Old 07-13-2017, 12:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Irishman View Post
No sure what this really is. Seems a scaled down version of the 1/33 I have
Is it genuine?
Quite probably not. Here's why:
  • The kit was only released at 1/33.
  • The cover alone looks like a botched edit.
  • Flymodel #109 is USS Alaska.
It probably is a scan/downsized version of the original Flymodel to fit a smaller size paper, and packed with a different cover.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.68 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richschindler View Post
I'm thinking a 1/24 scale Vulcan might be an interesting build. Just kidding, I'd have to clean out my garage to build something that big.
Noting the just kidding part, but I have noticed the number of times people make requests for things that will end up being huge. I also participate in a sci-fi modeling forum (starshipmodeler) and I'm always surprised by the number of people who want "studio scale" ships regardless of the fact that most are between the size of a coffee table to a baby grand. Jan Rukr did a marvelous job on the Sulaco, but I'm slowly working through my download to make half scale pages, 'cause at ~5' it's just too big for anywhere in the house (at least while married ).

I guess it's easy to get seduced by the idea of size; particularly if you have seen large scale models at museums and been amazed. On the other hand museums have huge rooms and huge ceilings. I think getting big kits is a little like getting that Xmas tree that you thought would be fantastic and then realizing it doesn't fit in your living room at all!
Old 07-13-2017, 02:37 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 36.49 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to bloomohio
Size does matter!!!
Old 07-13-2017, 05:35 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by zubie View Post
Noting the just kidding part, but I have noticed the number of times people make requests for things that will end up being huge. I also participate in a sci-fi modeling forum (starshipmodeler) and I'm always surprised by the number of people who want "studio scale" ships regardless of the fact that most are between the size of a coffee table to a baby grand. Jan Rukr did a marvelous job on the Sulaco, but I'm slowly working through my download to make half scale pages, 'cause at ~5' it's just too big for anywhere in the house (at least while married ).

I guess it's easy to get seduced by the idea of size; particularly if you have seen large scale models at museums and been amazed. On the other hand museums have huge rooms and huge ceilings. I think getting big kits is a little like getting that Xmas tree that you thought would be fantastic and then realizing it doesn't fit in your living room at all!

A Christmas tree too large for the living room, NEVER!!! Have you ever seen the movie, Chevy Chases, Christmas Vacation? Now that's my idea of a tree. Kinda full, lots of sap.

In regards to the large scale kits. It's funny you mention the 1/24 scale, because when I went to post the first note I almost said, design it in 1/18 scale. Hey, why not. If it's going to the ridiculous side of the street, why not. AND YES, I was joking about even the 1/24 scale version. Maybe, just maybe a 1/48 scale might be about as large as I would ever go with that one. It's a big bird!!

So with my eyes not performing as they once did, and sometimes my hands just not doing what I ask of them, larger scale kits are the way to go, but!! Once built, where the heck do you display such a creature. So I guess there's is a trade off out there somewhere.

When I see the amount of detail and excellent work some of our fellow modelers do in small scales, I'm totally blown away.

Guess it's just whatever you like, in whatever scale you like. That's what it all boils down to. As long as you enjoy building it.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:28 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 36.49 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to bloomohio
Wink The only scale for me!

since I started with the polish models only 1/33 scale is correct, but for the B-52 model i will need a large hanger !!!
Google Adsense
Old 07-13-2017, 11:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richschindler View Post
A Christmas tree too large for the living room, NEVER!!! Have you ever seen the movie, Chevy Chases, Christmas Vacation? Now that's my idea of a tree. Kinda full, lots of sap.

In regards to the large scale kits. It's funny you mention the 1/24 scale, because when I went to post the first note I almost said, design it in 1/18 scale. Hey, why not. If it's going to the ridiculous side of the street, why not. AND YES, I was joking about even the 1/24 scale version. Maybe, just maybe a 1/48 scale might be about as large as I would ever go with that one. It's a big bird!!

So with my eyes not performing as they once did, and sometimes my hands just not doing what I ask of them, larger scale kits are the way to go, but!! Once built, where the heck do you display such a creature. So I guess there's is a trade off out there somewhere.

When I see the amount of detail and excellent work some of our fellow modelers do in small scales, I'm totally blown away.

Guess it's just whatever you like, in whatever scale you like. That's what it all boils down to. As long as you enjoy building it.
im the same.i love airliners but kinda restrict myself to skylines nowadays as i can handle the 1;72 scale,same with ships jsc are my favorite and luckily for me more and more of their 1;400 range are now being to 1;250
Old 07-14-2017, 04:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.88 MB
Oh wow, Sorry about that Link.

I was googling 1/48 Vulcan and that popped up. I wasn't sure if it was a pending re-release from Flymodel who were re-scaling their kit.

Thanks
John
Old 07-14-2017, 09:30 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
That's why we want people to ask us, mods or admin, in a PM instead of a broadcast post to the world at large. If you don't know who we are post a request.