PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-17-2009, 11:05 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Grumman Albatross as Jimmy Buffett's Hemisphere Dancer - 1:144

Eric's engine, prop, and wheels are an impossible act to follow, but I won't let that stop me from having some fun...

I've been a long time Parrot Head and recently decided to turn the free FG Grumman Goose into Jimmy Buffett's seaplane, the Hemisphere Dancer, as some of you may have seen in my builds thread. But that wasn't quite right since the Dancer is really a restored US Navy Grumman HU-16C Albatross. Buffett bought and restored her in '90, flew her for 15 years under registration number N928J, got a song or two out of some of her adventures, and finally retired her in '05 to Margaritaville at Universal Studios, Orlando. Recently had the opportunity to swing by and got some nice pics with the plane, re-sparking my need to build this model right.

So I purchased a FG-quality copy of the Albatross in 1:72 for 3 euros from Bob's Card Models (the only other version I found was a 1:48 $20 monster in a catalog somewhere, but wasn't up for that yet). I received the file and went to work in PSP, clearing all color from the model, then adding the proper paint job back to the white base. Fortunately its a pretty simple paint scheme, but getting the lines to line up just right (especially without a test build) was a bit of a challenge. Rescaled down to 1:144 (running out of shelf space) and fit the parts all tightly to a single page.

Started cutting parts per the order of the instructions, though I'm modifying a bit of the order as I go to match my build style. I'm also taking this opportunity to try out Aleene's Tacky Glues in addition to my trusty bottle of Elmer's Glue-All. I'm sure the fast grab bottle will come in handy along the way.

And after a couple more hours, I've got a nicely shaped fuselage with inset wheel wells ready to begin the burden of carrying a plane.

That's all I've got tonight. More to come.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Google Adsense
Old 06-18-2009, 03:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 356.23 MB
Chris,

if you are looking for a better one the Albatross from Wilhelmshavener might be of interest for you. It's in 1/50 and with 5 A3 sheets it is pretty detailled.

The only problem is that it is no download models and it costs EUR 18 + shipping. It may be found at Homepage —> German aircraft scale 1/50

(I add scans of the sheets, which are scaled down and distorted for obvious reasons)

Old Rutz
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman Albatross as Jimmy Buffett's Hemisphere Dancer - 1:144-alba1.jpg   Grumman Albatross as Jimmy Buffett's Hemisphere Dancer - 1:144-alba2.jpg   Grumman Albatross as Jimmy Buffett's Hemisphere Dancer - 1:144-alba3.jpg   Grumman Albatross as Jimmy Buffett's Hemisphere Dancer - 1:144-alba4.jpg   Grumman Albatross as Jimmy Buffett's Hemisphere Dancer - 1:144-alba5.jpg  

Old 06-18-2009, 07:53 AM
cModerator

Yup that's the "catalog monster" I referred to. I'm sure I'd be able to build it, but it felt out of my league for repainting as the Dancer.

That and I'm still new enough into this hobby that I'm plenty entertained by the free models, and funds are tight right now, so a cheap hobby (paper and ink) is really nice to have. Someday I might get to it.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:05 PM
cModerator

Completed the fuselage over the past few days, just got the pics uploaded. I did realize one error that I'm going to have to deal with - I forgot to weight the nose so its tail heavy and won't sit right. The directions said to add 5g to the nose, and a nickel would have done nicely but the model is scaled down 50% and is now smaller in cross section than any US coin. I'll have to raid the hardware drawer and squeeze something in through the landing gear bay. Enough blab, more pictures:

It isn't perfect, but it's coming out pretty decent, and I'm enjoying the build. I'm amazed that the repaint is coming out lined up as well as it is - the only section that needs adjustment is second one back from the nose. It wasn't enough to warrant me building another nose for this go-round.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Lookin' good. The "simple" ones work just fine when cleanly built - it's in the graphics. I'd score you an A+ on both.

Weight technique - I've used lengths of heavy copper wire (bits from old house wiring) to balance models. Obviously easy to fit inside, though I last used them in the FG Cub, a couple/three pieces in the motor box and the little bugger actually flies!

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 06-22-2009, 06:36 PM
cModerator

Thanks for the comments! The FG Cub was one of my first proper models, back in high school, and I killed it by dime-nosing it and flying it around for a week or so till she was too beat up to take any more. lol :p
Old 08-27-2009, 10:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
CMags,

did you ever get your 'Dancer completed? Or did it suffer a Jamaica Mistaica, like in the song?

Regards,
Wyvern (brother Parrothead)
Old 08-27-2009, 01:23 PM
cModerator

Hey there, the Dancer did suffer a bit of a Jamaica Mistaka... the design was missing a few parts (they were in the instructions but not in the parts pages). I contacted the designer and have since received the updated parts which I must now repaint and rescale and print, but while I was waiting I started on my Star Trek USS Enterprise (the original series) which I just yesterday completed. I will get back to the Dancer sometime soon I hope.

(The Enterprise if you're interested):

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 (TOS) in 1:1700
Old 08-27-2009, 02:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Thanks for the link- I've been following your build dedicated to your TOS Enterprise build, and it looks great! I'll look forward to seeing your new version of the 'Dancer. I've loved the Albatross since I was a teen; when I lived at NAS Barbers Point, Hawaii, in 75-77, the USCG flight unit there actually had two of them. They spent most of their time as ramp decor as both a/c were VERY high-time airframes, as they were both transfers from the USAF- my next-door neighbor was a USCG pilot- and only a few of the station's pilots were current in radial engine multi. But every once in awhile they'd get two pilots together and fire one bird up and take her around for some touch and go's, and the rumble of those two radials was music.