PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-10-2017, 10:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
100 Year Bloody April Build: R.E.8 (Kampflieger 1/72nd)

Hi All,

I decided I couldn't let April 2017 going by without a tribute to those brave recon crews who went up against Jasta 11 and were shot down in droves. The plane that, to me, epitomizes that time is the ol' Harry Tate R.E.8.

So I chose Kampflieger's in 1/72nd. I had such fun with Wayne's 1/72 machines, I hope this one goes as well!

100 Year Bloody April Build: R.E.8 (Kampflieger 1/72nd)-img_0020_zpszkvuarll.jpg

Just a small break from the 109.

Stay tuned...

Dan
Google Adsense
Old 04-11-2017, 08:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The Dear Ol' Harry Tate has always been one of my favorite airplanes. That cocked-up fuselage, rather like the Carolina wrens that visit my back garden, and the overall look have always appealed to me. It certainly played a key role in aerial reconnaissance in the final years of the Great War.

I look forward to your build.

Don
Old 04-11-2017, 09:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
I have a Kampflieger model of an SE5 in 1/48 scale printed and ready! Now to find the time. I have enjoyed all of Kampflieger models I have built so far, both vehicles and planes!
Old 04-11-2017, 09:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
Hmmm... two of the ugliest planes of the Great War, the R.E.8 and the SE5 (IMHO). Can't argue about their importance to the war, though.

I always enjoy WWI builds and I'll certainly follow this one.

~~ Current Project: 1:100 Skipjack Kathryn ~~
~~ First Project: 1:250 Zeppelin LZ-17 Sachsen ~~
Old 04-11-2017, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.70 MB
Look forward to seeing this done.

Jeff - I have a fondness for the SE5. It definitely would not have won a beauty contest but it was effective in the right hands.

Don - to me the RE8 looks as if it wants to fold up in the middle at a moments notice.

I read somewhere that the average life expectancy for an RAF pilot for bloody April was 18 hours. Brave lads to climb into those machines mission after mission knowing the odds were not in their favor.
Darren
Old 04-13-2017, 01:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 295.28 MB
OMG... I have this kit! I have not gotten around to building it yet so I will most definitely keep an eye on this thread.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.69 GB
I fully agree with Jeff. Of course, effectiveness and beauty is not obligatory to go on par with aircraft. The SE 5, in my opinion is a good plane, but aesthetically seemed to have regressed a few years. I like the rounded designs more.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
All,

So far, I got some of the fuselage done and tails on. This guy will look cool when done, but so far is harder to put together than the other 1/72nd projects I've done so far. Few structural formers, lots of edge gluing etc. My lack of experience in the medium is beginning to show! For example, I think I put the interior "box" too far forward and have had to "adjust" as I put on the top pieces. Most obvious is the wonky area around the cockpits. Thank goodness for dark markers... The interior is simple but very effective in my opinion.

100 Year Bloody April Build: R.E.8 (Kampflieger 1/72nd)-img_0026_zpsqpc6o360.jpg

100 Year Bloody April Build: R.E.8 (Kampflieger 1/72nd)-img_0024_zpslpefruzn.jpg

100 Year Bloody April Build: R.E.8 (Kampflieger 1/72nd)-img_0028_zpscprqfeql.jpg

Coming along, though. I do think the outline etc. as well as the scale thickness of the wings, tails etc. put the old Airfix kit to shame. But it will still be neat to see them next to each other in a short while.

Cheers to all,
Dan
Old 04-15-2017, 05:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Great looking fuselage, Dan. Nice start.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 04-15-2017, 06:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Deft craftsmanship! Looks exactly like a Reconnaissance Experimental 8.

Roman's models are beautiful and the parts fit precisely, but I have found them to be challenging since everything has to be cut and fitted together precisely. Of course, that's the key to paper modeling - skills I am still working on!

Incidentally, I just discovered that Fiddlers Green has an R.E.8 at their site, but it is listed as not available. Pretty images, though: RAF RE.8 | Aircraft |

Don
Google Adsense