PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-05-2017, 05:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Curse of the Magister

This saga probably belongs in the "Comedy Stand" forum, but I'm putting it here anyhow.

Having built a few of Bruno's 1:300 models, I decided my next project would be the first file he released in the "One Model Every (Non-Working) Day" thread -- the Fouga Magister in Patrouille de France colors, 1:100. There's nothing particularly tricky about this model, but I simply cannot get it going my way so far. The first time I printed it was on 67 lb. card stock, and I never put knife to cutting board on that one; the paper was obviously too thick. So I tried Epson Premium Presentation Paper Matte, which is like a lightweight cardstock (with a very definite right and wrong side). It was still too thick, and I may have allowed my subconscious to save me from finishing it by gluing the wing on upside down (first picture). Into the wastebasket it went.

My next attempt was on some absolutely wonderful (and very expensive) high quality bond paper that I got at Paper Source. It worked extremely well on the 1:300 Zero, and it was going well on this model too. I made two mistakes, though -- I tried gluing the fuselage sections without using the glue strips at all, and although they did stick to each other, alignment was a serious problem. The fatal flaw, though, was that I glued the tail wheel / fairing badly crooked. I tried without much hope to slice it off, and that failed as badly as I expected it would (second picture).

As I was reprinting it yet again, I was looking at the beautiful, saturated colors on screen and wishing they weren't so washed out on the page. This inspired me to tinker with my printer settings, changing from "Plain paper" to "Photo paper matte." Aha! This was a good idea -- the printer took FOREVER to print, but the colors were deeper and more saturated as I had hoped (third picture). The photo setting is on the left, with a sample of the plain paper setting overlapping the right side.

So tonight I sat down, knife in hand, started cutting and . . . What the *BLEEP*, where did THAT come from?!? (fourth picture). It took me a while to realize that when I washed my hands before sitting down to the worktable, the Bandaid on one finger absorbed water which it then deposited on the printed model.

I'm about to print it out again. I'm hanged if this thing's going to beat me. Wish me luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Curse of the Magister-wing.jpg   Curse of the Magister-glue-tear.jpg   Curse of the Magister-compared.jpg   Curse of the Magister-spots.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-05-2017, 06:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
You totally have my sympathy, and my best wishes on the next try. You also have my admiration, because I could not build anything at such a small scale. My fat fingers somehow get all tangled up.

My fingers are crossed for you!

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 05-05-2017, 09:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Good luck. I had a jinxed model a couple months ago. I stopped trying when the cat barfed on my third attempt...
Old 05-05-2017, 09:17 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Time to be careful...,

God is watching you so I'd be careful.

Spray sealing the surface is highly recommended as is wearing surgical gloves - the gloves are a push though..,

Be safe,
-Gil
Old 05-06-2017, 02:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
You do seem to encounter models from time to time that seemingly don't want to be built but exist solely to try your patience . I think we've all encountered such a model or two. Beware, there are dark forces at work !
Maybe you should move onto a different model for a while, then try again.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Quote:
It took me a while to realize that when I washed my hands before sitting down to the worktable, the Bandaid on one finger absorbed water which it then deposited on the printed model.
Been there, done that.

Break a leg on the next one and have fun with the Scottish play. Hop on one leg, cross your fingers, &ca.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Bad Kharma

Anne -

As I recall, it was your under-construction Russian Reno that was dropped on by a bird at last year's Army Heritage Days. There may be a larger Force at work here. You might try burning joss sticks.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Curse of the Magister-ahd-160522_annes-bird-bombed_renault-ft.jpg  
Old 05-07-2017, 10:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 129.82 MB
Hi, Anne!
Don't worry, "if life handles you a citrus fruit, make lemonade" - so get on and try to turn it into a nice little diorama:
Some guy of the mechanics crew messing around with a fire extinguisher - the pilot getting angry, and the others laughing - until the wing commander comes out of the wings....
Kind regards -
papercaptain
Old 05-07-2017, 10:21 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
the title of this thread conjures up a bad B-movie from the 1950's
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 05-07-2017, 06:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
You Can Always Turn It Into A Universal Flying Paper Model

Hi Anne,

I feel your pain.

Sometimes I've found it helpful to turn said model into a "Universal" Flying Paper Model.

These are great fun to fly! I like to fly them across the room aiming at a specific landing area.

The instructions are kind of difficult to translate: However, a photo or two are worth a thousand words, it has been said:

Top View:
Curse of the Magister-universal-flying-model-top-view.jpg

Side View:
Curse of the Magister-universal-flying-model-side-view.jpg

Hope you actually get yours done correctly!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Google Adsense