PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-08-2017, 06:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Very nice fit Erik. You're work is amazing.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 03-08-2017, 07:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Thanks Gary!

@ Herky: I agree, the fairings are not the easiest part. Probably the trick is to preshape the parts as accurate as possible and tweek the shape up to the best possible fit. Then, once you apply the glue, only small corrections are required to make the proper fit. Another thing is, I usually apply glue in stages. First to make sure that the part is in the proper position, and then the rest. Don't get tempted to apply glue at the entire part. Allow time to dry in between stages. A small hairdrier comes in very handy.

@Knife: That's a fine collection of DC-9's you have there, sir! I like the Valujet livery - somehow reminds me of that horrific DC-9-32 accident in 1996.

Erik
Old 03-08-2017, 10:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Thanks Gary!

@ Herky: I agree, the fairings are not the easiest part. Probably the trick is to preshape the parts as accurate as possible and tweek the shape up to the best possible fit. Then, once you apply the glue, only small corrections are required to make the proper fit. Another thing is, I usually apply glue in stages. First to make sure that the part is in the proper position, and then the rest. Don't get tempted to apply glue at the entire part. Allow time to dry in between stages. A small hairdrier comes in very handy.

@Knife: That's a fine collection of DC-9's you have there, sir! I like the Valujet livery - somehow reminds me of that horrific DC-9-32 accident in 1996.

Erik
do you put engine onto fairing then attach to fuselage or put fairing onto fuselage first then engine?
Old 03-09-2017, 01:15 AM

Wings - Part 4. Finished.

Morning guys, just a very quick update. This thing is addictive. Finished the wings last night by adding the flap canoes and strakes. Now on to the engines.

@Herky: The building instructions indicate to attach the pylon to the engine nacelle first and then to glue the entire assembly to the fuselage. Sounds like a logical approach and I think I'll settle for that.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4525.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4526.jpg  
Old 03-09-2017, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Morning guys, just a very quick update. This thing is addictive. Finished the wings last night by adding the flap canoes and strakes. Now on to the engines.

@Herky: The building instructions indicate to attach the pylon to the engine nacelle first and then to glue the entire assembly to the fuselage. Sounds like a logical approach and I think I'll settle for that.

Cheers,
Erik
engine to pylon was a good fit.pylon to fuselage was more difficult.good luck witgh it
Google Adsense
Old 03-09-2017, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Wow, Erik! That's really a beauty. So clean straight. Impressive size too! May need to download one of those...

Cheers,
Dan
Old 03-09-2017, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
It helps to cut and glue a cardboard spacer to the fuselage prior to attaching the engine/pylon assembly. Spreads the pylon to the proper shape and gives the glue something to attach to.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
It helps to cut and glue a cardboard spacer to the fuselage prior to attaching the engine/pylon assembly. Spreads the pylon to the proper shape and gives the glue something to attach to.
thanks for hint.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:04 AM

Engines - Part 1

Thank you, sirs. Knife/Herky: I'll keep your advice well in mind!

When studying the building instructions I already noticed that only one side of the pylons will be closed by a former and I intend to close the other side as well. Gives more stability to the assembly and surface area for gluing the pylon.

Work on the right side engine has started and is basically the same segmental construction as for the fuselage. Herewith a few pictures; couldn't resist to post them already. I try to work as seamless as possible. The advantage of white glue: it makes paper somewhat moldable.

Finding the right edge color for the lighter shade of blue is difficult, I'm using the best I could find in the house.

A pity though that the longitudinal seam runs at the bottom. Had it been at the pylon side or at the blue/blue interface line it would have been virtually invisible. The metal look of the inlet side is of a brilliant design though, so realistic!

The wording "whisperjet" is a bit ironical. Ever heard a DC9 that didn't scream?

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4527.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4528.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4529.jpg  
Old 03-10-2017, 10:30 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
What, what did you say? I can't hear you!!! I spent too many years around these, and even louder aircraft. I used to fly a BAC 1-11, now they were noisy!!!!
But your whisperjet is coming along very nicely.
Google Adsense

Tags
1:72, dc-9-31, skyline papermodels