PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-17-2017, 02:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
i tempted to buy this one although im not into us airlines just to get the metal finish
Old 02-19-2017, 09:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Empennage

Hello PM's, once again thank you for your reactions, and welcome aboard.

@Don: When I was a 7-8 year old my granddad used to take me to Schiphol Airport, which is near the place my grandparents used to stay. I always remember watching these KLM DC-8's and DC-9's from the public promenade deck and smelling the kerosene. Still, whenever that smell is lingering in the air, I am reminded of those carefree days.

Back to the model. I started preparing the wings by installing the box structure through the fuselage but then thought it might be better to do the empennage first. These are parts without internal structure and I'm not so confident it will survive the handling of the model undamaged. So I decided to make the reinforcements myself. For the vertical fin I used 1mm thick cardboard and a skewer protuding through the fuselage and resting against one of the internal tail section formers and for the vertical stabilizer I used a 2mm diameter brass tube, bent in the correct shape.

To make stabilizers and vertical fin more rigid, I laminated them on the inside with 160 grams paper. All in all a bit of trial and error and I spent most of Saturday morning to get the job done.

For proper alignment of the parts I used a blown-up sized copy of one of the instruction drawings for reference and while I'm writing this, the glue (acetate-based) is still hardening for the horizontal stabilizers, which I will leave undisturbed overnight.

That's it for now, time to turn to some domestic duties .

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4444.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4445.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4446.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4448.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4449.jpg  

Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4451.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4452.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4453.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4454.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4455.jpg  

Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4450.jpg  
Old 02-19-2017, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Great work Erik. Everything aligns very nicely. I love the tube for the H Stabilizer.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 02-19-2017, 09:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.60 GB
Looks great!
Old 02-19-2017, 12:42 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Coming right along. Looking incredible.
Google Adsense
Old 02-19-2017, 03:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
Really nice work! It is going to be a beautiful model. You mentioned cleaning up your desk; on it's best day, my work area never looked as neat as yours looks now.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
The wings - Part 1

Hi guys,

Thank you for your valued reactions! It's been a while but other duties in life had priority over modelling in the past few days. Happens frequently lately...

Alright, next are the wings. The construction is simple. It starts with constructing a box structure that has to be slid through the fuselage, and then capped with wing profile formers.
Sumato was so kind to send me the updated version of his model and indicated that he has changed the internal structure, which should make it easier to install the wings.
That left me with a bit of an issue as I already had installed the box structure included in the original design and glued to the fuselage. The new design gives better shape to the wings I think so I decided to combine best of both.

I think the process is best illustrated in the pictures. I cut off part of the original box structure and prepared the right wing by using the new design with two profile formers. The inner former fits snugly to the landing gear well, so that's easy to install. I trimmed both formers just a little bit to ensure they only help to shape the wing, and not pressing too hard from the inside on the wing skin, which would otherwise result in "shining through'.
I reinforced the wing tips by laminating them, but leaving a slight margin around the edges. Also it helps to use small gluing strips approximately 1mm away from the trailing edges.

Dry-fitted the wing and it slides perfectly over the box stub so I will glue it in place accordingly. Haven't done so yet and I'm still pondering if I will use parts WB1 and WB2. In fact, they're not needed but may provide better reinforcement of the wingbox.

To be continued.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4487.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4488.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4489.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4490.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4491.jpg  

Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4492.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4493.jpg  
Old 03-02-2017, 04:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
nice work Erik

YOAV
Old 03-02-2017, 08:01 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Just keeps getting better!
Old 03-02-2017, 11:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
That's a real beauty! Looks so slick and seamless.

Thanks for posting...Dan
Google Adsense

Tags
1:72, dc-9-31, skyline papermodels