PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-20-2020, 08:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)

Here we go again. I'm kind of liking this stay at home stuff. Getting work done AND models too! I'm starting this lovely machine soon. Should be a good challenge as it's so graceful and needs really nicely done curves to do it justice.

Stay tuned!

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)-img_5360-copy.jpg   Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)-img_5361-copy.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-20-2020, 10:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.42 GB
I love German WWI aircraft, the Albatros and the Pfalz are two of my favorites.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:31 PM

Got the engine done! It took some real head-scratching for some of the details as the directions are sort of not there and some of the numbers are incorrect. However, I tried to make it as the kit intended with the only problem being that it isn't really all that accurate. Some of the manifold piping is wrong (I think) and I really have no idea what that disc on the front of the engine is...although I did find some photos of the real engine and I think I know where the designer was coming from. It would have been hard to add valve springs as well due to the design without making a completely new top end, so I left it alone.

I only added the manifold pipes from stretched sprue, spark plugs and wires and the wire guide on each side. The engine is kind of out in the breeze so it makes sense to take some time to doll it up even if it's more "steam punk" than accurate. In the end, it's a nice busy top end and will look nice with an exhaust and radiator tubing attached!

More soon...Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)-img_5366-copy.jpg   Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)-img_5369-copy.jpg   Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)-img_5370-copy.jpg  
Old 05-24-2020, 05:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.42 GB
Beautiful work, can't wait to see the rest of the model
Old 05-24-2020, 05:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Amazing work, Dan. The detailing is very impressive, and look realistic.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Google Adsense
Old 05-24-2020, 09:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
That's a very good start Dan, the engine looks great with all this detail and nice artwork!

Erik
Old 05-24-2020, 11:44 AM

Got the tails done! Easy-peasy...Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)-img_5371-copy.jpg   Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)-img_5372-copy.jpg  
Old 05-24-2020, 10:58 PM

Evening All!

I got the cockpit done (man...the seat fit in an "interesting" way...lots of head scratching on that one!) and started fitting all the fuselage skins to the balsa formers. These are all just friction fit for now to make sure things will line up. Little bits are sanded here, sanded there...and you end up with a nice final product. In this case, this is the first paper model I've made that just butt joins the fuselage formers to each other. This is a bit dicey to me as the matches need to be very, very accurate or you get an unsightly lump or Grand Canyon gap. On the other models I've made with convex bodies, you use formers and tabs and the tabs allow skins to slide together. Hard to explain but this one needs extra care. So my skins are glued, but the cross section shapes are just fitting for show!

Steady as she goes!

More soon...Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)-img_5373-copy.jpg   Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)-img_5374-copy.jpg   Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)-img_5375-copy.jpg   Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)-img_5376-copy.jpg  

Last edited by smithdr; 05-24-2020 at 11:00 PM. Reason: missed something
Old 05-25-2020, 08:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Looking real good, Dan.

Wyvern
Old 05-25-2020, 10:23 PM

Thank you, Wyvern!

I got a lot of the fuselage done...at least as much as I can finish tonight. The various subparts are coming together ok and things are lining up pretty well! The left side of the fuselage sword isn't as nice as the one you see here...

I couldn't help but put that lovely tail on and I also added the motor mount and just set the engine in to see how things look. Pretty cool, I must say! It all needs a bit of burnishing of the joints and I need to figure out the spinner and the housing around the engine, but I do think the vast majority of the most difficult parts are over.

Unless the lower wing proves to be my undoing! Lots of odd shaping and fillets too! Arghhhh!
More tomorrow and thanks for looking...Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)-img_5378-copy.jpg   Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)-img_5379-copy.jpg  
Google Adsense