PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-22-2017, 11:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
The printer distortion is precisely why I resize the images in photoshop and then cut and paste the parts onto the closest size of U. S. paper. Even then, I have run across printers that introduced that kind of distortion, and had to go back into photoshop and intentionally 'counter-distort' the images. It helps to first print a 'test' page that has a ruler type scale both vertically and horizontally on the page.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:23 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 136.87 MB
Concerning printing, You don't mention if the printer you used is laser or inkjet. I myself don't own a printer. I always print my models on a store where they have a very large laser printer. It is RICOH brand and works beautifully. I have re scaled, enlarged, reduced, change colors etc. etc, and ALWAYS the parts come out perfectly. Inkjet home printers were not designed for precise, accurate printing. If you take your model to a printing shop, as I do, the results will be fantastic and very accurate, not only the parts but also the colors. And by the way, laser inks don't fade as easily as ink jet colors do. I have tested several models with full sunshine from Florida for months and the colors are unchanged. So, use professional laser printing and your problems will disappear. And it is not expensive either. It goes without saying that you must instruct the guy who will print the models about the characteristics, size etc. of the model. This is important because if the machine is not properly adjusted, size will change etc. Good luck
Old 08-23-2017, 08:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Scanning also introduces certain amount of distortion. If pages are not properly scanned and stitched chances are there will be small fitting problems.

In any case, since you reduced the scale from the original 1:33 to 1:50, those distorsion-by-scanning problems should be really minor.

Just be careful next time when printing as other members have already suggested with clarity. And you'll have a good printed kit.

I was following this with interest, as the Catalina is one of my many favorite aircraft.
It is a beautiful bird.

The work you've done so far shows you are a good modeler. Parts were clean and well-built.

I really wish you decide to build it again. Is great to see this plane built.

Regards,

Old 08-24-2017, 04:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
I once did the Catalina original size. I failed. Things simply did not fit and the manual was poor.
Maybe that's some kind of comfort?
Ab
Old 08-26-2017, 09:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Printer distortion is one of the reasons I had to limit myself to models with max 4 pages,preferably 2. Much smaller models,much better fit of parts,more models out of a printer cartridge are the result of that switch.

Also because of above somewhere along the line I saw " Scissors and Planes" models and after building V bombers I ended up on this forum.
Google Adsense
Old 08-30-2017, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.14 MB
Hey everyone! Thanks for encouragement and kind words =)

@RickPink65: It's a cheap home inkjet (HP 1050). It does a decent job when a kit is intended for printing (Lilla Weneda from Digital Navy came out great), but resizing is a bit tricky.

@abhovi: Instructions were terrible! There were a few parts that I could not for the life of me find a place for :p

I think I'll attempt to build the Catalina again, in smaller scale (1:72 or 1:100 probably).

Anyhow, here are the final photos:

Cat for scale:

Gave it to my one and a half year old son for play and demolition:

Next project: IJN I-19 Otsu Gata from Halinski.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 38.04 MB
Nice plane. I'd like to see it in 1:33 scale

What about IJN I-19? What scale is it? 1:200 or 1:100?
It's quite old design. I have this model in 1:200. Anyway I'm hapy to see this one
Old 08-31-2017, 12:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.14 MB
@7TP: I-19 is 1:200. Learned my lesson with this plane - no more giant models, at least for now. While ships are easier to manage I will quickly run out of room to put them (unless I keep giving them to the little hooligan to his great delight :P)

Tags
bomber, catalina, consolidated, pby-2, plane