PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-16-2017, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARX2 View Post
I have a couple of Halinski models in my stack. I'm not brave enough to cut into them for fear of ruining them.
Can you scan them for back-up or build?
Old 07-23-2018, 07:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Stick a Fork In It -- I'm Done (Probably)

Wow. I can't believe it's been over a year since I started this thread and 10 months since I have updated it. Yikes. Well, it's a sad tale, I tell ya. I was shifting back and forth from the Brewster to the HMV SMS Emden tropo version as the mood suited. I eventually ran into some snags on that build, too, and at that point all of my modeling mojo just up and left. It's been many months since I have felt any motivation at all, but this past weekend I actually dug the Brewster out and looked it over again. The situation hadn't improved any in my time away. The hull framework is simply too large, and the skins just won't fit. There's gaps of up to 2 mm between adjoining skins, and I can't remove any more thickness without stripping off the inner skins entirely. Gaps of 1-2 mm are not going to work on a precision design like this one, so ... I'm laying it to rest. It's too bad, because the kit itself is a thing of beauty. Perhaps one day I'll take another crack at it, but I have a good-sized stash of paper and wooden models waiting to be built, so I can't honestly justify forking out the dough for another Halinski kit. I believe my problems began by placing too much trust in the laser-cut former set and not checking the skins fit earlier in the process. Hopefully that will serve as a lesson to aspiring Halinski builders.

Cheers!
Old 07-24-2018, 04:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Sorry to hear that but a sad state of affairs coming from a major producer.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
To me another justification for the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle. I am struggling to finish this 1:33 Nieuport BeBe because I spend literally half of my time staring at the parts diagrams trying to figure out where the bloody parts are!! I have looked at the WIP's for Halinski kits on the forum and I want no part of something that overly complex. Especially when many of my kits wind up in the hands of an 8 year old boy.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 07-24-2018, 04:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Hate hearing stories like this. All that time invested.....
Old 07-24-2018, 05:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
This is sad, of course, it is sad to leave something when he starts very excited and with many expectations.But rescue the positive and teaching that this model leaves, every model leaves something positive.And start again with all the enthusiasm and expectations, a stumble is not a fall.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:05 PM

Eh, don't make this out to be worse than it is. I've had other kits from other designers not come together, and I've finished up plenty that were tough nuts to crack, like the Po-2 in my avatar. And the proportion of models in the wooden ship hobby that don't get finished is far, far higher!

Cheers!
Old 07-24-2018, 07:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Ah if you knew the number of boats that I could not finish or that were destroyed by my sisters, or their little friends, or some nephews. At that time they were small, now their descendants are predators. I remember the Halifax, beautiful ship, it took me months , I come from naval modeling in wood, it had been perfect, one day when I returned from work my sister crying and with what was left of Halifax in her hands. She says, can you fix it? If you do not worry, I'll fix it. Lie, it was irretrievable. Today I laughed, that day was sad, but my little sister smiled again. And many were left on the road for this or that. The important thing is to go on enjoying, today's grief tomorrow will no longer be
Old 06-11-2020, 01:58 PM

I did order myself another copy of the B-239, along with the Gloster Sea Gladiator. I don't know when I will get around to my second attempt at this model, but at least when I do I will be aware of the some of the pitfalls.

Cheers!
Old 06-11-2020, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I look forward to seeing this next one take shape!

Don
Google Adsense

Tags
brewster b-239, buffalo, halinski