PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-16-2017, 09:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
PM's, thank you once more .

Herky/Alan, you may find this post interesting as I took pictures of the process of attaching the pylon to the nacelle. Do not need to write much this time, as the preparation of the left engine followed the same recipe. Must say that I paid more attention to carefully mating the rear sides of the pylon and the fit to the fuselage is therefore better, but also the area where the rear side of the left pylon connects to the fuselage a small correction is required. No big deal and will show you next time. Haven't done it yet.

Ready for engine ground check!

Erik
looks great.thanks for the photos and tips
Old 03-20-2017, 02:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Landing gear

Thank you Gary, Knife and Herky !

Completion of the model is nearing. Worked on the landing gear over the weekend. Delicate part of the model. Started with the nose gear. I extended the strut until the roof of the cockpit and reinforced the core with a metal thread to improve the stability and strength of the nose gear.

For the main landing gear reinforcement options are few, other than a metal thread through the struts, bending the thread 90 degrees and protruding it through one of the wheel well walls. I hope this will make the entire assembly stronger. It remains very fragile though.

Wheels and axles still to be done. I'm considering of making the wheels according to Ricleite's method, by rolling a long strip of paper around the hub - it would be a good opportunity to test this method on this model. Never done it before.

One small issue as you can see in the last picture. The luggage bay needs to be filled with a few heavy suitcases to ensure the plane stays upright. It wasn't mentioned in the instructions to place a small weight in the nose so I thought it wouldn't be necessary but if you consider to build this model - ensure you glue a nut or something in the nose .

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4582.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4583.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4584.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4585.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4586.jpg  

Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4587.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4588.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4589.jpg  
Old 03-20-2017, 02:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
looks great.i chickened out on the finnair version and built it wheels up first time around.feel inspired now to do it again.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
very good work on the landing gears....very good

YOAV
Old 03-20-2017, 04:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Great detailing on the landing gear. Impressive build, Erik.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Google Adsense
Old 03-20-2017, 09:44 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Looks incredible. Let's fire that bad boy up and take it around the patch for a few touch and goes.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Absolutely beautiful!

Don
Old 03-20-2017, 07:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 38.04 MB
Good job!
Perfect!
Old 04-06-2017, 01:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Main wheels

Thank you guys! It's been a while since the last contribution to this thread, real life has simply been too busy lately.

The updated version of the model provides very basic, drum shaped wheels. Not really to my liking so I have been experimenting a bit with the preparation of the wheels. for as far as time permitted.

Ricleite was so kind to send me his "tire-files" last year and finally I could have a more detailed look at them, trying to understand the mathematics. I simplified the maths somewhat and used different qualities of paper (80 grams, 160 grams) to prepare a try-out of the wheels.
It's probably been the lack of sufficient time to practice this new technique (at least for me it is) but I wasn't satisfied with the result. The wheels appeared rather bobbly and unevenly and eventually I decided to use the sliced approach, by making concentric circles and to create the 3D looks. For the size of the wheels of the DC-9 this is good enough for the moment but I'm going to practise more on the "rolling method" as it is a very good method and I gained some interesting experience I would like to share with this community one day.

Let's not bore you too much with the details but here's the result of the main landing gear. The core of each wheel is made up of 2 layers of each 0.9mm thick cardboard laminated on either side with 7 (concentric) circles of 160 grams paper of 0.2mm thickness, resulting in the required 4.6mm overall thickness of each wheel.

The pictures reveal some of the process and the first one shows the various types of wheels I considered/prepared (from left to right: drum type as per the model; rolled up by using 160 grams 0.2mm thickness; sliced 160 grams and unfinished rolled up using 80 grams 0.1mm thickness).

I lightly sandpapered the end result to round the edges and painted them in Tamiya Rubber Black.

The axles consist of rolled paper reinforced with a metal core, diameter 2mm.

As mentioned before, I had to glue a small weight (two M12 nuts or something) in the forward luggage bay to prevent a tail strike .

Well, it's been a long story after all. Next time the model will be finished.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4611.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4612.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4613.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4614.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4615.jpg  

Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4621.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4622.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4623.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4624.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4625.jpg  

Old 04-06-2017, 02:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
As mentioned before, I had to glue a small weight (two M12 nuts or something) in the forward luggage bay to prevent a tail strike .
As long as there aren't two nuts in the cockpit I guess all is okay.

And this is one of my favorite airline liveries.
Google Adsense

Tags
1:72, dc-9-31, skyline papermodels