PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-22-2017, 11:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks great, Isaac.

Can you describe exactly how you made the final attachment of the two fuselage sections? I have always found that to be an extraordinarily difficult task, especially with large models.

I am continuing to work on the model for practice (I connected the cockpit fuselage section with the nose by using a dental pick to put dabs of glue on the tabs, then used a long forceps to pinch the tab closed until the glue dried - fingers too short to reach in there), but there is a fatal problem not visible in the images below: when the glue attaching bulkhead 30 to the nose section dried, the fuselage skin on the bottom, just behind the nose wheel well, buckled. I know of no way to fix it and am reluctant to put more time and effort into a model that will never be displayable.

I may, however, try to complete the fuselage in order to gain the experience before putting the model aside and getting to work on other models that I hope to display on 1 April U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center "Military History Through Paper Modeling" event (1 April 2017 Paper Modelers' Event at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center).
Attached Thumbnails
FJ-1 Fury in 1/33 scale-fj-1_build170221_01.jpg   FJ-1 Fury in 1/33 scale-fj-1_build170221_02.jpg   FJ-1 Fury in 1/33 scale-fj-1_build170221_03.jpg   FJ-1 Fury in 1/33 scale-fj-1_build170221_04.jpg  
Old 02-22-2017, 04:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Don't give up, DON! That looks so nice so far. Would there be a way to just cut out (excise?) the offending piece and splice a new "panel" in its place? It's on the bottom, after all.

Seems a shame to throw in the towel. Maybe if we could see the area in question...I'd change my tune. My experience shows that we are our worst critics!

Dan
Old 02-22-2017, 07:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
WOW, great job Don. Keep that up, and we'll have to call you Dr. Boose.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 02-22-2017, 09:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post

Can you describe exactly how you made the final attachment of the two fuselage sections? I have always found that to be an extraordinarily difficult task, especially with large models.

I am continuing to work on the model for practice (I connected the cockpit fuselage section with the nose by using a dental pick to put dabs of glue on the tabs, then used a long forceps to pinch the tab closed until the glue dried - fingers too short to reach in there),
Don

Here is a pointer. When joining sections of the fuselage, do not install the bulkheads. Join the sections first and use your fingers from the inside to press the parts together along the joint tab. Once that is dry, add the smaller frame from the first section. You can add the next section the same way, but remember to add the frame to the previous section only ( see my previous pictures.

Now for the technique of joining the two main fuselage halves. The forward to the aft.

As you may see, the kit uses a solid joining strip on two constant section parts behind the forward wing spar. However, the fit is very tight to impossible to slip over. What I did was to slit the glue tab in multiple locations and then lightly bend them inward to form a smaller cross section than the back section. Next, I made a slit along the rear section wing root outline. This allowed me to slip in a flat wood coffee stirrer to press the glue tabs from the inside.
FJ-1 Fury in 1/33 scale-img_2661.jpg Forward section
FJ-1 Fury in 1/33 scale-img_2727.jpg Aft section
FJ-1 Fury in 1/33 scale-img_2729.jpg both sections
FJ-1 Fury in 1/33 scale-img_2730.jpg Joined

Hope that helps. Stick with it. You are doing great.

Isaac
Old 02-23-2017, 10:02 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Thanks for the info on joining the two fuse halfs. Any type of help in regards to building is always welcome.
Google Adsense
Old 02-23-2017, 06:35 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richschindler View Post
Thanks for the info on joining the two fuse halfs. Any type of help in regards to building is always welcome.
Glad you found it useful. Just practice. Sometimes we don't get it right every time.

But

Not looking for perfection

Isaac
Old 02-24-2017, 03:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Still in the game

Isaac- Many thanks for the valuable insights on joining fuselage sections.

Dan, and Gary – I can’t tell you how much your encouraging comments mean to me. I am continuing to work on the FJ-1 and am trying to think of a way to reduce the negative impact of the wrinkled forward ventral fuselage. Perhaps I can print out the relevant skin section on bond paper and laminate it to the “battle damaged” area. Won’t look great, but might pass muster from a distance, and would be no worse than the Horrible Hampden that I currently display.

For now, I am taking Isaac’s suggestion and not posting images that I find embarrassing.

Meanwhile, I have assembled the tail cone frame. I assembled the parts in reverse order so that the bulkheads would slip over the exhaust cylinder.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
FJ-1 Fury in 1/33 scale-fj-1_build170223_01.jpg   FJ-1 Fury in 1/33 scale-fj-1_build170223_02.jpg   FJ-1 Fury in 1/33 scale-fj-1_build170223_03.jpg   FJ-1 Fury in 1/33 scale-fj-1_build170223_04.jpg   FJ-1 Fury in 1/33 scale-fj-1_build170223_05.jpg  

Old 02-24-2017, 06:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Tail pipe looks great Don. I remember what a home contractor once told me; "You'll never see that from the Highway".

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 02-24-2017, 10:22 PM

Don

I don't know what you are talking about. You are doing great !

You can always fix things that need fixing and sometimes you chalk it to experience and move on.

Isaac
Old 02-24-2017, 10:24 PM

Smile Horizontal fins

Here are the frames
FJ-1 Fury in 1/33 scale-img_2737.jpg

and assembled
FJ-1 Fury in 1/33 scale-img_2738.jpg

and installed.
FJ-1 Fury in 1/33 scale-img_2740.jpgFJ-1 Fury in 1/33 scale-img_2741.jpg

Looks great. I just love the dihedral.

Isaac