PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-15-2018, 02:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Sorry about that, I should have checked further.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.20 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1158 View Post
Sorry about that, I should have checked further.
No need for apologies, Mike, you were only trying to help! The suspended exhibit aircraft made me think that a research enquiry to the NASM might be the next best thing.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.53 MB
Helpers

Morning all from Sunny Madrid

Yes guys any ideas are good ones. I saw the message Mike posted and had a look at the Smithsonian site anyway. There is a search engine there and I looked at everything Italian. I found a number of gauges I haven't seen before and so have marked those links for future ref - Cheers Mike

I didn't find the MC202 item I was after unfortunately. My hope lies with Allemano who I think actually made it. As I mentioned some posts earlier, a buddy of mine in the Italian Air Force managed to have the staff there gain access into their MC202 (see pics below), all the gauges are gone. They did a comparison on a similar indicator on the Macchi 200. This item is huge at 115mm in diameter.

Bernoullis - how do you manage to know all this info?

Keep the ideas flowing

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Macchi C.202 Instrument Panel-img-20180911-wa0001.jpg   Macchi C.202 Instrument Panel-img-20180911-wa0002.jpg  
Tertius Primus Erit

Last edited by alzictorini; 09-15-2018 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Spolling
Old 09-15-2018, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.20 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by alzictorini View Post
As I mentioned some posts earlier, a buddy of mine in the Italian Air Force managed to have the staff there gain access into their MC202 (see pics below), all the gauges are gone.
Wow, you can see that no-one has been in side that cockpit for quite a while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzictorini View Post
Bernoullis - how do you manage to know all this info?
Er ...no special knowledge! When I saw the photo of the NASM C.202 suspended from the ceiling I thought to myself that the NASM probably hadn't seen into the cockpit of their exhibit for quite some while. However, the NASM are usually pretty good about preserving aviation-related stuff, so if they restored that C.202 in 1975, they probably had photos and documentation for it?

So, if I were the talented modeller (and I am not ) looking for authentic detail of a C.202, I then wondered how I would approach the problem. The NASM has a huge repository of archived material, so how would I find out more about it? It only took seconds to find the contacts page, and that is where I would start. I would tell the NASM what a wonderful institution they are (and they are), explain what I was after, and see if they could help! It may take a bit of time to get answers, but it would be daft not to at least ask this world-famous resource if they have my sought-after treasure somewhere in their archive - they can only say "No"! But at least I would be satisfied knowing I had tried.

If I had no luck at the NASM, then it would be time to move on to somewhere else! Thats the way I try to approach such things.

And finally, Al Z, I reckon you'll need to make another C.202 panel and offer it to the Italian Air Force to display alongside/near their instrument-less C.202!!
Old 10-01-2018, 01:43 PM

Landing Gear Indicator

PMs

OK, its taken some time and a lot of research to start the build of this Indicator. First of all, thanks to all the many pms Ive received information from and the Italian Air force museum for looking inside their Macchi for me.

There is very little good close up pictures of this Indicator, everything is either out of focus or at a distance. The best info has come from 3D modelers and the sim guys.

What you see below is the best depiction of the Indicator based on a number of pics and similar indicators from other Italian war-birds of the period:

example of a similar indicator from a Macchi C205:

After designing the indicator on my laptop I printed it out and pritsticked it to Cornflakes card. Here I cut out the holes for the lights (none will be fitted):

To the rear I attached green and red cellophane (red to the top). To simulate the undercarriage down I also placed black behind the red cellophane to make the lights look out and white behind the green. This give the impression of lights on and lights off (I think anyway):

I was unsure of this but I wanted the fuselage shape to look embossed out - So, I cut out the fuselage and placed it on thick card which I cut out again before placing it onto the previous work:

Unlike the previous gauges, the indicator is attached from the front of the panel and not the rear so the indicator has attachment lugs:

This is how it looks so far!
I think its what the real thing would have looked like going from the info Ive been provided.

More to follow, once again, thanks for all the help and support from my many helpers.

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Macchi C.202 Instrument Panel-20181001_204828.jpg   Macchi C.202 Instrument Panel-20180930_190139.jpg   Macchi C.202 Instrument Panel-20181001_210405.jpg   Macchi C.202 Instrument Panel-20181001_205436.jpg  
Tertius Primus Erit
Google Adsense
Old 10-03-2018, 02:38 PM

Completion

PMs

Its finished!

After some sanding and test fitting and final paint, the indicator is complete!

The glass effect came from another old CD case:

After about an hour of sanding, I painted the bezel and inner collar black ready for final assembly:

Looks pretty Good?

In position:

Full view:

Thats all on this one, not many to go now

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Macchi C.202 Instrument Panel-20181003_213653.jpg   Macchi C.202 Instrument Panel-20181003_213345.jpg   Macchi C.202 Instrument Panel-20181003_220800.jpg   Macchi C.202 Instrument Panel-20181003_220820.jpg  
Tertius Primus Erit
Old 10-03-2018, 06:35 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Looking good from here Al. Really anticipating the finished pics on this one. Got any idea what you're going to do with this one?
Old 10-04-2018, 12:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Al,

This is looking very good, even better than the outstanding ME109 project

I havent chatted with you lately but I am watching. I have also been keeping an eye on the other Project you have been working on.

Jim
Old 10-04-2018, 09:17 AM

Good spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernoullis View Post
alzictorini, If I may, I have a tiny point to make about the larger 'AVVERTENZE IMPORTANTISSIME' plate that features the 3-bladed propellor symbol. I am sure that in the photos of the actual plate, abeam the P1, P2 and P3 lettering alongside the blades, I can see what appears to be a small white dot in the centre of each blade - is that correct? If so, you should perhaps add it to your version?
Your right it does - Ill sort it buddy, good spot.
Tertius Primus Erit
Old 11-05-2018, 02:12 PM

Fuel pressure gauge

The latest gauge off the production line is the fuel pressure gauge:
The pic below is of an actual gauge:

OK, the outer part of this gauge needs to be thin! The only idea I can come up with is to make it from the inner sleeve of a paper hand towel role. Two reasons, its thin enough and I found one at work which is the correct diameter....

Next job is to cut this to the correct length. I did this with a scalpel held at the correct height then I spun the role onto the blade:

The top of the lip needs to be thicker so I cut off a smaller piece and inserted into the larger cone (trimmed to size):

OK, next I coated it in superglue and sanded it smooth:

I then sanded the top round:

It looks perfect and once painted black it was better than I expected. The face was made in the usual manner and sanded so it fit inside the outer bezel:

Test assembly:

The glass was cut from an old CD case and I made a needle from cornflake packet card (then painted). Here it is in its place complete:

The panel is starting to look complete, only a few more gauges to go. Should I attempt the compass???

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Macchi C.202 Instrument Panel-4.jpg   Macchi C.202 Instrument Panel-7.jpg   Macchi C.202 Instrument Panel-11.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181105_210308.jpg (3.13 MB, 3 views)
Tertius Primus Erit
Google Adsense

Tags
folgore, instrument panel, macchi c.202, sonia clock