PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-28-2016, 10:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33

All,

While I'm waiting for some A4 paper to print out the PZL, I couldn't help but start the J-22 from, I think, Modele (not sure of the manufacturer...any help?). This is my first kit model and I have to say, it's kind of daunting to actually cut the paper! However...here is a very early start...

I started the crank case which fit very well. The cylinders look complicated but if I just take my time, I think they will be ok. I only added a paper tab on the conical face of the case which made it easier to close it up.

Then I attempted the spinner of doom . I searched around on this site and found Gil's great download on petal spinners. After one failed attempt (the nasty one) I got it to work ok! I will now fill the inside with a bit of epoxy, sand the exterior, fill, sand, prime, sand...etc. Until I get the finish I want. Then a shot of red and she'll be perfect! I must say, that technique is pretty awesome...

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-crankspinner-20copy_zpsbu5ne6mm.jpg

My plan is to try and make this model super nice and enter it in a Spring model show here in Seattle. Could be fun .

Boy...I'm glad I scanned the plans so I could make another spinner!

Loving this hobby.

Dan
Google Adsense
Old 09-29-2016, 01:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 38.04 MB
Hi,
Nice to see new model on your cutting mat.
Interesting plane. Hope you will do it fine.

'Modele Kartonowego Fana' is 'Answer' actually. The same publisher.

Good idea with scanning the parts. It can help you a lot.

Good luck and waiting for new update

Lukas
Old 09-29-2016, 01:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 38.04 MB
Hi,
Nice to see new model on your cutting mat.
Interesting plane Hope you will do it fine.

'Modele kartonowego fana' is actually 'Answer'. The same publisher.

It's a good idea to scan parts before you will form 'em. It can help you a lot

Good luck and waiting for new update!

Lukas
Old 09-29-2016, 06:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I am very glad that you have decided to begin the J-22, Dan. It was an attractive, if little known, fighter, and I have an interest in Swedish aviation, which was reinforced by a long-time friendship with a Flygvapnet colonel who flew J-8s (Seversky P-35s) at the beginning of World War II and later was one of the first pilots to fly P-51s. He and I served together in Korea, and we later visited him in Sweden. We maintained a long correspondence in which he provided lots of images and stories. I do not think he ever flew the J-22, but he made mention of the aircraft in his correspondence.

Don
Old 09-29-2016, 02:59 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 36.49 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to bloomohio
Cool A4 paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdr View Post
All,

While I'm waiting for some A4 paper to print out the PZL, I couldn't help but start the J-22 from, I think, Modele (not sure of the manufacturer...any help?). This is my first kit model and I have to say, it's kind of daunting to actually cut the paper! However...here is a very early start...

I started the crank case which fit very well. The cylinders look complicated but if I just take my time, I think they will be ok. I only added a paper tab on the conical face of the case which made it easier to close it up.

Then I attempted the spinner of doom . I searched around on this site and found Gil's great download on petal spinners. After one failed attempt (the nasty one) I got it to work ok! I will now fill the inside with a bit of epoxy, sand the exterior, fill, sand, prime, sand...etc. Until I get the finish I want. Then a shot of red and she'll be perfect! I must say, that technique is pretty awesome...

Attachment 296277

My plan is to try and make this model super nice and enter it in a Spring model show here in Seattle. Could be fun .

Boy...I'm glad I scanned the plans so I could make another spinner!

Loving this hobby.

Dan
so where do you get A4 paper other than by mail?
Google Adsense
Old 09-29-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomohio View Post
so where do you get A4 paper other than by mail?
Hi Bloom...

I've only found it by mail. My stash should come in about 5 days. We'll see how it goes and I'll check in. It's 65lb. which seems about right for me so far...

Dan
Old 09-29-2016, 11:14 PM

Thanks, folks...I'm glad you have a connection with this little guy, Don. I've always thought it was cool especially with those folding gear. This model really fills a gap in a collection.

I got the spinner pretty much ready for paint and started assembling the cylinders. I know they are not as complicated as most, but for me, they are at least difficult. I'll need to do some touch up, but I do think the engine will look great in that cowling!

Here the progress so far.

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-enginespinner1-20copy_zpsuq4zrcrl.jpg

J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-cylinderprogress-20copy_zpsq9g8ob3c.jpg

More tomorrow when I hope to get the rest of the cylinders installed and start pushrods. I'll be adding some bolts and an ignition harness as well.

Cheers,
Dan
Old 09-30-2016, 03:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Excellent choice! Can I offer you this cutaway as inspiration?

Note particularly n:o 28, a pair of skis with detachable tips (for the pilot, not the aircraft) stuffed away on top of the radio equipment in the fuselage rear. Just in case of an emergency landing in snowy terrain...

Any other questions on this aircraft, and I've collected a lot of material. The J22 is much like several Russian fighters of this period, designed with the lack of strategic material like aluminium in mind. The basic structure was steel tube, and the skin a number of cleverly designed plywood plates, held together with patented clips. Engine is the same as in the DC3. The result was "the fastest fighter of its era in relation to engine power". True to a degree - at the time of the design, it would have held its place against Spitfires, Mustangs, and Messerschmidts of the same period. However, when it finally appeared, late in the final phases of the war, its competitors had evolved way ahead of the J22. Still, a most interesting aircraft.

Gremir has a downloadable model of the same design as you are building a printed version of. Anyone interested, please follow the link. There are good photos of the finished model there. I've got the downloadable kit, and can vouch for it. (Although Gremir's technique of offering downloadable models requires a PC, not a Mac. If you are on a Mac, have a quiet word with Gremir...).

Kind regards, Leif
Attached Thumbnails
J-22 Tiny Swedish Wooden Wonder 1/33-cutaway.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 09-30-2016 at 03:30 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:23 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Engine and spinner came out great.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:49 AM

Thanks, Fellows...

Leif! I do think those skis may be in this little guy's future. I wanted to put it on a simple base with a figure to display and now adding skis will give it some interest!

I think this is a great plane. I love the video I found showing the gear retracting. Ingenious.

Great kit too and I'll check out the link, though I'm on a dreaded Mac

More soon,

Dan
Google Adsense