like 2-3 times a week and spend a bit of time studying parts and diagrams. hopefully I'll be able to practice restraint and not start cutting / laminating anything until I'm done with this build. We'll see what kind of focus I can maintain.
To be honest though - printing the next build was a must once I decided it was the next build. It's one thing to look at parts on a computer screen - but personally I can't really start picturing it going together until I have pieces of paper in my hand. This way I can spend time studying the kit in preparation for the build - whenever I actually start cutting it.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Hmmmm. I begin to see the connection with your "how many partially built?" thread. If you count models printed out, but not yet begun, then the number goes up astronomically. And then there are all those Trotskies that keep appearing . . . and with my 1945-1957 Fleet Air Arm fixation, I couldn't resist NOBI's new Blackburn Firebrand, even though I generally stick to 1/48-1/50 aircraft due to workspace, display, and skill limitations.

Anyway, this is a great build and your Bf 109 is turning out very well indeed with lots for the rest of us to learn in the process. I'm impressed!

Don B.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Dan, your build is coming very nice indeed.
I haven't begin to build it, mainly because I want to give you a headstart, and learn from your thread.
I already like the skinning.
Keep it up!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Aviation Moderator

Next picture - got the front section and one section backwards added. The seams on the other side aren't quite as nice as this side - but the overall effect isn't too bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Messerschmitt BF109-G8 Modelik 1/33-bf109g8-b4.jpg