PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-19-2009, 08:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.91 MB
Halinski Hawker Hurricane

Ok, after seeing some of the truly awe inspiring builds on this forum and hearing just how good the models from this particular manufacturer are, I've given in to temptation and ordered a Halinski Hawker Hurricane kit! I would dearly love to be able to build something as complex and detailed as some of the other models I've seen here, but I've always been to intimidated by the prospect. Whether finally having one of these kits actually in my hands will inspire me to have a go remains to be seen. Does anyone know of any photos of the finished article or perhaps a build thread on some other forum?!
Google Adsense
Old 06-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um's Kartonmodell... | Bauberichte | Halinski 1/2002 Hawker Hurricane
Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um's Kartonmodell... | Galerie | Halinski Hurricane
Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um's Kartonmodell... | Galerie | Hawker Hurricane - AH
Here's a build thread that's nearing completion, as well as you gallery threads including some pictures at various build stages. Tad's post has a link to his site showing more build photos. I personally think he over-weathered his - but that's just my humble opinion
Old 06-19-2009, 08:38 AM

Halinski's website also has some photos of a completed model:

CARD MODELS
Old 06-19-2009, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
I feel the same way. I've got two (Mustang & Thunderbolt) I keep looking through them trying not to dribble over the pages!

They are a little intimidating - Some of the building threads don't help. There's a chap on a german forum who has scaled an Me109 down to 1:100 and kept all the detail

It's enough to make you weep.

Tim
Old 06-19-2009, 09:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Tim, just ignore them. They have strange superhuman powers that the rest of us do not share
Old 06-19-2009, 09:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
The Hurricane is early enough to be a reasonable first Hal kit I think. The nice thing of course about these kits is that everything fits so well, really it is a treat for a modeler, and not overly expensive for what you get when completed. Go for it!! (as my Jak 1b sits...):D
Old 06-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Aviation Moderator

Somebody finished a build of the Jak on kartonbau just yesterday Glen, first one I've seen. Looks very nice - didn't see that he ran into any kit issues. I've got to finish up this Shoki, then I'll start working on fiddly cockpit bits for the Mustang again alongside the Kikka
Old 06-19-2009, 09:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Thank -you Dan, also for the Hurricane links, I hadn't seen those builds either and they look great. With Polish kits, most of the instructions are pictorial, and so nice to see someone's experience figuring out how it goes.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.91 MB
The Hurricane kit was delivered yesterday and I've been poring over the pages since, trying to get my head around how it all goes together. I've also studied the photos of the completed model and the build threads via the links posted by dansls1 and redhorse, thank you very much for those . I think I've got a fairly good idea of what to do now, but I do have a few questions:-

1. The instructions call for 0.5, 1, and possibly 2mm thick card to glue the formers onto. What type of card do you guys use for these models and where do you get it from?!

2. Regarding the formers themselves, how does one actually go about making them? I'm presuming that I cut them from the parts sheet and trim to shape first, then glue them to the appropriate thickness of card before cutting the thicker card as closely to shape as possible, finishing off by filing to the required outline?!

3. Would I get the same finished model if I were to scan the parts sheets, then print them onto my own card, or do these kits use a 'special' sort of card?

4. I presume you all use PVA based tacky glue?!

All help gratefully received!
Old 06-21-2009, 04:24 AM
Aviation Moderator

1) I personally am using layers of card to make the formers for the models I build. You can find card in packaging of all sorts (shirt inserts, cereal boxes, etc) - a nice set of calipers to measure thickness is handy. You can also order standard model sized card from various online card stores (I don't have any links - but if you look around you can find them).
2) To save cutting, glue the former pages onto the card, then cut out the shapes one time. 3M Type 77 spray adhesive seems to be the standard for this (it's about the only glue that most everybody seems to agree on in the card modeling hobby).
3) People build scans of these kits quite often. Personally I haven't found exactly the same card as the store bought kits provide, but close enough. Somewhere I researched the legal card I purchased and it's the closest I've found yet (using it for the Kikka build). The nice thing about a scan is obviously backup parts. Personally I'm more adventurous and just cut the kit and hope if I mess up so badly that I need parts I can get help from here
4) Search glue / adhesives and there are a couple threads giving what people prefer, and no not everybody uses PVA glue. I do - I switch between Aileen's gold bottle and old-fashioned Elmer's depending on what I'm gluing and how much 'adjustability' I want to have. CA for gluing paper to wire and occasional strengthening and a special RC canopy glue for clear parts (consistency close to Aileen's but dries clear).