PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-15-2017, 11:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Wow. Another attack of gout; which leads to taking oxycodon for the pain and then I am just about useless.

...and back to the DVII.

First of all, it isn't accepting my upload (again). So pretend that we are looking at lozenge designs.

I started with my Profiles book that I received as a Christmas present back in the late '60s. As those of us from that time can remember, each month the magazine of the IPMS used to include a profile. Then they got bundled into books which was and is fantastic. Profile No. 25 shows the DVII.

I have based my 4 color pattern on that in this profile. Of course it is not identical since back then there were no PCs or relatively available computers to do graphics. Thus the pattern shown in the Profile is hand done and takes considerable tweaking to make into a repeating and useable pattern.

I have made up my own colors based upon the written descriptions on p. 10.

Then I went scouting out on the internet and found almost as many patterns and colors as there are people posting. I have borrowed a couple of these as alternative colors for my own pattern - but I still only have the one bottom pattern and color set.

I have the wings laid out and will be attempting to form them while waiting for the site to let me upload the image...

Carl
Old 05-15-2017, 05:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Sounds like the project marches. Look forward to the images if and when the current image uploading unpleasantness ends.

Good wishes for gout improvement.

Don
Old 05-16-2017, 08:46 PM

Woo and effing hoo!

The top image is my version of the 4 color underside.

Bear in mind that colors change when they go through printers, and that I might adjust things later. The Kampflieger model took these colors and darkened them a bit. I might to the same but so far do not feel like I need to.

The next down is the upper 4 color with my own best attempt to match the descriptions of colors for the different blocks.

The next two are from profiles that I found scattered on the interweb that look appealing to me. I have rearranged colors on the lowest one so they don't show such an obvious pattern.

So, my learnings. Nobody has nailed down the actual colors for the lozenge camolflauge. Oh, and I left out the "Blue Max" coloring which is interesting in its own right. At this point I have no strong feeling for: a) was there one only color set? ...with adjustments for local dyes; b) were there a smorgasbord of different camo colors?; c) what were the actual colors?

To confuse things, there are statements that by late in the war all planes were painted an olive-y green. Other statements that lozenge might have showed through the painting.

Sooooo, a person could legitimately make an all olive plane. Or make a plane with camo wings and undersides with olive fuselage... or, well whatever they feel like.

I might point out that this extends to the vents on the engine compartment. I chose to use the same pattern copied from left to right. But there are MANY other patterns for these cooling vents.

So, making a "stock" Fokker DVII is like chasing the perfect tax return. I plan on doing what seems right to me but not too absurd.

BTW, I have done a minor test build and am working on doing a second layout for another build. My adorable wife pretends to be interested...

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
Fokker DVII 1/48, 1/72 design-d7-515a.jpg  
Old 05-16-2017, 08:47 PM

... and thanks for showing a little interest Don Boose, and it is so nice to see you again Old Troll.

Carl
Old 05-16-2017, 08:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Beautiful plane. The DVII is so elegant.
Will follow this thread

Google Adsense
Old 05-17-2017, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Although I have no expertise in the area of WWI lozenge camouflage, I very much enjoy reading about your research and experimentation and seeing the images.

Don
Old 05-17-2017, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Welcome back! If I may ask, how do you align the top and side views of a 3view to be perpendicular? Is it by rotating and layering?
Old 05-18-2017, 05:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
The lozenge camouflage is an continuing topic of discussion in WWI circles. I think the endless variations and experimentations are what make WWI aircraft such an attractive subject for modeling. My personal favorite is the Austro-Hungarian 'swirl' pattern. Makes one wonder just what those designers were doing in their spare time....

Looking forward to seeing the D-VII progress.

~~ Current Project: 1:100 Skipjack Kathryn ~~
~~ First Project: 1:250 Zeppelin LZ-17 Sachsen ~~
Old 05-18-2017, 06:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
A few years ago I built a 1:33 version of the D.VII (Fitter, I think).

I wonder how difficult it will be to work at a smaller 1:48, or even at 1:72!!!!!!!

Old 05-18-2017, 11:57 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Wow.......you miss a few days dealing with a stomach bug and old Friends show up.

Great to see you designing again ...... And a bi-plane no less...... Welcome back Carl!!!!!

Day 2 without tossing my cookies....maybe I can keep up.

My Drawings
Google Adsense