PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-31-2019, 06:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Christmas Devastator From Murph's 1/48th

Happy New Year to All!

Here is my latest completion. My son and I went out during Christmas vacation and saw "Midway". It was fun and he was impressed by the plight of the torpedo planes and did some research on Torpedo Squadron 8. So for Christmas, he got me a Devastator and a B-25 both of which were featured in the movie. It was a really thoughtful present. He got it on Ecards and it says Texas Tailwheel Flight Training designed by Aaron Murphy on the download. It was a fun and simple build with only a few changes on my part. It lacks formers so it relies on the paper to make the general shape and this makes for a fast and enjoyable build. I was really pleased with how the petal design on the torpedo came out. I must say that the end result is very appealing and sure looks like a Devastator! I only added a couple of aerial masts, wire, made it in-flight with retracted wheels and a spinning prop and did some post-shading with an airbrush to give the rendering some depth. I also added some paint chipping. My only real problems were the wing fillets which I just cut in two and added separately and try as I might, I couldn't get the fuselage stars to line up correctly. However, it all seems to make an eye-catching finished model. I made the stand from and old bathroom towel holder I saved after a remodel. Works great!

Thanks for looking and again, Happy New Year!!
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Christmas Devastator From Murph's 1/48th-img_4921.jpg   Christmas Devastator From Murph's 1/48th-img_4922.jpg   Christmas Devastator From Murph's 1/48th-img_4923.jpg   Christmas Devastator From Murph's 1/48th-img_4928.jpg   Christmas Devastator From Murph's 1/48th-img_4930.jpg  

Christmas Devastator From Murph's 1/48th-img_4931.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-31-2019, 06:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdr View Post
Happy New Year to All!

Here is my latest completion. My son and I went out during Christmas vacation and saw "Midway". It was fun and he was impressed by the plight of the torpedo planes and did some research on Torpedo Squadron 8. So for Christmas, he got me a Devastator and a B-25 both of which were featured in the movie. It was a really thoughtful present. He got it on Ecards and it says Texas Tailwheel Flight Training designed by Aaron Murphy on the download. It was a fun and simple build with only a few changes on my part. It lacks formers so it relies on the paper to make the general shape and this makes for a fast and enjoyable build. I was really pleased with how the petal design on the torpedo came out. I must say that the end result is very appealing and sure looks like a Devastator! I only added a couple of aerial masts, wire, made it in-flight with retracted wheels and a spinning prop and did some post-shading with an airbrush to give the rendering some depth. I also added some paint chipping. My only real problems were the wing fillets which I just cut in two and added separately and try as I might, I couldn't get the fuselage stars to line up correctly. However, it all seems to make an eye-catching finished model. I made the stand from and old bathroom towel holder I saved after a remodel. Works great!

Thanks for looking and again, Happy New Year!!
Dan
Very cool. I had that commissioned and I liked how mine turned out, too! - pictures here: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/404190-post16.html
Old 12-31-2019, 07:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Very nice bird, Dan. I love the spinning prop.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 12-31-2019, 07:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I was wondering why your pictures show significant weathering when compared to Ryans pictures.That's actual airbrushing or airbrush done in digital copy before printing?

It looks good,maybe slightly too much but still very effective.

Ryan-do you have pictures of your B-25 build?
Old 12-31-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
I was wondering why your pictures show significant weathering when compared to Ryans pictures.That's actual airbrushing or airbrush done in digital copy before printing?

It's airbrushed onto the paper after the build. I too agree it's a little much in places but it's fun to do and I tend to get carried away!

I think the B-25 will be next. Thanks so much for looking and commenting!
Dan
Google Adsense
Old 12-31-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanShort1 View Post
Very cool. I had that commissioned and I liked how mine turned out, too! - pictures here: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/404190-post16.html

Hi Ryan,

I'm really glad you did! I haven't had a Devastator in a million years and that was the old Monogram kit. I really like this Murph one. It will look great on my desk at work!

Cheers,
Dan
Old 12-31-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Just saw yours! Sweet! --Dan
Old 12-31-2019, 07:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post

I don't. Life's been a bit weird the last three years. I have a few more commissions (including a pretty nice, so far unbuilt Martin Baltimore) that I need to send to Ecardmodels as soon as I can get things together.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:59 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Love to see a build thread of your weathering technique...
Old 12-31-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I don't. Life's been a bit weird the last three years. I have a few more commissions (including a pretty nice, so far unbuilt Martin Baltimore) that I need to send to Ecardmodels as soon as I can get things together.

A Baltimore! I'd love to see that...Dan
Google Adsense