PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-19-2017, 10:09 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Hope she recovers very quickly.

From the builds I have done....... that is caused by the former being too far inside the part. I haven't been able to figure out why it happens, but that is the cause. I stop it(the former) as soon as I get contact all the way around and don't force it any deeper than necessary.

I suspect the cause comes from the change in both diameter and slope angle on the rear of this part.

My Drawings
Old 08-20-2017, 12:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
John, the former was loose inside the fuselage area and I had to put it into the joining strip to get it to make contact. I probably pushed it too hard and deformed the piece. I'll try again.

My dog seems to be in good spirits, but it's distressing to look at her wound, which is pretty ugly. :(

Edit: We seem to have a very limited selection of smilies. No frowny?
Old 08-20-2017, 01:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Almost all airlines have this problem. It comes from the slicing up slanted truncated cones. CAD programs like symmetrical cones and aircraft designers don't. My solution is to add an extra former "5" slightly inside part 13 prior to gluing the fuselage together. It makes the transition from oval to circle inside part 13 rather than at the glue joint.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:32 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARX2 View Post
John, the former was loose inside the fuselage area and I had to put it into the joining strip to get it to make contact. I probably pushed it too hard and deformed the piece. I'll try again.
Maybe I need to look at modifying that former to fit not so far into the part.........it would be just a matter of enlarging it, but it would be very hard not to let it slip pas vertical and therefore start making the part oval again. I play around with different solutions.

Good idea on the transition former Knife......... I knew I added extra for a reason.

My Drawings
Old 08-20-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
Almost all airlines have this problem. It comes from the slicing up slanted truncated cones. CAD programs like symmetrical cones and aircraft designers don't. My solution is to add an extra former "5" slightly inside part 13 prior to gluing the fuselage together. It makes the transition from oval to circle inside part 13 rather than at the glue joint.
Great idea. Thanks! I'll do that.
Google Adsense
Old 08-21-2017, 03:18 PM

This has probably been asked a lot, but when we cut the part, should we cut just outside the line, along the line or just inside it? I guess another way to ask this is: is the outside or inside edge of the line the limit of the part. For the part 13 centering ring I cut just outside the line because it was a little small.
Attached Thumbnails
A320 Air New Zealand-img_20170821_140222.jpg  
Old 08-21-2017, 04:16 PM
Eternal Member

I usually leave the line that way IF it's too big I can always remove more material. Once its too small, beyond being able to add a strip of paper around the circumference to make up for the short fall, all you can do is toss it and print another.

Some of the fit depends on how well the parts was cut from the paper and how well it was matched up during the glue up and IF it didn't slip while drying. I have had all of those problems happen.

I didn't check the formers after scaling up, it seems I need to look at this one and tweak it to fit better. I think the main former; #5, fits very well, at least for me. But I'll add this to the to do list before I release the recolor. I'll also check the others.

I've gotten permission to change the wing support and will work on that also. Not sure if it will change totally or just a little bit. I'll also change the hole markings on the fuselage, fairings, and wings to reflect the changes.

I've started making diagrams to help with the optional small additions to the model and will start on some written instructions for the changes I've made to this model.

I have been sent pictures that I may be able to use to enhance the future instructions.

So hopefully this will all help with future releases....but for now if you have any question; and this goes for anyone working on these releases I've done, please PM me here and I WILL answer as quickly as possible.

john

My Drawings
Old 08-21-2017, 07:05 PM

John, that's all very good news.

I got part 13 taken care of. I dropped the centering ring it into the cone so it lightly fit all side with no pressure. Then I tacked it in place with glue. To make sure all the parts ended up fitting, I dry fitted the model as part 13 dried. When you look at the picture you may notice the seams in the aft don't exactly line up. That's why.
Attached Thumbnails
A320 Air New Zealand-img_20170821_200837.jpg   A320 Air New Zealand-img_20170821_201306.jpg  
Old 08-21-2017, 10:55 PM
Eternal Member

Looking good Joe! Those tapered sloped cone parts are tricky.

My Drawings
Old 08-22-2017, 05:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
I do like John....Cut outside the line and if necessary then removes some material as needed.

i think this is the best way.

YOAV
Google Adsense