PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-24-2017, 07:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
HI Boats,

Interesting to note you build a Neptune in Royal Dutch Navy livery! You have my attention.
I started building this kit some 5 years ago but it stalled after completion of the fuselage and is still patiently sitting in a drawer. There are indeed fitting issues with formers and the fuselage sections I remember but nothing that you shouldn't be able to correct.

While building I collected pictures of the actual 202 and other Neptunes operated from the (in the mean time abandoned) navy field of Valkenburg, just west of the town of Leiden, which is in the area where I live.
The livery print is somewhat off from the actual colors and there are also a few other inaccuracies but all in all this is going to be a great model. I'd be happy to send you these pictures for your reference.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 01-24-2017, 10:13 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Wow, that thing is going to be huge. Looking really good so far. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
HI Boats,

Interesting to note you build a Neptune in Royal Dutch Navy livery! You have my attention.
I started building this kit some 5 years ago but it stalled after completion of the fuselage and is still patiently sitting in a drawer. There are indeed fitting issues with formers and the fuselage sections I remember but nothing that you shouldn't be able to correct.

While building I collected pictures of the actual 202 and other Neptunes operated from the (in the mean time abandoned) navy field of Valkenburg, just west of the town of Leiden, which is in the area where I live.
The livery print is somewhat off from the actual colors and there are also a few other inaccuracies but all in all this is going to be a great model. I'd be happy to send you these pictures for your reference.

Cheers,
Erik

Ahoy Erik
Sounds great buddy send them this way I spent 2 hours today already burnishing down the fuselage it looks smooth as a babies rump. I wish the cardstock to the kit was a tad thicker it leaves day light passing through revealing how the fuselage is assembled . Thanks Erik

Boats
Old 01-24-2017, 08:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.83 MB
I'm an old P-2 crewmember I flew Radio mostly, but my official position was Julie/ECM operator. I spent over a thousand hours aboard this bird. I. Actually in one of the Navy official photos. I'm the guy in the aft window. We're flying a photo mission document eating the P2 role I. The Navy. I have this kit as well, but when I saw how big it was I never built it. I am happy to see you actually building it.
Attached Thumbnails
Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-image.jpeg   Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-image.jpg  

"Oh wisdom thou are fled to brutish beasts and men have lost their reason" (Bill Shakespear)
Old 01-24-2017, 08:25 PM

FYI if anyone is interested, I would be willing to sell my copy of this model I will never get around to building it. Just let me know.

"Oh wisdom thou are fled to brutish beasts and men have lost their reason" (Bill Shakespear)
Google Adsense
Old 01-24-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Modeler View Post
FYI if anyone is interested, I would be willing to sell my copy of this model I will never get around to building it. Just let me know.
Ahoy Tim
Thank you for your comment I am honored I use to see P2,s at Sangley Point in the Phillipines in Caviti city, When I was stationed at Subic bay. They were being replaced by P3 Orions The Neptunes were very pretty airplanes for their day a very well build and reliable machine she was. I will try my Sundays best on this kit Give me a price I will tke this off yopur hands and build it as a dedication built to you.

Boats
Old 01-24-2017, 10:19 PM

Fuselage construction continued

Ahoy
Okay guys here is another update of the build thus far no problems other then undersized formers that had to be re traced using the kits forms they fit like a glove gave the ship another burnishing everything is smooth. Again I wished that the cardstock on this kit was a tad thicker care must be taken when burnishing and handeling this kit other wise you will crinkle it and the model is ruined. The seams look apparent because of the thin paper on the kit but they are smooth and no gaps. Okay the entire fuselage is completed now I am constructing the cockpit compartment very colorful to say the least. yokes were cut out from the sheet and the seat constructed and installed to the cockpit floor. At this stage of construction I am fitting out the entire fuselage as sub assembly the kit builds very well once you get started you cant let go. Below are the cockpit assembly and their installation, Next will be the nose wheel well and bomb bay.
boats
Attached Thumbnails
Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-sam_1094.jpg   Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-sam_1095.jpg   Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-sam_1096.jpg   Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-sam_1097.jpg   Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-sam_1098.jpg  

Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-sam_1099.jpg   Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-sam_1100.jpg   Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-sam_1101.jpg   Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-sam_1102.jpg  
Old 01-25-2017, 12:18 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 36.49 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to bloomohio
Wink P2

Quote:
I'm an old P-2 crewmember I flew Radio mostly, but my official position was Julie/ECM operator. I spent over a thousand hours aboard this bird. I. Actually in one of the Navy official photos. I'm the guy in the aft window. We're flying a photo mission document eating the P2 role I. The Navy. I have this kit as well, but when I saw how big it was I never built it. I am happy to see you actually building it.
We are nieghbors up the road for the winter in Palm Springs, you ever visited the air museum here? P2 is good model but big i only have a download near tried printing it! Nice hearing from someone who fly one. My first onewasin Bermuda in early 60s.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:27 PM

Sending out tomorrow. Your build is coming along nicely. I built the Hasegawa plastic version 15 years ago. We also had the P-5 Marlin in our squadron which I also built. But so far no paper models of the P-5 although I tried generating some interest a number of years ago to no avail. I wish Hobby model had a repaint of the P2 color scheme I flew. Or anyone else for that matter. I flew in every P-2 with the RP designation on the tail except RP7 which crashed a month after I arrived at North Island. Interestingly my squadron had a P-3 detachment at Whidby Island. They had an RP7 as well and it too crashed but it took 15 guys along with it. The P2 lost no one ditching at sea. Quite a coinsidence would t you say? They never replaced that number. I have pictures of that somewhere

Old 01-25-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Sending out tomorrow. Your build is coming along nicely. I built the Hasegawa plastic version 15 years ago. We also had the P-5 Marlin in our squadron which I also built. But so far no paper models of the P-5 although I tried generating some interest a number of years ago to no avail. I wish Hobby model had a repaint of the P2 color scheme I flew. Or anyone else for that matter. I flew in every P-2 with the RP designation on the tail except RP7 which crashed a month after I arrived at North Island. Interestingly my squadron had a P-3 detachment at Whidby Island. They had an RP7 as well and it too crashed but it took 15 guys along with it. The P2 lost no one ditching at sea. Quite a coinsidence would t you say? They never replaced that number. I have pictures of that somewhere

Ahoy Tim

Thanks buddy
Boats