PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-24-2016, 11:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
This is a very good thread for a Dr. Zarkov's design. You are doing a great job!
Old 08-24-2016, 11:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Thanks, Everyone...and Thanks to the Dr. Himself!! This is a very cool and great fitting model.

I got the wings started tonight finishing the center section skins and slipping it into place. It is actually the envy of any plastic model. It is straight and true and slid right in. I'll have no trouble gluing it in place square etc.

The only issue I had was that I think the plans miss-labeled the doublers and joint papers on the wing skins. But trial and error and what makes sense fixed that. I messed up the first skin I put on so I have some overlap at the trailing edge. I think I need to use glue that doesn't set so darn fast! Second skin went better.

I also added a couple of right-triangle pieces between the spar and the ribs as well as supporting the radiators just for more stability while skinning. Seems to have worked a treat. I forgot to take a shot of these, though...use your imagination.

On to the photos!

Modelart Westland Whirlwind!-wingspar-copy.jpg

Modelart Westland Whirlwind!-wingcenteron-copy.jpg

I'll work on the outer panels tomorrow, the radiators and even try to glue the wing onto the fuse. More soon...Dan
Old 08-25-2016, 05:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
First rate modeling.

I did not realize that the MM model was designed by Dr Zarkov. I wonder if it differs from the model that is sold by Zarkov models. Westland Whirlwind MK II by Emil Zarkov :: ModelArt :: Paper Models :: ZarkovModels Store

Don
Old 08-25-2016, 08:48 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.32 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
First rate modeling.

I did not realize that the MM model was designed by Dr Zarkov. I wonder if it differs from the model that is sold by Zarkov models. Westland Whirlwind MK II by Emil Zarkov :: ModelArt :: Paper Models :: ZarkovModels Store

Don
My father's Westland Whirlwind was legally published in Poland, Spain and Brazil as far as I know. The Spanish guys "forgot" to pay half of the money owed and literally scammed him.
Apart from this there are several other companies which I won't name who "borrowed" the design, changing it a bit or recoloring it without permission.

Unfortunately this is a common practice and there's nothing I can do.
This is why on all of my father's more recent models there is a statement that unauthorized use and reproduction of the kit kill the hobby.
The thing that keeps us going are the true fans who purchase from the official store and support Emil Zarkov's work.
The only place where you can legally acquire digital downloads of my father's work is my store.

By the way, Dan, very nice and clean build!
Support us on Patreon
Old 08-25-2016, 09:48 AM

Let me add that Andrey's store is awesome and the service is super. For a new person to this hobby, the selection is amazing too.

No...I was not paid to say this!

I did, however, just purchase some downloads and had very personal service from Andrey especially when I messed up my first order.

Cheers...Dan
Google Adsense
Old 08-25-2016, 11:21 PM

Hello Paper Folders,

A tad more done tonight...I got the wing tips on, the radiators installed and the stabilizer started. You can see the ribs sitting next to the plane. I'm not quite sure how they are supposed to go unless they butt up against the fin and provide a tiny "step" for the stab skins?? I think that's right, but not sure.

Modelart Westland Whirlwind!-fusewingdoneleft-copy.jpg

Modelart Westland Whirlwind!-fusewingdonelthreequarter-copy.jpg

Those wings are amazingly straight and square. I had my doubts. Man! Are they long and skinny too. I think the nacelles will help make things look a bit different. You can't really see it, but the wing root/fuselage joint is the envy of any plastic model from Tamiya. I am really impressed. The fillets will clean things up even more. Again, the design of this is really clever.

Still loving this...Dan
Old 08-26-2016, 04:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Without the engines, the Whirlwind was certainly a long-winged airplane - Even longer were the wings of the Welkin, the high-altitude bird built by Westland.

I am ever more impressed by the quality of your craftsmanship.

Don
Old 08-26-2016, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
nice an clean build sir well done
Old 08-26-2016, 02:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Very well done on the wings!
Old 08-26-2016, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
This is one of my favorite aircraft. I think it was my first or second plastic model I built back in my childhood days.

The model looks great and you are doing a super job.

This model however is crying out for lots of detail. Need flaps, ailerons, elevators, rudder that are separate as well as an engine and open cowls. What about the gun bay . All those improvements will blow the imitators away.

Isaac
Google Adsense