PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-15-2017, 05:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Another week gone by, another cockpit skin completed (starboard side this time). I searched and searched and searched the parts sheets for part #60, but couldn't find it, so I decided to scratch build the part. On the diagrams, part #60 looked like some kind of flat panel; in real life, the part turned out to be two separate instruments with hand-crank dials on them (no clue what they are). One of the frustrating things with a Halinski kit, believe it or not, is that it takes a lot of effort to put the bits together, and it yields an impressive level of detail, but then you compare the kit to a picture of the real thing, and you see that there's a LOT of detail left out. It produces mixed feelings of sadness that some details got omitted, mixed with relief that they DID get omitted! Weird, I know.

Brewster B-239 Buffalo by ccoyle - Halinski 1/2008 - 1/33 scale-fuselage_8.jpg

P.S. After I finished everything up on this sub-assembly, I found the missing #60.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Wonderful clean work!!
Old 07-17-2017, 01:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Indeed, beautiful clean work. The small container with the red cross is a detail that reminds one of the wartime dangers....

Erik
Old 07-17-2017, 06:47 PM

Thank you, gentlemen. My build will be on hold for a few days. My headband magnifier broke, and I need to order a new one. Now I will be able to replace the el cheapo one I have with something a little better. Can't work without one.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:55 PM

Wow. I didn't realize that it's been over a month since I posted an update. The sad truth is -- there's nothing to update. I got the new magnifier (it works fine), and I have had numerous other non-modeling projects to work on in the interim (honey-do projects -- ugh). But on top of all that there is this one other consideration: this model frightens me. Knowing how little margin there is for error in these Halinski designs, I have become alarmed at the sizes of the gaps that have resulted from applying the inner cockpit skins. I did a test fit of one of the outer skins, and it was several millimeters short of completely wrapping around the fuselage. That has really put a damper on my enthusiasm for the whole project. I know it's my fault and not the kit's, because there are excellent examples of the finished kit pictured on the Web. Sadly, the Buff is now part of an unacceptably long list of unfinished modeling projects. I'm gonna have to find some mojo soon and get some of these done. Hunting season is almost here, though, and then I will be horribly distracted until January.
Google Adsense
Old 08-25-2017, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 172.42 MB
I have several Halinski models in my "to-build" pile and they all scare me. Can you elaborate on your new magnifier. I use a desktop lamp/magnifier, but due to my wearing trifocals it is not always satisfactory.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Quote:
I have several Halinski models in my "to-build" pile and they all scare me.
I understand being apprehensive about building a Halinski model, in part because of the reputation of being difficult. On the other hand, the construction, fit, and printing are, with very few exceptions, excellent. So, my way of tackling one is to consider them a lot of small assemblies that come together as a finished product. Much like a car assembly line.

My first printed paper model was a Halinski Hell Cat. I didn't know it was supposed to be difficult, just started cutting and glue. There were pieces left over, but it turned out fine. I still display it with my latest builds. So I would urge one to dive in. A finished Halinski model is something to be proud of, even if there are a few miss-fits or a crooked seam.

Jim
Old 08-25-2017, 08:09 PM

MrConk,

Until recently I had a very cheap headband magnifier, the kind that comes with two flip-down lenses inside the band. Eventually one of the small tabs that hold the spring-loaded lenses down broke, so that the lenses would no longer stay down. So I bought a new magnifier -- forgot the brand already. It has four interchangeable snap-in lenses of various magnification powers, plus a removable LED light. Works good so far -- no complaints.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:00 PM

Just an update to let you all know that I have been doing a little work on this model here and there. I had hoped that I had done enough sanding and shaping of the fuselage formers that I would not have to do a lot of sanding and prepping after fitting the inner cockpit skins, as I had to do with the I-16. But, alas, it was not to be. All of my recent work has been lots of sanding on the skinned cockpit, leaving only the thinnest possible remnant of the inner skins. Even with this I will be left with needing to fill some gaps in the outer skins. I have cut the outer skins into several pieces to help with properly aligning them in the best way possible, and I will have to pay very careful attention to matching the graphics up on adjacent pieces, but I think I will be able to pull it off. How well I can pull it off remains to be seen.

Later!
Old 09-16-2017, 06:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
I have a couple of Halinski models in my stack. I'm not brave enough to cut into them for fear of ruining them.
Google Adsense

Tags
brewster b-239, buffalo, halinski