PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-16-2017, 06:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
1/60 1950s USAF Fighters

I hope to use this thread to show images of models of the U.S. Air Force fighters of the late 1940s and early 1950s that were flying when I first began building models. The project began earlier this year when Peter Ansoff, Anne McCombs, Thomas Clay, John Glessner, and I planned to attend the annual IPMS Northern Virginia (NOVA) event in Fairfax, Virginia. The theme was the 70th anniversary of the USAF, and Scott Fyn gave us permission to distribute copies of the Fiddlers Green North American F-86 Sabre. As it turned out, I was unable to attend the event but did build the Sabre and started work on the Republic F-84F.

I haven't got very far along on the project, but Jason asked me to try posting images to see if the recent image uploading issue has been solved. So here is my 1/60 FG F-86E Sabre in the markings of the 334th Fighter Interceptor Squadron of the 4th Fighter Interceptor Group at Kimpo Air Base, Korea, in 1952 (but with the buzz number of an F-86F of the 67th FIS, 18th FIW - more on that at a later time). The pierced steel planking is from Dave Winfield's 1/50 airfield accessory set shrunk to 1/60.

It is built essentially straight out of the box except for separate tabs and some modifications to the undercarriage. With my very modest building skills, it can't compare with some of the beautiful models showcased in our forum, and lacks undercarriage doors that I hope to add later, but it is recognizable as a Sabre Jet and does demonstrate that we can now upload images.

Eventually, I will provide some images of the construction and should have the F-84 completed soon.

Some of us have been building and reviewing FG models to identify those suitable for beginners, those that go together well, and those that are difficult to build and/or have fit problems. The F-86 goes together well and is suitable for beginners, which is why we chose it for the NOVA event (Anne's images of which are here: NoVa Model Classic 2017)

More later,

Don

PS: The image uploading problem seems to be fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
1/60 1950s USAF Fighters-fg_f-86_334fis_170418_14.jpg   1/60 1950s USAF Fighters-fg_f-86_334fis_170418_15.jpg   1/60 1950s USAF Fighters-fg_f-86_334fis_170418_16.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 05-16-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 05-16-2017, 07:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
There's something about early jets. Nice model.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Good job, Don. The air intake looks very good.

Papermate
Old 05-16-2017, 08:23 AM

Thanks, Gotham and Papermate. The air intake doesn't look bad - either because or in spite of my not having completely blackened the intake area. I forgot to do so and hadn't noticed until I saw the image. But the blackened tabs against the white give the impression (to me at least) of weathering.

Your clean, precise builds are an inspiration, Papermate, and I have learned a lot from reading through your threads, but still lack the hand skills. Even at my age, I keep hoping that they will improve through practice.

Don
Old 05-18-2017, 05:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.38 MB
Don, that's a nice Sabre. It looks crisp and the parts are well-aligned. There isn't a single dent on it! I Look forward to seeing more of your work.
Google Adsense
Old 05-18-2017, 07:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Very nice Don! In some days my next build is a FG F-84 in 1/100 scale.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:51 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Nice, clean build, Don. I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that some of the Fiddler's Green hand drawn early jets can be a real challenge to build. I have several of these kits, but have never attempted to assemble one. I look forward to your future models in this series, and learning from your experience.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:57 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
The 50's and early 60's aircraft have always been my favorite. That f-86 looks great.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:13 AM

Thanks Yeti, Pericles, and Don.

The F-84F is nearly complete, but I am tied up with running an on-line USAWC forum and getting ready for the Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days event this weekend.

Don - Some of the early FG jets are problematic. The Grumman F9F, for example, is unbuildable for anyone at my skill level, although John Glessner has turned it into a beautiful model. I am assisting Scott Fyn in a project to identify FG models that have serious fit problems, as well as those that fit well and are suitable for beginners. https://www.fiddlersgreen.net/review

The F-86 goes together well, although I had to trim the upper forward edge of the rear fuselage section to ensure the fuselage was straight. However, I am not sure if this is an issue with the kit or my having not cut the parts out precisely. There are some other issues with the F-86: the nose wheel assembly is inaccurate, the canopy appears a little too big, and the buzz number is for a different aircraft. But it builds easily and looks nice, although I have a way to go on making the cut lines on the canopy look less noticeable.

The more recent kits, like the F-84F are excellent. The F-84F and P-80 were designed by Rob Carleen and Kancho Iliev. The graphics are first rate and the fit of parts for the F-84F has been pretty near perfect.

In the future, I will provide assembly images and comments for the F-86 and F-84F. I have printed out the P-80 and the parts for the Thunderbirds F-84G.

I have competing paper model projects underway (Vietnam 50, IJA fighters, Pearl Harbor, and assorted tanks) and planned (Martin bombers, US Navy 50s fighters, the Triumph air group in July 1950, and on and on), and I build very slowly, often have to start over due to poor craftsmanship, and am easily distracted, so this may take a while.

But I hope that you will at least see the completed F-84F on Saturday, Don.

More later,

Don (too)
Old 05-18-2017, 09:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
There's something about early jets. Nice model.
Indeed. A technical report on why there is something about them and what the definition of that something is is something I will likely never be able to provide other than the point that it's probably not merely because of shiny.
Google Adsense