PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-13-2017, 07:11 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Can't recall if you know about dipping your canopy in Future Floor Finish and letting it dry in a dust-free environment overnight. Strengthens the canopy, fills in tiny imperfections and imparts a wicked shine.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.83 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
... if you have by any chance been influenced by Flying Scale Models of World War II (1974), Bill Hannan, Bill Warner, the Flying Aces Club, Dave Diels, and their ilk?
Don and Dan,

You may enjoy this thread on RCGroups!

Glad you "resurrected" this thread, Dan.

Gene K
Old 04-13-2017, 09:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks, Gene! Great thread.That book has been on my shelf since the time it was published. I learned a lot from it, even though I never actually built any of the models.

Dave Diels was inspired by that book to produce his line of 1/24 flying scale WWII models. Diels Engineering, Inc.

Don
Old 04-13-2017, 11:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
I have been following this thread; sitting here with my mouth open in total awe! I too started with balsa and tissue and then plastic, but this is way out of my league!

As an aside, I found the book that you have been discussing at RCLibrary; it is now downloadable. I did not add the link, because I have not cleared it with the forum and don't know anything about the site.

John
Old 04-13-2017, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Hi Elliot...yup. I use future for that on my plastic models. Does wonders for the old Airfix and Frog kits I like to build. This new one will be getting the same treatment!

Hi Gene and thanks for the link! I have the Hurricane (for sure) and maybe some others. I build the Hellcat and it got lost in a thermal. Hellcats rule.

Lovely plans and with a bit of lightening, they fly great. I did have trouble getting the Peck Zero to fly well...of course that was a P-nut so maybe it's a bit different.

Curse you for posting that. Now I need to build more balsa and tissue, paper models, plastics, resin, vacform......ARGHHHHHH!!!!!

Cheers,

P.S. Outerzone is just awesome. I think the reason I like paper card models so much is that I like stick and tissue so much! Paper let's you do more building and you feel you have more invested than plastics. I love the plastics due to their engineering and my favorite parts are decals and airbrushing. So much to do!
Dan
Google Adsense
Old 04-13-2017, 01:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 295.28 MB
This kit has gone far beyond "paper" it is a unit work of art!
Old 04-19-2017, 10:52 PM

Thanks folks for looking and the kind words too. Here is the state of affairs. I got the canopy made and installed. I also did a bit of airbrush weathering which makes it look a bit more interesting. I may tone some of it down especially since I doubt if these machines were really beat up...but it also makes it look a bit more interesting!

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-img_0041_zpsmvymbbxr.jpg

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-img_0043_zpsku29u7fb.jpg

Gotta make a gun site, finish some wheel door covers and a few more little details and she'll be done!

Cheers,
Dan
Old 04-20-2017, 07:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks great, Dan!

Don
Old 04-20-2017, 09:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 38.04 MB
Hi,
Model looks good! Especiially that you've painted it
Are you going to wash it? I think this might brings some more definition and pops the panel lines and rivets out

Lukas
Old 04-20-2017, 11:12 PM

Finito!!!!

All,

Here she is all ready for a little flight. I added a bunch of little details like the gun site, catches for the canopy, gear doors etc. Plus, I did respray part of the top wings around the ailerons and flaps so they don't look so outlined. I was going for subtle. Even though the real plane probably wasn't this ratty, I still like the overall look. The first two shots are attempts to get the cockpit. Not easy and the one is way out of focus. I just wanted you to know it's all there!

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-img_0058_zpsyyjfcffv.jpg

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-img_0059_zpsjurnaety.jpg

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-img_0045_zpsnkujpr5s.jpg

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-img_0046_zpsogi2pzgz.jpg

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-img_0047_zpsrmzdjjqj.jpg

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-img_0050_zpsi6vbhrjz.jpg

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-img_0051_zpsa0bn9udm.jpg

It's ready to do battle at a local IPMS contest this weekend. We'll see how she goes. It will be cool to see it next to the usual Mustangs, Messerschmitts and 190s in 1/32nd scale.

7TP: I don't usually do washes as they look too messy for me. I usually just post shade with a really thin mix of black and brown. Seems to work for me!

If you haven't seen shots of this thing flying in real life, search for them on-line. It looks like it was a real little hot rod!

Cheers and this was a neat experiment. I'll do the same again.
Dan
Google Adsense