PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-09-2017, 09:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
nice job...it looks very good.

YOAV
Old 03-09-2017, 11:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Looks good, and folks can recognize it. Not your fault that the front fuselage in the kit is inaccurate. As mentioned above, it would be hard to design this section for paper

The only other model of this plane I thought about building is the one from Canon, and the front upper section is just flat on it.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
Seems like certain pics make that section more distinct, where in others is doesn't show at all. Either way, it seems the designer was attempting to capture a complex curve in paper, and his solution isn't acceptable to everyone. Oh well. Good model, nice build!
Attached Thumbnails
Spirit of St Louis-dupont_de_spiritstlouis_27.jpg   Spirit of St Louis-spirit-hanger-d6m23b.jpg  
Current builds: Mirco Firefly Serenity 1:96, Saturn V 1:72
ADD victims: WM Columbia 1:100, AXM Atlas V 1:300, OBP Spruce Goose, Uhu02 X-Wing... and many others
Old 03-09-2017, 01:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, Llaut Mallorquin. That's a very nice looking Spirit you've built there. I assembled the Schreiber kit many years ago, in fact it was one of the first paper models I ever built. I had no complaint with the designer's choice for the connection between the forward fuselage and the wing, but if I remember correctly, the instructions called for the propeller to be made backwards. Standing in front of the Spirit, the prop should spin counterclockwise, as per the attached photo.

Years ago, I gave my model away, so I can't confirm my recollections. When I finally found out about the prop, I thought it was a more obvious error than the designer's shortcut mentioned above.

I'm curious, were the instructions incorrect, or am I just getting old, (along with most of the rest of us around here).

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Spirit of St Louis-spirit.jpg  
Old 03-09-2017, 01:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

Sorry to speak out of turn, but I think I now remember that it was the indicated positions on the spinner that were incorrect, rather than any instructions.

See? Getting old.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Google Adsense
Old 03-09-2017, 01:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 439.73 MB
Hello
Thank you for many answers and comments
The yellow pieces do not fit
I did others (measured in metric)
I apologize for the drawing, but it fits the fuselage better
Old 03-09-2017, 01:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 439.73 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
This kit is not "rubbish"!! The kit is accurate, and that piece glued on top of the fuselage does not represent any windows. This Schreiber model is simple but it provides a nice rendition of this famous plane. One issue: You glued the propeller blades wrong. With an inverted pitch angle. All American aircraft use propellers turning to the counterclockwise as seen from front. There is a much more detailed model of the Spirit, I think it is by WAK or a similar Polish brand but consequently much more difficult to make.
Thanks for your information, Edubarca
I placed the propeller like the instructions say.
Now I know it is wrong, the propeller blades must be placed counterclockwise turning
Regards
Old 03-09-2017, 02:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.13 GB
Really nice, great work!
Old 03-09-2017, 02:57 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 103.02 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llaut Mallorquin View Post
Thanks for your information, Edubarca
I placed the propeller like the instructions say.
Now I know it is wrong, the propeller blades must be placed counterclockwise turning
Regards
The GELI Beechcraft Bonanza also has wrong pitch. This quite obvious and I do not understand why some designers miss this very important issue.
EDUARDO
Old 03-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 103.02 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1158 View Post
The piece on top of the fuselage does not appear on the real thing, ergo, the model is not accurate.
Perhaps you are right, it is not 100% accurate but everybody can say it is a Spirit. It is simple and simplicity sometimes costs accuracy. Also remember that model is extremely old. Perhaps 40 or more years. I still think it is attractive and best of all, easy to make. The success of the GELI line of card models is that they are very simple as compared to other brands and accurately enough, but they are easy to build and every Mr. Joe Average can make it and the results are really nice. It is not a museum Halinski type of model but nice enough to exhibit at home and say "I made that!!"
EDUARDO
Google Adsense