PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-02-2017, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 172.42 MB
A trip down memory lane

28 die-cut planes from Kellogg's Pep. F273-18 Model Warplane Series (7)(7)(7)(7) Kellogg's Pep, USA
For a short time these planes were profiles printed on wood. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they went to paper after complaints about kids cutting their fingers.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
Wheaties Aircraft

In 1944, my favorite breakfast cereal was Wheaties (my favorite radio serial was Jack Armstrong: All American Boy; sponsored by Wheaties). Jack advertised a series of WWII war planes. You would tape 10 cents to a Wheaties box top, along with the name of the plane you wanted, and then send it to the address Jack gave you on his program. The plane would be mailed forthwith. They were gliders with a penny glued in the nose. I don't remember how many I had, but I think it was most of them. In 1989, Tru-Flight reprinted the models and sold them through PMI. Naturally, I bought the set of 14 for $30. Every once in a while, I bring them out and dream of the "good old days". I have never assembled any of them.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 172.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by missileer View Post
In 1944, my favorite breakfast cereal was Wheaties (my favorite radio serial was Jack Armstrong: All American Boy; sponsored by Wheaties). Jack advertised a series of WWII war planes. You would tape 10 cents to a Wheaties box top, along with the name of the plane you wanted, and then send it to the address Jack gave you on his program. The plane would be mailed forthwith. They were gliders with a penny glued in the nose. I don't remember how many I had, but I think it was most of them. In 1989, Tru-Flight reprinted the models and sold them through PMI. Naturally, I bought the set of 14 for $30. Every once in a while, I bring them out and dream of the "good old days". I have never assembled any of them.
Some of these planes are still available (free) at his site. https://users.ece.cmu.edu/~koopman/airplanes/ Where I grew up in Berkeley, California the neighborhood skies were full of these planes as were our cereal bowls full of Wheaties.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the link. Now I can build a few for my Grandchildren to fly and not destroy my original reprints.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 82.89 MB
yeh, I remember those also--my mom got so tired of buying Wheaties. She ended up puting the wheaties into a can so that I could have the box.Jack was the man in those days along with " Don Winslow Of The Navy", remember him you guys?
Google Adsense
Old 06-03-2017, 01:39 PM

Oh, yes! And I still have my Yankee Flier, Lucky Terrell and Dave Dawson books, which I have introduced to my Grandchildren over the years. My oldest grandson Majored in History in college, because of those books.