PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-14-2016, 10:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Thanks, Elliot...more below!

I started working the cockpit interior and finished the left side pretty well. I made the box with levers which I THINK has something to do with the landing gear. I also added a throttle and mixture quadrant, the tubing going from there to the engine, little side instrument panels, a trim wheel and some more cockpit tubing. All you see is paper except for the very thin circular tubing which is stretched sprue.

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-landgearmech-20copy_zpsujbtna7q.jpg

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-leftpitdone-20copy_zpsytpudx2z.jpg

Not exactly Helinski (or however you spell it...those look like incredible models!) but not too shabby either!

On to the right side tomorrow.

Cheers,
Dan
Old 10-15-2016, 12:15 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Not too shabby?! That is marvelous work! If the right side holds to the same level of quality (no reason why it shouldn't) you'll have yourself one crackerjack cockpit. Really looking forward to thte next set of pics.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:47 PM

All,

Except for the gun site, the interior is done to the best of my ability. The pictures aren't too good, but you get the idea.

On the left from the seat forward: landing gear mechanism, throttle quadrant, trim tab, some little yellow knob (?), a prominent lever with a red knob near the top by the instrument panel...maybe has to do with latching the side closing canopy??

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-leftpitdone-20copy_zpstv67nyq4.jpg

On the right: a large square something with lots of holes...don't know what that is! Some more yellow/wood knobs near the floor, a white box that may be part of an oxygen regulation system (?) and finally a little blue-turning knob that I suspect if for the cowl cooling flaps.

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-rightpitdone-20copy_zpssk3ncziz.jpg

That was actually really fun and really dresses up this important area. My plan is to have the canopy open so it will likely face scrutiny! All you see is paper except for the tiny, thin pulled sprue for the tubular steal components and some lever knobs are dried glue blobs. Oh...the instruments are individually cut from some old decals I had too...AND the stick is made from wire but has a paper black tip for the grip.

On to the wings next and then the paint shop!

Cheers,

Dan

Last edited by smithdr; 10-15-2016 at 08:55 PM. Reason: forgot detail
Old 10-15-2016, 10:31 PM

Spars mocked up! Can't wait to skin them...maybe tomorrow...

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-spars1-20copy_zpsegc2ad3l.jpg

More soon,

Dan
Old 10-16-2016, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Superb cockpit! Excellent wing spars.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 10-17-2016, 09:13 PM

Thanks, Don! Your support is much appreciated.

Today I got the wings sheeted and attached. They still need some details but I'm amazed by the fit and the sit. They are square and look nice. With fillets, you won't even know there was ever a seam. This rivals most of my plastic models, that's for sure...

My biggest problem was getting the wing covers on and attached to the two ribs in the right place and still have the trailing edges match up. Plus, my first shot at one of the wings sort of ended in disaster as the spars were way too visible and the trailing edges were too thin and wavy. I stole construction techniques from the Whirlwind and added some folded paper on the trailing edges and this worked well. My right wing tip is a little pinched because I put the supports too far away from the actual edge so that when I squeezed things together, you see the result. Not too bad though. To make the spars less visible, I only added tiny amounts of glue and hoped the paper would be pre-formed enough to look nice and smooth. Seems to have worked. I'm glad I scanned the plans as I needed to make a new right set of skins since that first attempt was kaput.

I also embossed again and added rivets. The wing tips went on well and I'll be putting lights in soon. Here it is all mocked up a bit more with some more to do before painting begins.

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-wingson1-20copy_zpsv2gu67qg.jpg

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-wingson2-20copy_zpsna7xnhrr.jpg

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-wingson3-20copy_zpselghl8mg.jpg

Now that I can see it almost together, the plane looks just like an Extra stunt plane. It has the same angular wings and tubular structure and is small as well. No wonder it was a little hot rod in real life. I REALLY hope the French museum gets their J-22 in the air some day!

Thanks for looking...Dan
Old 10-18-2016, 06:32 AM
Eternal Member

Wow Dan. The wings really look good. Your cockpit is a masterpiece also. You really took to paper like a duck to water. Keep up the good work guy!
Old 10-18-2016, 07:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Fine work!

Don
Old 11-07-2016, 05:55 PM

Well...after playing with a neat ship (I can't seem to get enough of these dang models) I got the J-22 ready for the paint shop. I added the pitot, the little antler antennas behind the canopy, the will fillets and the wing root air intakes. I also cut out part of the leading edges on the wing tips for navigation light installation. You can see I've masked all the interior stuff and I'll try to do some painting tonight and then start markings tomorrow...

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-primed-20copy_zps4rh1snyw.jpg

This one should be done pretty soon!

Thanks for looking,

Dan
Old 11-07-2016, 08:34 PM
Eternal Member

We warned you that this hobby is addictive. I mean, I'm sure we did .... somewhere ....sometime....
Google Adsense