PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > > >

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-24-2017, 07:07 AM
Erik Zwaan's Avatar
Erik Zwaan Erik Zwaan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Leiden area, The Netherlands
Posts: 1,443
Total Downloaded: 17.13 MB
HI Boats,

Interesting to note you build a Neptune in Royal Dutch Navy livery! You have my attention.
I started building this kit some 5 years ago but it stalled after completion of the fuselage and is still patiently sitting in a drawer. There are indeed fitting issues with formers and the fuselage sections I remember but nothing that you shouldn't be able to correct.

While building I collected pictures of the actual 202 and other Neptunes operated from the (in the mean time abandoned) navy field of Valkenburg, just west of the town of Leiden, which is in the area where I live.
The livery print is somewhat off from the actual colors and there are also a few other inaccuracies but all in all this is going to be a great model. I'd be happy to send you these pictures for your reference.

Cheers,
Erik
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-24-2017, 10:13 AM
Richschindler Richschindler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Posts: 2,071
Total Downloaded: 1.96 GB
Wow, that thing is going to be huge. Looking really good so far. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-24-2017, 10:16 AM
deckape's Avatar
deckape deckape is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Moraine Ohio
Posts: 2,351
Total Downloaded: 233.50 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
HI Boats,

Interesting to note you build a Neptune in Royal Dutch Navy livery! You have my attention.
I started building this kit some 5 years ago but it stalled after completion of the fuselage and is still patiently sitting in a drawer. There are indeed fitting issues with formers and the fuselage sections I remember but nothing that you shouldn't be able to correct.

While building I collected pictures of the actual 202 and other Neptunes operated from the (in the mean time abandoned) navy field of Valkenburg, just west of the town of Leiden, which is in the area where I live.
The livery print is somewhat off from the actual colors and there are also a few other inaccuracies but all in all this is going to be a great model. I'd be happy to send you these pictures for your reference.



Cheers,
Erik

Ahoy Erik
Sounds great buddy send them this way I spent 2 hours today already burnishing down the fuselage it looks smooth as a babies rump. I wish the cardstock to the kit was a tad thicker it leaves day light passing through revealing how the fuselage is assembled . Thanks Erik

Boats
__________________
TURN TWO CONTINUE SHIPS WORK
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-24-2017, 08:15 PM
Bionic Modeler's Avatar
Bionic Modeler Bionic Modeler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego CA area
Posts: 714
Total Downloaded: 3.10 MB
I'm an old P-2 crewmember I flew Radio mostly, but my official position was Julie/ECM operator. I spent over a thousand hours aboard this bird. I. Actually in one of the Navy official photos. I'm the guy in the aft window. We're flying a photo mission document eating the P2 role I. The Navy. I have this kit as well, but when I saw how big it was I never built it. I am happy to see you actually building it.
Attached Thumbnails
Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-image.jpeg   Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-image.jpg  
__________________
Tim Hinds

"Oh wisdom thou are fled to brutish beasts and men have lost their reason" (Bill Shakespear)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-24-2017, 08:25 PM
Bionic Modeler's Avatar
Bionic Modeler Bionic Modeler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego CA area
Posts: 714
Total Downloaded: 3.10 MB
FYI if anyone is interested, I would be willing to sell my copy of this model I will never get around to building it. Just let me know.
__________________
Tim Hinds

"Oh wisdom thou are fled to brutish beasts and men have lost their reason" (Bill Shakespear)
Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
  #16  
Old 01-24-2017, 10:07 PM
deckape's Avatar
deckape deckape is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Moraine Ohio
Posts: 2,351
Total Downloaded: 233.50 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Modeler View Post
FYI if anyone is interested, I would be willing to sell my copy of this model I will never get around to building it. Just let me know.
Ahoy Tim
Thank you for your comment I am honored I use to see P2,s at Sangley Point in the Phillipines in Caviti city, When I was stationed at Subic bay. They were being replaced by P3 Orions The Neptunes were very pretty airplanes for their day a very well build and reliable machine she was. I will try my Sundays best on this kit Give me a price I will tke this off yopur hands and build it as a dedication built to you.

Boats
__________________
TURN TWO CONTINUE SHIPS WORK
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-24-2017, 10:19 PM
deckape's Avatar
deckape deckape is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Moraine Ohio
Posts: 2,351
Total Downloaded: 233.50 MB
Fuselage construction continued

Ahoy
Okay guys here is another update of the build thus far no problems other then undersized formers that had to be re traced using the kits forms they fit like a glove gave the ship another burnishing everything is smooth. Again I wished that the cardstock on this kit was a tad thicker care must be taken when burnishing and handeling this kit other wise you will crinkle it and the model is ruined. The seams look apparent because of the thin paper on the kit but they are smooth and no gaps. Okay the entire fuselage is completed now I am constructing the cockpit compartment very colorful to say the least. yokes were cut out from the sheet and the seat constructed and installed to the cockpit floor. At this stage of construction I am fitting out the entire fuselage as sub assembly the kit builds very well once you get started you cant let go. Below are the cockpit assembly and their installation, Next will be the nose wheel well and bomb bay.
boats
Attached Thumbnails
Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-sam_1094.jpg   Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-sam_1095.jpg   Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-sam_1096.jpg   Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-sam_1097.jpg   Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-sam_1098.jpg  

Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-sam_1099.jpg   Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-sam_1100.jpg   Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-sam_1101.jpg   Hobby model p2v-7 neptune 1/33-sam_1102.jpg  
__________________
TURN TWO CONTINUE SHIPS WORK
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-25-2017, 12:18 AM
bloomohio's Avatar
bloomohio bloomohio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: canton,ohio
Posts: 414
Total Downloaded: 36.49 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to bloomohio
Wink P2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Modeler View Post
I'm an old P-2 crewmember I flew Radio mostly, but my official position was Julie/ECM operator. I spent over a thousand hours aboard this bird. I. Actually in one of the Navy official photos. I'm the guy in the aft window. We're flying a photo mission document eating the P2 role I. The Navy. I have this kit as well, but when I saw how big it was I never built it. I am happy to see you actually building it.
We are nieghbors up the road for the winter in Palm Springs, you ever visited the air museum here? P2 is good model but big i only have a download near tried printing it! Nice hearing from someone who fly one. My first onewasin Bermuda in early 60s.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-25-2017, 01:27 PM
Bionic Modeler's Avatar
Bionic Modeler Bionic Modeler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego CA area
Posts: 714
Total Downloaded: 3.10 MB
Sending out tomorrow. Your build is coming along nicely. I built the Hasegawa plastic version 15 years ago. We also had the P-5 Marlin in our squadron which I also built. But so far no paper models of the P-5 although I tried generating some interest a number of years ago to no avail. I wish Hobby model had a repaint of the P2 color scheme I flew. Or anyone else for that matter. I flew in every P-2 with the RP designation on the tail except RP7 which crashed a month after I arrived at North Island. Interestingly my squadron had a P-3 detachment at Whidby Island. They had an RP7 as well and it too crashed but it took 15 guys along with it. The P2 lost no one ditching at sea. Quite a coinsidence would t you say? They never replaced that number. I have pictures of that somewhere
__________________
Tim Hinds

"Oh wisdom thou are fled to brutish beasts and men have lost their reason" (Bill Shakespear)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-25-2017, 01:46 PM
deckape's Avatar
deckape deckape is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Moraine Ohio
Posts: 2,351
Total Downloaded: 233.50 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Modeler View Post
Sending out tomorrow. Your build is coming along nicely. I built the Hasegawa plastic version 15 years ago. We also had the P-5 Marlin in our squadron which I also built. But so far no paper models of the P-5 although I tried generating some interest a number of years ago to no avail. I wish Hobby model had a repaint of the P2 color scheme I flew. Or anyone else for that matter. I flew in every P-2 with the RP designation on the tail except RP7 which crashed a month after I arrived at North Island. Interestingly my squadron had a P-3 detachment at Whidby Island. They had an RP7 as well and it too crashed but it took 15 guys along with it. The P2 lost no one ditching at sea. Quite a coinsidence would t you say? They never replaced that number. I have pictures of that somewhere

Ahoy Tim

Thanks buddy
Boats
__________________
TURN TWO CONTINUE SHIPS WORK
Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 8.70%
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright © 2007-17, Paper Modelers.com